California to offer 365 day fishing licenses

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JA$0N, Oct 11, 2021.

1. JA$0N

JA$0N Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59
  2. Bassnbeans

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Dang. Now I can’t say that Gruesom never did a single good thing while in office. Kinda ruins the perfect season.

I believe I read that they will be electronic as well, meaning you won’t have to carry the paper license.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,331
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    It's just going to cost more. That's it. Yay...

4. hookemdano

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +21,831
    Boat:
    1997 Trophy 2352
    yea...now I get to pay more for a license that I bought every year any ways...

5. Chriwilson

Chriwilson I'm your Huckleberry ...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,127
    Boat:
    Nunya
    So, this doesn't go into effect until 2030 ?...

SEC. 3.
    Section 7149.05 is added to the Fish and Game Code, to read:​

(a) A sport fishing license granting the privilege to take any fish, reptile, or amphibian anywhere in this state for purposes other than profit shall be issued to any of the following:
    (1) A resident, 16 years of age or older, for the period of a calendar year, or, if issued after the beginning of the year, for the remainder of the year, upon payment of a base fee of thirty-one dollars and twenty-five cents ($31.25).
    (2) A nonresident, 16 years of age or older, for the period of a calendar year, or, if issued after the beginning of the year, for the remainder of the year, upon payment of a base fee of eighty-four dollars ($84).
    (3) A nonresident, 16 years of age or older, for the period of 10 consecutive days beginning on the date specified on the license upon payment of the fee set forth in paragraph (1).
    (4) A resident or nonresident, 16 years of age or older, for two designated days, upon payment of one-half the fee set forth in paragraph (1). Notwithstanding Section 1053.1, more than one single day license issued for different days may be issued to, or possessed by, a person at one time.
    (5) A resident or nonresident, 16 years of age or older, for one designated day upon payment of a base fee of ten dollars ($10).
    (b) California sport fishing license validations shall be issued by authorized license agents in the same manner as sport fishing licenses, and no compensation shall be paid to the authorized license agent for issuing the validations except as provided in Section 1055.1.
    (c) This section applies only to licenses, permits, reservations, tags, and other entitlements issued through the Automated License Data System.
    (d) The base fees specified in this section are applicable to the 2004 license year, and shall be adjusted annually thereafter pursuant to Section 713.
    (e) The commission shall adjust the amount of the fees specified in subdivision (d), as necessary, to fully recover, but not exceed, all reasonable administrative and implementation costs of the department and the commission relating to those licenses.
    (f) This section shall become operative on January 1, 2030.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. Bassnbeans

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,401
    WHAT?!?! I then rescind my previous remark. Perfect season intact. What a d*** tease!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  7. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,373
    You have to wade through a lot of fine print, but the good news part goes into effect sooner. Bill Text - AB-817 Sport fishing licenses: electronic display: 12-consecutive-month licenses.. For some reason the new provisions are temporary and expire on January 1, 2030. Section 3 that was quoted above then replaces the new provisions. Hopefully, by that time the 365 license will become a permanent thing. At any rate, I will be 88 by then and probably won't particularly care.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,373
    Here is the part that says it will become effective sooner. It is on or before January 1, 2023, and the news release says it will be effective the expiration of the current 2021 licenses.

"This bill would, until January 1, 2030, authorize the Director of Fish and Wildlife to allow 12-consecutive-month sport fishing licenses to be issued in addition to certain calendar year licenses. The bill would require the director to provide the Legislature, on or before January 1, 2025, recommendations for increasing fees for all sport fishing licenses to levels that provide adequate resources to fund sport fishing, including all necessary supporting activities, at the department. The bill would require the director, on or before July 1, 2028, to submit a report to the Legislature evaluating all sport fishing licenses, as provided."

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,127
    Boat:
    Nunya
    Thank you for the clarification Fishbreath
    I admittedly skimmed through sections 1-3 out of curiosity, really only interested in the changes associated to license display.

10. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,085
    Falls in line with everything else. Cant have one thing cost less if everything else costs more, right?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,127
    Boat:
    Nunya
    You've got it all wrong.
    In the end, EVERYTHING will cost more than yesteryear

12. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,621
    "This bill would, until January 1, 2030, authorize the Director of Fish and Wildlife to allow 12-consecutive-month sport fishing licenses to be issued in addition to certain calendar year licenses."
    So starting next year, the measure would allow the director to make these changes....not necessarily require it to happen. However...

According to the Coastal Conservation Association's analysis of the original bill, the intent was to have it go into effect next year. And I scanned the legislative history of the bill and didn't see any changes noted in the various committees it went through. So as per the CCA's writeup:
    Under the bill’s language, there will be no increase in the fee charged for the 365-day license versus a calendar license, and if passed, the 365-day license would go into effect on January 1, 2022.

The CCA has a lot of syllables in its name, so I trust 'em.

If you are one of the lounge snowflakes who believe that citing sources is scary voodoo communist propaganda that will magically turn the reader transgender, magnetize your arm, and scramble your DNA while simultaneously raising taxes...you know who you are...close the page now.

For the rest of youse: California Assemblymember Jim Wood Introduces AB 817 to Establish a 365-Day State Fishing License - Coastal Conservation Association California

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List