Californian rods

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by Thomas R, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Thomas R

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +156
    Name:
    Thomas
    I was just wondering if anybody out there has tried those rods at turners, the Californian series, particularly the tri helix lineup. I know they come with the same blank as phenix but are a fraction of the price. Held a couple of them in my hands and felt nice but could be a different story on the water...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +37,935
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Good rods.. do a thread search, this topic has come up becorb.. often

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,015
    California rods are awesome but not a fan of the tri-helix line up by california or phenix, there significantly heavier "actual weight" compared to a carbon fiber black diamond type series rod....
    If youre at the rail all day its a joy holding onto new technolgy vs clunky heavy crap, light rods, small reels crammed full of spectra, short fluoro leaders.......:emoji_thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,065
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    The rods a pretty light weight and easy to handles, it’s the rod as the M1 Inshore and Axis series depending on the weight. I say go for it.

5. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,015
    Ya, maybe I gpt that one wrong.....
    I know there's a series that weighs a ton & no bueno for hanging onto all day....

6. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,065
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    I know the rod you are talking about and it’s... decently weighted. It’s a true graphite rod I know that.

7. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,015
    I retract my "maybe im wrong"
    All the Phenix "Axis" Helix construction rod builds are like fishing with a brick in your hand compared to a black diamond. Theyre HEAVY as f***........
    Pass...
    I wouldnt spend my money on one!

#7 Slater, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  8. Redjim

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,503
    I am confident with my tri helix 7 foot 30-80. Had 2 issues, self induced. The first time it got tip stubbed and the second time high sticked a by trolling rod broom style while rockfishing. The first time was the night before a big trip and I couldn't get to turners so Joey at Squidco hooked me up with a new tip forest than 5 bucks. When it got high sticked, I was solid with a fish 300 feet down and this guy sets his hook Hacksaw Jim Duggan style into mine. As I'm headed to the surface, he comes down super hard as he was snagged and the stretch pulled taught on the down stroke. 50 bucks and I got to pick any trihelix in the store. I have fished their standard Californian series like the calico special in particular and been very pleased. Tight lines.

9. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,065
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Going to be honest... and this is my 100% honest opinion.. a Axis is light af compared to 90% of the other similar rods.. pinheads, s seekers, seemingly all the calstars. Definetly lighter then Batsons. Black Diamonds and BD Hybrids are most likely the lightest though in comparison, probably a couple UC or Black Hole rods are even lighter. That’s just me though... I don’t care about weight as long as the back bone is correct.

I’ve fished my Axis and I’ve seen the Californian Axis get fished all day by some pretty fishy people. I’ve thrown 3.5oz jigs on them all day without tiring out on WFO bites, and not using a rail.

Fish what works for you, if you feel as if a rod is to heavy for you put it down. If you feel a rod and it feels perfect for your purpose... everyone has a different way of fishing.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  10. Thomas R

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +156
    Name:
    Thomas
    What about graftech rods? They are similar in price for the most part and I’ve heard good things about them too...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,065
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    I’ve heard a positive opinion of the new graftechs as well, although I have not use them. I suggest go through the rods and feeling what is right for you. It may end up being a bass pole, maybe something heavier.

Are Californians or graftechs the end all ultimate fishing rod? I don’t know. They’re no old school Super Seeker or anything like that. I have a high opinion of the Californians, I’ve heard good things about the new graftechs, find what rod feels right for the purpose that you’re fishing and if the price is right go for it.

Best of luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,167
    Not a fan of phenix rods so no lol

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  13. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,624
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    I am not a fan of phenix rods. Seen too many break while being used how they were intended. That isn't to say they are bad rods...just not my syle, I'd rather fish an all glass rod. I did however pick up a used tri-helix Californian awhile ago as a cheaper option for a kayak rod.

What are you hoping to use the rod for? What line class/action are you looking to get? I know those are the typical ******y questions to answer your question, but in the case of the tri-helix rods, I think it matters.

I have the 7'6" 15-40. As for its weight. I feel its light enough to fish all day for sure. But again, I fish glass rods so anything is gonna be light. The actions are described as designed to take advantage of braided lines. But for me, I found that it depends on what I am doing. I am use to fishing mono with glass rods so take that into account with what I am about to say. I found them to be too stiff *FOR MY STYLE* when flylining or fishing anything other than the bottom. I pulled to many hooks fishing just straight braid to a leader. And it wasn't a drag being to tight issue or anything like that. I solved that issue but switching to mono and I was pretty happy with how the rod fished: flyline, slider, leadhead, ect.

But where I really fell the rod fit nicely for me was bottom fishing. This is where I will fish it with braid to a short leader. It is sensitive enough to feel when you are bit or when its just the bottom, and it shuts off nicely and has good backbone to get a good quick hookset just winding into the fish and to get the fish up off bottom and out of structure quickly before it has a chance to dog you in the rocks.

Again, it is just my experience viewed through the lens of how I like to fish. Wont apply to everyone. But something you may want to consider if you have a specific application you are looking to fill with a new rod.

At the end of the day, if it holds a reel and doesn't fall apart you can catch fish and have fun, if it fits your price range and you like it....why not. You can always sell it and recoup some $$$ later if you hate it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  14. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,060
    Take a look at the okuma pch rods too. Killer rods imo.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. OPERATOR SPECTRE

OPERATOR SPECTRE Small stingrays make great frisbees
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,325
    I own an axis.. It's super light compared to any other 10 foot rod I've held.