California's 15 dollar wage

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Meezer_Man, Mar 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,234
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    A lot of business will lay off at least 40% of their employees from what I read. Mom and Pop stores will suffer.

2. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,264
    I'm sure they will suffer. Government is probably mostly who likes this idea, since they are imagining a world with the same amount of entry level jobs, but with higher wages to tax.

3. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,404
    Makes no sense. Will only propagate illegal hiring practices.

4. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,548
    It's a case of vote for me as I got you more money in your paycheck ! These are entry level jobs and are not meant to be career moves folks. My first REAL job was the summer before my junior year in HS at 15 years old. I made $.50 an hour at "Burger Chef" (one of the first nationwide big three along with McDonald's and Burger King but merged with another company ? years later) and was glad to have a job. I was a front man/cashier and God help me if my register was short at closing or my work station not clean. That summer I made $220 but what I learned about being a full time member of the work force was priceless ! Like I'm not going to do that for the rest of my life.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,234
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    My wife friend is a Chef with a bachelor degree. Someone flipping burgers for the same pay. She is piss.

#5 Meezer_Man, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,648
    Boat:
    Tube
    And with this comes the passing of the burden to the consumer. Wages go up and so does the cost of living and doing business. Worst idea ever. Don't want to earn minimum wage? don't have minimum skills.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,842
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Unions love the idea, jack up the dues.

8. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,234
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    Carl's Jr Headquarters are leaving Ca. Walmart close stores in Oakland and other locations. Home Town Buffet went bankrupt. The governor and dems in this state are clue less. They can not run a lemon aid stand.

9. ahowler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +50
    I would be for it if the government would force everyone in the workforce to get a pay increase equal to the amount the minimum wage goes up. Then every time I get my food from a fast food place and they screw up my order I think are they making to much now. This sucks.

10. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,600
    I wish my pay would jump the same amount since it won't be worth as much anymore.

11. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,264
    Government could not make money if they ran a brothel and bar.:facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  12. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,318
  13. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,732
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Get ready for those $8 dollar specials at Mickey D's! Remember when teenagers worked at those places?

14. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,318
    Yup - those prices will go up, as well as many other prices and then we are back to today's issue. They'll want to increase the minimum wage again.

And another good point is teenagers working at those places. Teenagers don't need to support a family - and that is why those are good jobs for them. To increase the hourly rate of those jobs so that the workers can raise a family is not how the economy should work. What if I were to say that I need a raise because I can't afford to send my daughter to Stanford? People will tell me to either realize that is not going to happen and send her to community college, or get a 2nd job (and probably a 3rd).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,648
    Boat:
    Tube
    I have worked plenty of jobs including ENTRY LEVEL retail, food and bev, labor etc... Whats your point? Register to smart for its own good? Mop handle blistering your hands? Burgers not flipping themselves and the fry boxes are oddly shaped for pouring into?? I would love to see some of these people try a career instead of a job for young people. Try flying an airplane, try saving lives on the roadside or kicking in doors of criminals... $15.00 an hour certainly requires more than "Can I take your order". Opportunity is all around, plenty of successful people who make good money because they earn it. Raising the minimum wage will do nothing but raise the cost of living in an already overpriced place. Rents already projected to be $2000.00 or more a month by 2020. 15 x 40 is 600. 600 x 4= $2400.00 a month before taxes. Oh I guess you need transportation and food though to right? Its a simple math problem, what you do to one side must be done to the other. Pay people more, charge people more. Big business survives and the little guys die. But hey at least the skilled food technicians at burger joints can finally get my order right? WRONG!

16. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,264
    The real problem that is not being addressed is that America no longer creates enough commerce or the jobs that go along with actually producing goods, so there is less and less working wage jobs for entry level people to move up to. Raising minimum wage is just a burnt offering to cover the real issue. Also, there is a culture that is pervasive that partners up business and banks, so that there is hardly any position open to anybody who hasn't gone through college or some sort of trade school. In the good old days, you could get management positions without a degree. You could also be trained on the job for technical services by the employer. There were plenty of excellent performing employees that had no expensive formal education for their field in those days.

#16 bassgalrascal, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  17. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,648
    Boat:
    Tube
    ^^ This is true as well. I know people who have no high school education and own homes and do quite well for themselves. However that's even harder to manage today. And Obama Care has effectively turned almost any open position into part time for entry level type work.

18. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,318
    The idea of the "Can I take your order?" job is to provide the most amount of product with minimal effort. The corporations want high output - and that is why those fryers have timers, there are big buttons with pictures on them for telling the machine what to do - little thought and effort should be applied - to avoid mistakes and produce mass amounts. Agreeing with you @STiCKY - just adding my thought as to how the corporations are thinking. I can see that they will, and I already see it, reduce the number of employees. Fewer employees to do the job and the customer will suffer with rotten service, long wait times, mistakes (because the existing employees will be pressured to do produce the same output but with fewer).

19. rustyh

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +990
    $15 isn't even proportional to the inflation rate. Take the minimum wage of 1980 and plug it into an inflation calculator... Then continue to shake your head

20. StinkyPinky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +375
    So, you're telling me that soon my $16 burger, fries, and drink at 5 Guys is going to cost over $20?!?!?! As if I can afford to eat there now...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List