Camping Location Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JFF, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JFF

JFF
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +178
    As the title says, I'm in need of some great places to camp. I have a camping trailer and kids ranging from teens to toddlers. We have an annual camping trip to Carpinteria State Beach (just south of Santa Barbara). Great beach camping. Surf fishing is great there as well. I've done Cuyamaca and Santee.

I'm really looking for places that are National Forest, near or on a river/lake with some scenic value. Or just anywhere my little ones will enjoy and be able to run around. Willing to travel as far as Nevada, Central/North California, AZ, etc.

Anything helps. Just trying to get and keep my kids outdoors.

Thanks in advance!

2. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,671
    In AZ:
    -Hidden Shores on the CO River
    -Anywhere in the Cococino National Forest, around Flagstaff
    In CA:
    -East Fork Campground on Rock Creek, near Tom's Place
    -Twin Lakes, Mammoth (Recommend for kids as it's fairly well-developed and easy access to good fishing)
    -Similar to above, Mammoth RV Park (it's centrally located, easy to plan a series of day hikes/fishing trips and again, a safe area)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. jus bigguns

jus bigguns Troutmaster
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +985
    Boat:
    Nitro
    Local, William Hise, Dos Picos, Lake Jennings, Silverstrand, Carlsbad. Further away, High sierras, Taboose, Tuttle, tinemaha, Rock Creek,Glass creek,

4. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +542
    Can't go wrong in the Mammoth Lakes area. I prefer the campgrounds down in the Red's Meadow Valley, as it's a bit secluded, has beautiful scenery, and good fishing in the San Joaquin River (although, I don't know if they are stocking it this year), and you're only 20 minutes away from all that the town of Mammoth has to offer (groceries, restaurants, etc...).

But staying up in town at one of the lake campgrounds can be great, too, and as already mentioned, there's a ton of fun stuff to do in and around town, from sight-seeing, to horse-riding, to day hikes, to fishing.

If you need any help with questions, on the area, feel free to post them up. I know there are a lot of others that are veterans of the area, like me.

5. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,400
    Name:
    Larry M
    Lake Dixon has a campground in Escondido. II've never camped there but you can fish in the lake without a license, just a permit sold at the lake store.
    The lake has grassy areas with tables, nice picnic spots. Lots of room for kids to run around.
    Pretty hot there right now, evenings are hot right now.
    Camping isn't on the lake, but near it.

Picture is about 2 years ago.

20160917_114909.jpg

#5 Larry M, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  6. Shawn5

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +213
    Lee vining Ca,Aspen camp ground is amazing and has everything you asked for and it's just outside Yosemite national park

7. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,478
    Dunno about camping here in CA... but in AZ? Check out the area around Happy Jack/Clint's Well. My in-laws own a cabin up there and its freaking beautiful. Part of the Coconino National Forest, and there are plenty of fishable waters in the area should that suit you. Blue Ridge Reservoir has been foot access only for a while due to it being at about 25% pool, but its a decent year round trout and panfish fishery. The streams in the area are also good for year round trout action and regs in AZ for trout are waaaaay waaaaay easier to deal with than here in CA.

8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +41,957
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Tuttle, onion valley, glacier lodge, and deadman's creek in the Sierra. My favorites