Camping?

Discussion in 'Barrett Lake' started by UCangler, May 14, 2015.

1. UCangler

UCangler Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115
    Greetings,

Going to be heading down the Barrett for the first time next few days. Wasnt sure if there were places to set up a tent within close proximity to the gate?

Trying to figure out the best way to get there in the early morning from Los Angeles. Without pulling an all nighter drive.

Does anyone know if a tent can be piched on the side of the road or outside the main gate?

My other option was camping the day before at Lake Jennings 1 hour away which means that we have to leave at 3:30am to get there at 4:30.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. MVPA12

MVPA12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +85
    no camping there, but people do sleep in their rigs the night before. p.s. jennings is 45 min away. I live next to it.

3. dooolan

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +975
    Viejas indian reservation has a campground, 16 miles away or 22min per google-maps

4. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,948
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Barrett Honor Camp, but I'm pretty sure that is an exclusive club!

5. Breakjaws

Breakjaws Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Pio Pico / Thousand Trails on Otay lakes Rd is probably about 20 minutes away. Also Indian Hills campground on Lyons Valley Rd is about 10 minutes away.Both sites are in Jamul

6. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,473
    Just pull up in line and crash in your truck. If youre looking for something else, the guys that posted above have some ideas.

7. John345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +485
    Name:
    John V
    I come up from Mexico to Barrett each year. I had a tough time finding anywhere nearby the first time. I ended up staying at Pine Valley Inn which is about 10-15 minutes from the entry gate to Barrett. http://www.pinevalleyinn.com/ I would also suggest checking out Lake Morena. They have campground and cabins for rent. I went there a couple of weeks ago. The fishing is also pretty good there. So you could always make a weekend out of it. Fish Morena one day and Barrett the next. They are very close to each other. Plus a boat rental at Morena is only 30 bucks for the day. So it's pretty inexpensive to add that to your weekend. They have had some pigs come out this year. One was over 15 pounds. Plus about a half a dozen over 10 pounds. I lost an 8+ at the boat. I called it a day and went back to my cabin almost in tears. Wife saw my face and thought I lost my gear in the lake judging by my face.

8. UCangler

UCangler Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115
    Thanks guys for all the replies. Your help was very appreciated.