Can someone confirm this rumor?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Nute, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,244
    I heard some frightening news form a very reliable source yesterday while at El Cap. He spoke to one of the lake staff regarding the water levels STILL dropping there. He was informed that they are dropping approximately 18" a week to feed Murray and possibly San V some more. Also, it is a strong possibility that El Cap will drop close to 20 more feet vertically. Also, possibly making the boat launch un-usable. Great, juuuuuust great.

If this is true, it has to be the biggest load of crap ever pulled off by the city. Again, its become quite clear that the city could care less about us anglers, but this is a complete joke. Yea, lets drop the levels right when spawn is starting and expose all the beds!! A+ you city dipshhhhhh.

However, this hasn't been mentioned on any websites that I could find, and god forbid the city actually communicate honestly to the public. Someone please look into this.

On a lighter note. Join me in saying HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my friend, brother, and all around good guy @DonSeedless !!!!!!!!!!! Happy B-day bro!!!!

2. JJbasser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,830
    i hope not. otay can't take any more pressure! and the spawn?!
    happy B don.

3. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,244
    That would also mean ABA, Sd team series, NBW, and all tourneys will be drastically effected. Last time I checked, that is a decent revenue generator for El Cap. Honestly, what is the logic behind this???????

4. SWW

SWW Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83
    Haven't heard any "rumors" but the water levels are still falling. It is down a good foot in the last two weeks at cap. I can assume general usage would cause this.

5. SWW

SWW Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83
    Jennings and Murray are notorious for this EVERY year....nothing new here. ;)

6. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,244
    Im there at least two times a week. It's gone down at least 2 plus feet in just the last two weeks. general usage is causing the lake to drop 18" a week? Murray and Jennings are known to fluctuate based on their size and location. Thats all. I guess we wont have to worry as El cap will be about the same size soon. SMH

7. ribbit

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +26
    Dock worker said yesterday about 6 weeks till launch ramp is high and dry. No plans to bring water in. Better get out there while yu still can.

8. SWW

SWW Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83
    Seems that something is for sure to be going on. After a week off the water, it is down 2-3 ft in this last WEEK!

9. fish4bass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,085
    As of Feb. 22 El Cap was only 10 feet up from ramp closure. Since the city hasn't updated water level stats since then who knows where it is right now. I understand the city has many reasons for taking water from El Cap, but come on, where does it stop. They have already sucked Morena and Barrett down to nothing with absolutely no way to give back to them. Was this another El Nino blunder from the city thinking all the reservoirs would fill up this winter from all the crazy rain they were convinced we were going to get.

10. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,210
  11. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,570
    #11 Fishbreath, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  12. RKMM

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +723
    Name:
    Lori Felchlin
    Boat:
    None
    I didn't/haven't posted anything (here or on the City's website) because there is some 'stuff' still needing to be worked out.

Yes, both the City and Helix are drafting from El Capitan. The water is going (pretty much) straight to the filtration plants and out the potable water pipes.

Yes, it is TENTATIVELY (I really really hate that word....sigh) estimated that the ramp will become non-operational sometime in April.

Yes, we (and the DFW) are contacting the clubs in regards to their scheduled upcoming tournaments.

Lastly (to beat a dead horse) it's not that the City doesn't care about the spawn, revenue, etc., etc. it's that they care more about 1-Delivering safe potable water to everyone and 2-Saving the citizens money (approximately $10 million dollars) by pulling water out versus purchasing it. El Capitan's revenue wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket to cover that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  13. zzbassman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +269
    Once this fancy desalination plant goes online will it make any difference? Or just a big waste of money?

14. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,244
    Well, I guess that pretty much confirms (tentatively of course) what we heard on the lake the other day. @RKMM, thank you for at least chiming in on this. Really sucks that there's nothing we can do. Bummed.

Are other lakes going to be effected as well?

15. RKMM

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +723
    Name:
    Lori Felchlin
    Boat:
    None
    As of right now I have not been told anything about the other lakes being affected. However, I am in no way "in the loop" on that and stuff (weather, drafting, water costs, mandates, etc.).

As for other 'things' making a difference (desal plant coming online, possible El Nino/future rains, state cutting our mandated cut back, etc.) that's why I didn't really want to post anything. There are several factors that could come into play that could possibly make this whole TENTATIVE scenario moot. We aren't denying/hiding that we are pulling water and that the level will go down, but we can't say for sure for how long or by how much. We could lose the ramp, or we could not. Maybe we lose it, but not until May; or possibly the El Nino finally gets off it's collective lazy bum and finally gives us real rain.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  16. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,244
    @RKMM thank you. I know I sound like a little whiny kid not getting his way, but I/WE really do appreciate your input and effort to keep us informed. It's a crappy situation to matter how you slice it. I know I talk crap about the city and it's allocations etc, so it's nice to have you let us get a glimpse behind the curtain once in a while.

I did some digging around for some articles regarding this years el nino. This guys wether blog has been pretty accurate so far. Maybe, just maybe it's not over?

http://www.weatherwest.com/

17. StinkyPinky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +606
    If that lake is closed to boats for any extended period of time, I'll move. This is garbage and costing a lot of people money and the thing they love to do most on their free time. How much money will be lost on all the tourney series, clubs, weekend anglers, people not buying permits, not spending at tackle shops? What a joke, and an even funnier one that the ones responsible couldn't care less. I don't care what anyone says, they don't care

18. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,244
    But we will buy a 1.6billion dollar stadium!!!!!

19. RKMM

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +723
    Name:
    Lori Felchlin
    Boat:
    None
    Heh, I sound like a whiny kid at work right now ("but it's MY phone number out there not YOURS......."). I try not to take the complaining to heart; it can be difficult at times. I try to remind myself it's not the messenger that the annoyance is with :bawling:

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  20. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,852
    You're the lone shining star of the city of San Diego. If people up the ladder cared as much as you, San Diego would be a better place!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List