Cardiff - High Tide -> Slack

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by joe, May 8, 2009.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Went fishing for about an hour at Cardiff. Heavy surf, heavy on the salad, but the outflow was calmer. No luck with the fly rod and my new tie, but drop shot'd a green grub with unibutter and it caught a 12" Croaker where the river rock met the sand. Actually thought I was just hung up on the weed. Well, 1 fish beats getting skunked! Good way to end my days off.

Joe

2. GTSCHOLAR619

GTSCHOLAR619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    haha i know what you mean...I went to pump ghost shrimp at low tide around 4 in the morning at J street down way south san diego cause i live in the eastlake area if you know where that is. I got finished around 6:30 and the morning then went to Imperial beach to fish for a little bit cause I had an appointment with my school counselor at 8:30 so I got there at like 6:45 got 3 bsp's but real small...the high tide was rising.....hated the seaweed. 3 fish in like 45 minutes all on ghost shrimp. Had real bloodworms and gulps but didnt use them....then i left then me and my cousin went to mission beach and it stunk bad over there too much wind and too much current....I had to deal with like 4-5 sets of waves...it was horrible...caught one bsp and it was the same size as the ones from IB. Going to torrey pines in the morning on monday...the only place i had the most success rate even though this is my 4th time surf fishing..still a newb. Do you know when is the best time to go surf fishing? I was wondering does it have to be 2 hours before incoming tide and 2 hours after? I hear 2 hours before sunrise even if the tide is low or whatever....I dont know what to believe...if you have pointers about surf fishing let me know especially any good spots down here in southern san diego cause torrey pines is kind of far especially if you come home with nothing....thanks

Glenn

3. krucz36

krucz36 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i generally try to fish the incoming regardless of when it's happening. i've never had luck on outgoing tides. but that's me.
    i know what you're sayin on that croaker, i caught a monster yellowfin at torrey last summer and was convinced it was a clump of weeds til it toreass up the beach!