Carp questions

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Fishferdayzzz, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Fishferdayzzz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +364
    I’ve never really fished for carp but I’m itching to get some on my trout gear. I wanna try sweetwater for carp but I don’t even know if it’s open yet. Anyone know? Anyways I was planning on using corn since I’ve read it’s good bait. Just regular corn?? Or do you guys prefer a specific type of corn? As well as rig. Carolina rig? Dropper loop or using a bobber? Like I said I have no idea how to fish for carp but they seem like the most underrated freshwater fish! Sweetwater is probably the only lake I’ll fish for them if that helps with the questions idk haha. Thanks!

2. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,870
    Start with canned sweet corn or bread balls on a light Carolina rig. Then graduate to hair rig and boilies.

3. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,120
    Hair rig is the classic setup for carp, if you don't need a heavy sinker to cast, just use a split shot. Can use commercially prepared carp bait, probably find it at Walmart, certainly at Amazon. Santee Lakes has lots of carp too also San Diego River. Morena is just infested. It's illegal but seeding the area with canned or frozen corn works wonders, doubt that anyone would care though. Definitely let the fish take the bait for some distance, spinning reel would be better in that regard.Get a 20 pound carp on your trout gear and you will wish you had something bigger. They don't feed on the bottom by sight so you can tie braid right to the hook, most hair rigs I have seen used braid, softer than mono so less likely to be spit out.

4. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,549
    Name:
    MattL
    Carp are my favorite freshwater gamefish, I think your curiosity will be well rewarded.

As others have said, start with corn, then upgrade to hair rigs. I recommend Hodges. Fish any of the shoreline between the parking lot and the launch ramp. The shoreline beyond that is excellent as well but the underwater trees get thicker and landing them is a challenge. I'd recommend bypassing the trout gear and using at least a medium power rod, preferably medium heavy.

After hooking my first good sized carp, I think I targeted bass one time in the entire following year.

5. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,870
    Matt, have you ever seen carp in the shallows at Hodges from shore? Can you sight fish them?

6. Fishferdayzzz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +364
    Yuppp! Foul hooked one at santee a couple years back and it fight pound for pound harder than any bass I ever caught. They seem hella fun to target

7. Fishferdayzzz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +364
    Guess I’ll try Carolina rigging some corn to start out with at sweetwater. They have pretty small mouths no?

8. spideyjg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,219
    #6, 8 or 10 mutu lights are my goto. I learned to tie hair rigs and use them. Small mouths compared to many but 10#+ carp it isn't all that small.
    Carp are beastly fighters and your best chance at a big freshwater fish. Very few anglers target them.

I want small ones, <3lbs, for IV catfish bait but average caught is around 10lbs.
    Got one in the All American canal bait hunting that probably went 12-15. Far too big to deal with.

#8 spideyjg, Jun 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  9. NibbleSquad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,315
    This wont be popular but I've had my most success using straight 10# braid on my trout gear. They get tricky to land around 5# and up. I've steered them through structure by loosening pressure on them when they run to trees. Sounds counter intuitive but it works for me. You have to make split second adjustments to how much pressure to put on them at a time. 1/16 carolina rig and a small hook the same size as a kernel or two of corn.

10. spideyjg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,219
    I have about 4-6 on the hair. I use 10 or 15 lb line.

11. Urklehaze

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +807
    Is Morena open from shore yet?