Catiching in Clear water

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Mr.Fin_S, May 4, 2009.

1. Mr.Fin_S

Mr.Fin_S Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Im still in the hunt for the best ways to catch my limit at Otay. drop shotting is always the go to but im positive it isnt the only way. Because its so clear i feel like im limited. i have a few "Day on the Lake", episodes TiVo'd and it seems like the pros still try some reaction baits in similar conditions like spinners(burning them in) and jerk baits they also said slow moving jigs and baits might give the fish too long of a look to trigger them to bite. Im some what confused with what to lean towards and hoping you guys might have better knowledge to follow being that its a local lake and not an eastcoast bass hatchery. So would jerk baits be a good effective way to fish and is it true that slow baits like jigs be uneffective in clear water? And what else would be a key way to fish in clear water during the spawn.

2. fishindad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,712
    Spawn is just about over at Otay.Start to think Post spawn with Fish Hanging out away from were the Beds were but not to far away.Mid way between deep and Shallow before they stay deep for most of the summer.Good time of the year at just about any local lake depending on what stage it is in .Fish get hungry post spawn.Some of our local lakes are in spawn still.Hodges and Otay are usually first to spawn and first to post spawn.

3. lurk 1

lurk 1 New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    so what he's trying to say is that your chances of catching them on something other than your drop shot are better now than they are the rest of the year. i like suspending jerkbaits, deeper running cranks, and traps as far as reaction baits for clear water.

4. Mjr. Bendo

Mjr. Bendo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had good success throwing x-raps as well as shallow diving square bills off the wood in otay arm...when the fish are deeper throw jigs....d-shot works year around....if the fish aren't hittin one bait/presentation switch it up until you find what they like