Chargers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fisheromen, Nov 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,855
    Sure is. I'm NOT insinuating any of you guys are bad football fans. Not at all.

But the truth of the matter is, San Diego isn't a good home for an NFL team. There are lots of things that contribute to that. San Diego County is a wonderful place, awesome place to live if you can afford it! But hasn't supported an NFL team like other cities do.

I'm not trying to insult anyone. Not calling anyone out. Just trying to demonstrate why it hasn't worked, and really trying to reiterate that there are a LOT of worse NFL teams than the Chargers. San Diego was lucky to have them. They're not the Patriots, Packers or Steelers, but they're above average.

2. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,234
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    3 NFL teams left Los Angels and 2 of the 3 move back. Same reason Kellen.

3. Big Daddy TR21

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +839
    Boat:
    Skeeter ZX225
    watch the video, no one there and a couple Charger fans yelling at Spanos when he gets on stage.

4. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,855
    Yes, but if the risk of going to Los Angeles is that your games will be poorly attended, it's not a risk at all. Because the games in San Diego were already poorly attended. If you're going to win, and still not have fans show up, then might as well play in a bigger market, in the "best" sports stadium in the entire world, where you'll make a ton of money anyways.

If the ONLY reason Dean Spanos had to stay in San Diego was to be loyal to San Diego...well what do you expect?

You think he doesn't know that during a 10 year period he was the 5th winningest franchise in the NFL, and boasted a bottom 5 worst attendance record? Why would he stay? What is the actual incentive to stay?

You don't think he noticed when his team was 14-2 in 2006 and tallied the 27th (at least, could've been as low as 29th) worst attendance record in the NFL?

And you don't think he rolls his eyes when he hears people in San Diego say..."well, if the Chargers were better, we'd support them" when he knows that's a damn lie?

So there is no risk in moving to LA. At worst, your team makes more money while still being poorly supported by the fan base. At best, you win football games, make more money, attract more free agents, and the fanbase shows up and you sell out football games.

It's a win/win. And here we are.

5. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,855
    I'm sure they didn't expect anything else.

6. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,234
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    Time will tell Kellen will the Chargers have fan support when the PSA kicks in the billion dollar stadium in Los Angles. It a gamble that Dean Spanos that willing to take. High risk.

7. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,855
    What is the risk?

8. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,234
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    Lower fan support at shelling out 8,00 dollars to buy season tickets. You think they are going to make money the next few years. I am well aware Dean Spanos getting 1/32 of the TV money. See a empty stadium sections take been block off.

9. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,499
    At the end of the day...it's about one thing...Super Bowls...how can I not blame Spanos????he owns the joint...all the excuses about why they can't win a ring are old...sure you can't prepare for everything...but you should learn from your mistakes...that's what an owner would do...at least a good one...so who's fault is it...the fans...the players... nope...it's the person who calls all the shots...you have to figure out a way to win and be competitive...no excuse

10. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,499
    And you're right..San Diego is a great city...so much to do here...not like a lot of places with great fan bases because that's all they got...so knowing you have to compete with that how do you get butts in seats...win a ring...50 something years of disappointment is a bad business model..I understand the reason for the move...but don't blame the fact youre leaving on the fan base...that's your fault...keep it real dean that's all I'm saying...you couldn't figure out how to compete with San Diego so you're gonna go somewhere where it might be easier...basically relying on a numbers game..I get that...

11. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,234
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    The only NFL team in Southern Ca for over 20 years and move to share a stadium. He has to compete with 2 baseball teams, 2 basketball teams, 2 hockey teams and share a stadium. Oh there is the Trojans and the Bruins. He wanted a down town stadium at taxpayers expense and got voted down in Nov..
    Dean Spanos was booed at a Laker basketball game recently.

#111 Meezer_Man, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  12. Big Daddy TR21

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +839
    Boat:
    Skeeter ZX225
    Exactly, no excuses. He had his chance to build a winner and fired the best coach he had in years in Marty Schottenheimer. He let some of his best players walk away and go play for winning teams like Rodney Harrison, Jr, LT and many others. How many NFL teams fire a coach after going 14-2? Only one and that was the Chargers.
    Spanos didn't want to be in San Diego anymore and he knew how to get out by asking for the moon and not getting it. He did exactly what he wanted to do, have a vote on a stadium he knew would not pass. No way in hell 60% of the city would vote for it.
    This is the same guy that was going to put in almost a Billion dollars to build his own stadium in LA last year and the NFL shot that down. This is the same cheap SOB that is paying over $500 million to move to LA, yet only was willing to use about $350 million to build a stadium here. This is proof that he wanted nothing more to do with the fans or city of San Diego, I hope all of you join me and not supporting this team any longer.
    He is a cheap SOB that wants everything and throws a fit when he doesn't get his way. I for one will not look back, I say good riddens and don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out!! I hope all San Diego fans find a new team to support until a new owner is in place, only then just maybe would I consider to be a Charger fan again!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  13. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,721
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    So ^^^ , You don't like the Chargers any more? :D

14. bajacamp

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +626
    No more Chargers...I have adopted the Steelers......

15. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,546
    We may do the same. We were big Steelers fans back in the 70's. Everyone loves a winner, right? It was a little more than that for us. We were following Terry Bradshaw back then. He was a hometown boy from Shreveport where we went to high school then on to Louisiana Tech where we went to college. He was several years behind us, but my wife went back to Tech to finish some degree requirements while he was still there. We were in Europe for a couple of the Super Bowls and listened to the games on Armed Forces Radio starting about 1:30 am. We did not get AFTV in the Netherlands.

16. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,855
    What he was willing to invest in the LA market can not be held against him. If he was willing to invest 1B in LA, that doesn't mean he can afford to invest 500M in SD. Business doesn't work like that. The 1B is a safe and sound investment in a bigger market. 500M may not be as safe and sound of an investment in SD. He's not rich enough to personally suffer losses like that, and there's a good chance banks and investors wouldn't risk 500M in San Diego.

He'd get that 1B back from Los Angeles easily and then some, just off of new seat licenses, suite sales, and franchise equity.

If you were opening a restaurant, you might be willing to invest $1M on a spot in the Gaslamp, but you'd be a damn fool to invest the same amount in Campo. So you might turn down the option of putting up $80,000 to open a restaurant in Campo. It doesn't mean you hate Campo, or don't want a restaurant there, but simple economics dictate how much money you can smartly invest in a smaller market.

#116 Kellen, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  17. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,855
    Big game this weekend!

18. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,855
    Those of you who aren't going to stick with the Chargers through the move have a wonderful opportunity here. You can pick whatever team you want, and no one is going to judge you for picking a perennial winner. I'm kind of envious.

The Steelers are a sound pick for sure.

I'd caution against the Patriots (if anyone is thinking that), they may have another SB or two in them, but when Brady retires and Belichick no longer has the energy to prepare for football 19 hours a day for 11 months of the year, they'll be chasing ghosts for decades trying to rekindle this magic.

The Packers are attractive also, a feverish fan base that secures a home field advantage for 8+ games per year. That's a winning atmosphere, and Aaron Rodgers has a lot of tread left on his tires.

19. oh da shiz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,840
    Boat:
    Ranger Z21
    I think this sums up how Rivers feels about the move... Just look at Dean Spanos face
    FullSizeRender.jpg

20. skeeternate

skeeternate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    This has truly been a tough week no doubt for Charger fans I haven't made up my mind about following them next year but there is no way I could just pick a new team it doesn't work that way. At this point I don't even like watching any football and it's the playoffs! Hopefully Dean sells the team

#120 skeeternate, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2017