Chargers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fisheromen, Nov 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,855
    Rivers doesn't give a crap they're moving. He's been disappointed (though tactfully) over the years with how Qualcomm affords no home field advantage for the Chargers. A lot of Chargers found it disheartening.

They go on the road and struggle to communicate on the field, get false starts and have confusion lead to negative plays for them due to the crowd noise. And then they come home, play 8 games in front of a crowd that doesn't afford them the same luxury.

They've noticed. They generally avoid calling out the fans in public, but every year a player or two slips and publicly points out how weak Qualcomm is. They get blasted for making excuses, and don't make the same mistake twice.

If there is one measurable, REAL thing you can point to that actually provides a competitive disadvantage for the Chargers on the field and their ability to win important football games, its that. No home field advantage.

Part of that is the design of the stadium, where its inherently "quiet" on the field anyways. But the other half is the fans, which have historically been matched by the visiting teams' fanbase.

Teams that win Super Bowls have loud stadiums packed with fans that ACTUALLY IMPACT the game. They play in those stadiums 8 times in the regular season, and a couple more in the playoffs. It helps them win football games, especially in the playoffs.

The Chargers have never been able to enjoy that luxury. So they're not exactly playing on a level playing field with a lot of the franchises in the NFL.

2. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,237
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    Born in San Diego in the 50"s and the team moving to Los Angles. Won't follow the Chargers. What Dean Spanos did was a slap in my face. All for greed. Just watch the Super Bowl game..

There is a Charger Hall of Fame building in Balboa Park. Will that move to?

3. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,237
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    The stadium was loud when Don Coryell was the Coach. Dan Fouts, Kellen Winslow, Charlie Joiner, Wes Chandler and Louie Kelcher pack the stadium. Anybody remember the fan wave in the 80"s?

#123 Meezer_Man, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2017
  4. oh da shiz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,849
    Boat:
    Ranger Z21
    Spanos is ready to fork out $550 million in relocation fee with no stadium to call his home. However, he was only willing to put $350 million into the downtown stadium proposal leaving the City of San Diego, NFL, and hotel taxes to pay the balance. Obviously, his reasoning or business model involves details keep behind closed doors. Measure C was doomed from the beginning since it limited the voting pool to only residence of San Diego City and not for the entire county to vote on.

The Chargers had a sweetheart deal at Qualcomm with no rent and a sell out ticket guarantee for several years. Yes, the stadium has run it's course and needs to be rebuilt and I hope the City of San Diego will rebuild a new stadium at the same location for SDSU and UCSD to use until the NFL appoints or allows another NFL team in the San Diego market. IMO I can't see the NFL leaving our market without a team. The allure of San Diego extents far and wide and I'm sure it'll be missed by a lot.

stepping off the soap box now

5. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,855
    Unless something has changed down there that I'm not aware of, that's not a Chargers Hall of Fame. That's the San Diego Hall of Champions building and the Breitbard Hall of Fame. They honor athletes that played in San Diego, in all of the sports, including the Chargers. So I don't think that would change.

I suspect Philip Rivers and Antonio Gates will one day be enshrined there as Chargers for their time in San Diego. But I don't think Joey Bosa, Melvin Gordon, Keenan Allen or any other future Chargers that might excel will be inducted.

6. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,237
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    -
    Rivers and Gates will be locks.

7. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,855
    That all goes back to my analogy above. You can't compare the two figures equally. You also have to consider the Chargers use Goldman Sachs for the financing details of all of this. It's more likely than not at this point that Goldman Sachs laid out the numbers of what was available for each option, and that's that. Los Angeles IS worth more than San Diego. If that offends San Diegans, I'm sorry. But it just is what it is. There are more people, more businesses, more money up there.

While Spanos ultimately controls his money and his business, he's demonstrated over the years that genuinely trusts the people he hires. He hired Goldman Sachs to watch the finances through this process, so I'd be willing to bet he's going along with what they're advising him.

I just don't see San Diego attracting another NFL franchise. I think an MLS franchise is a better appropriation of resources at this point.

There are proponents of the San Diego market within the NFL, guys like Jerry Jones, but they don't seem to be the majority, nor do they seem to be outwardly supportive of the San Diego market. They were given the chance to essentially open their own wallets and keep the Chargers in San Diego, and they declined. So they're not all that serious about the NFL being played in San Diego.

The general consensus within the NFL and their current collective of owners is that Dean Spanos put in not only a worthy amount of effort to stay in San Diego, but exceeded what would be considered reasonable. In other words, most of the owners agree Dean Spanos tried harder to stay in San Diego than they would have.

The market in San Diego is not attractive enough for an owner to come in and privately fund a Super Bowl worthy stadium in San Diego. Nor will you find enough investors willing to contribute collectively to make it happen. Any owner going to San Diego at this point will also have to put up the relocation fee, which currently is worth $550M, but will increase as the league does.

So in the end, the city of San Diego, or the whomever in San Diego County that wants an NFL franchise is going to have to figure out a way to pay for far more of the stadium than they had offered to for the Chargers. And the way things are in San Diego, can you see that vote being approved?

My advice to San Diego...embrace the Padres and the Aztecs. Help SDSU get a football venue that allows them to grow and recruit and hopefully give you guys something decent to watch.

The Padres have some young talent, there might be some pretty good years ahead for the Padres (not 2017).

Heck, the city of San Diego might even be more apt to spruce up their city lakes now. Might be a good time to see if we can convince city council that San Vicente, El Capitan, Hodges, Otay, Miramar and Murray are worthy of some appropriation of recreation funds.

8. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,237
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    Well many cities can afford Billion dollar stadium Kellen?

9. BassinNova

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,687
    SDSU "could" become nationally ranked if they were able to convince the local talent to stay but that won't happen unless the school has top notch facilities like their basketball team. Dean should have left earlier instead of stringing everybody along and pretending to want to stay here. Speaking of bandwagons, the Cowboys are setup to be pretty good going forward.

10. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,237
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    I like to see San Diego bring back the trout at the lakes.

11. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,237
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    Defenses will look at film at Dak weakness next season. See RG III, Colin Kaepernick and Brock Oswald. I forgot about Tim Tebow. QBs take about 3 years to get read.on.

#131 Meezer_Man, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  12. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,855
    Dallas is short on talent in a lot of spots, especially on defense. And Dak is a question mark. I'm one that doesn't think the Cowboys are playing for a Super Bowl any time soon.

I guess it depends on how their next few drafts go. If they draft really well, they'll compete. Question is, do they win before they get chewed up by the salary cap of these young stars (Dak and Zeke) getting to the end of their rookie contract.

Jason Garrett also seems to do a relatively poor job of managing games. He's definitely no Belichick.

13. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,855
    Not sure what you mean here?

14. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,855
    I find it ironic that you guys say its about one thing, winning Super Bowls, as if that's the end all, be all to a successful football franchise...while at the same time holding the firing of Marty Schottenheimer against the ownership.

The one legitimate knock on Marty was that he won a lot of regular season games, but always choked in the playoffs to lesser opponents.

He owns the record for the most wins by an NFL coach to never even make it to a Super Bowl. He was 5-13 in the playoffs.

He's also the only coach in NFL history to have at least 200 wins and also have a losing playoff record.

And if he was such a tremendous coach, he'd have been scooped up by another NFL team instead of landing in the UFL coaching the Virginia Destroyers.

But hey, he did finally win a championship, in the UFL. So I guess he got that monkey off his back...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. oh da shiz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,849
    Boat:
    Ranger Z21
    A lot of the Chargers problems had to do with AJ Smith as the GM!

16. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,237
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    A lot of cities budget has taken by union police pension and paid. Some cities file for bankrupty. Bell, Stockton and Orange County in Ca. the past few years. Not much money for stadiums

17. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,517
    I never mentioned Marty but that was dumb too...it's not about superbowls? Cmon maaan...it is if you want more people to show up to games...for some reason I like to make food analogies..not sure why...but let's look at the Chargers as a burger joint...this burger joints not bad...the sides are on point...the fries are well seasoned maybe even curly...the chicken wings are crispy...the milkshakes are delicious....but the hamburger is horrible...now since the sides are good...I might come through once in awhile...maybe on the late night...I might even recommend you to my friends but will make sure to tell em the burgers are just ok but everything else is great...but if you can't get a burger right..and you're a burger joint...I won't be a regular customer...and if you can't win a Super Bowl and you're a football team...you won't fill the stadium..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,855
    Super Bowls are great, and that's the ultimate goal for an NFL franchise. But its not realistic, as a fan, to expect your team to win the Super Bowl on a consistent basis in order for you to support them.

Winning football games, really just being competitive on the field more often than not is really all you can reasonably expect as far as I'm concerned.

I think the Chargers have played better than the fan support has suggested.

If you're demanding Super Bowls, then there are only a few teams in the league that'll meet those expectations for you. None of which play in California (unless championships from 25+ years ago count).

Heck, there are still 13 teams that haven't yet won a Super Bowl, so its not like the Chargers are all alone in futility here.
    1. Chargers
    2. Cardinals
    3. Falcons
    4. Panthers
    5. Titans
    6. Bengals
    7. Eagles
    8. Vikings
    9. Bills
    10. Browns
    11. Lions
    12. Texans
    13. Jaguars
    Sorry about the Marty reference, I thought you brought that up first, but that was Meezer.

19. BassinNova

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,687
    I'm getting hungry :rolleyes: for a double double.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,517
    I pretty much agree...I was a charger fan until a few days ago...through all those disappointing seasons...I'm just sayin I understand why they couldn't sell tickets...and in my opinion it starts at the top..plus it is San Diego...sooo much to do...I can list a ton of other reasons they couldn't fill seats...so there's a ton of factors the Chargers couldn't control...but there were some they could control and didn't...