Cheap scope for air rifle...

Discussion in 'Hunting & Firearms' started by carpkiller, Oct 19, 2020.

1. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,105
    A friend gave me a Daisy 880s, a .177 cal pump gun. Didn't expect much from it. The scope that comes on that gun is no help to my jacked up eyes. Took it off and having some fun plinking using the sights...on my 16 foot "indoor range."
    When I properly apply the 8 Steady Hold Factors like Ol' Sarge taught us, the BBs go where they are supposed to. And there is a youtube video of a guy who tested 20 different kinds of pellets in that same rifle...his best was a 5/8 group at 25 YARDS. Not bad for a gun that costs 34 bucks.
    With a scope to help my ****ty eyesight I should be able to put 5 rounds in one ragged hole, once I get my mechanics straightened out.
    So. Any recommendations for a dirt-cheap scope that would work well on an air gun? Bear in mind the rifle was free... and cash is tight.
    Thanks in advance,
    CK

#1 carpkiller, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  2. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,154
    Amazon has a Nc Star 4 X 20 scope for $10.99 and the same scope that comes with a Daisy 880 is the same price and is only a 4 x 15. Any thing else is going to cost $$$ and the gun is not worth it with it's limited range. Walmart has the complete gun w/scope for $36.

3. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,105
    Hi Weldon,
    Yeah, I have the 4 X 15 scope that came on the rifle. It does not work with the torn retina scar in my right eye. Shooting lefty works off a rest with open sights, but I want to shoot righty...and offhand. A decent scope will restore my sight picture enough so I can shoot righty again, but I need a bigger objective lens.
    So the Daisy by Winchester 2-7 X 32 might work...but yeah, it's 45 dollars on Amazon. Would I spend more on a scope than the rifle is worth? Well...I wouldn't be the first guy to put a forty dollar saddle on a ten dollar horse.
    And hypothetically, if a person had this gun really dialed-in, he or she might be able to execute a single-shot solution to the rats in the pomegranate tree, with out alarming the neighbors in the next mobile home. A 3/4 inch square of electrical tape might approximate the kill zone on a rat...and putting 4 out of 5 shots in the black with open sights could be fun on a hypothetical indoor range. And a scope might tighten up that hyphothetical group.....

20201018_205917[1].jpg

4. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,154
    Any scope really worth the effort is going to cost you at least $75 and as we both agree the gun isn't worth it and it's true what they say about putting lipstick on a pig. I have .177 and .22 pellet rifles both mid range in price and I rescoped them both with 4 X 16 power 50 mm optics and they cost around $125 each but I can get "1 (min of angle) grouping at 35 yds with them using quality pellets on a good day. Quality air gun scopes are specific to airguns due to the double "thump" the spring enacts during the "firing." If it were me the Nc Star scope at the price and with a 20 mm optic lens is probably your best bet for your Daisy. Getting the accuracy ( 5/8 inch at 25 yds ) as you stated with a round BB (.177) projectile from watching the video is probably beyond the average Joe at that range. I have just shot a large rat in my garage with my .177 and it took two shots to put him down and that's with a 7 grain hunting pellet at 850 fps so don't expect the same results from a round BB at 400 fps unless it's head shots. I used to sit in the dark in my back yard patio with my .177 equipped with an attached under barrel green spot light (green light doesn't spook 'em) as the rats were raiding my bird feeders and wife's fig tree. After scoring on several the smart little critters soon wised up and would move so fast by the time I could track and get ready to pop 'em they would scatter but it beat watching evening news/political shows on TV so good luck. And yea I moved my bird feeders to the front yard.

5. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,105
    At my previous residence I killed three rats, firing through the dining room window at the bird feeder outside. Used a pump gun borrowed from a neighbor. It was a .22 and wildly inaccurate....sent a lot of lead downrange to get the rats. But the .22 slug sure did the job when it found its mark.
    Just talked to my friend...he's got a few different brands of pellets, so I'll try 'em out and see which one my gun likes. Been shooting w 5 pumps on the short indoor range... I'd definitely go 10 pumps and use the heaviest slug that functions for rat-hunting.
    I figure hell, it costs more than 25 bucks to go see a movie in a theater, what with raisinettes, popcorn and a soda...and that's only fun for two hours. If I can get scope that works I'll consider it money well spent on the giggles.
    I am gonna tell my friend about the green light...he's not afraid to throw money at toys. Right now he uses a headlight, you'd think it would spook the rats, but they freeze when his rottweiler posts up under the tree...pop. So far he's killed four or five.
    (edit) Weldon: 1 MOA...duuudde....!

#5 carpkiller, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  6. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,517
    Name:
    Larry M
    This is the .22 pellets that I use. Its supposed to expand on contact. This Crossman pistol works with 10 pumps.
    I bought a laser scope for the Benjamin rifle at Big 5 but it's still in the box.

20201019_142759.jpg

20201019_142129.jpg

7. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,105
    Thanks, Larry....if you have found that that particular pellet works really well (either compared to a bb or other pellet), let me know what kind it is. I saw some Crosman hollow points that I might try once I get my marksmanship polished up and decide to wreak havoc on the rats. I also have some gophers I'd like to stalk...but daylight ops would make the neighbors' heads explode.....

8. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,517
    Name:
    Larry M
    No information on the box.
    My mistake, I bought them at Turners on Clairmont Mesa Boulevard.
    No more rats for a long time now. Just mice, we live in a rual area. When they get into the house the cats get them. Squirrels are the most problems now with the holes in the back yard.

9. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,095
    Name:
    Eric
    Good or even decent optics aren't cheap. That said, I have an AIM sports 4x32 scope i paid about 50$ off Amazon. Have it on an AR style 22. I have a 30$amazon laser sight on there too made by picatinny (or something like that). Wouldn't trust either one with my life, but for the price, both are pretty accurate if not bumped around alot.

10. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,105
    One youtuber called the standard scope "a straw with crosshairs," and he's not wrong. A nice guy has made me a heck of a deal on a scope he took off when he upgraded. I just want to see if a functioning scope will help me keep shooting righty, despite all the scar tissue from the detached retina in that eye. All I wanna do is punch some holes in targets...and if that works out, maybe ventilate a rat or two in the fruit tree......

11. cavedog619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,383
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback 2020
    For dirt cheap scopes go to Big 5. That's all they sell. Heck, it looks like you could probably get by with good ole' iron sights. I'm a Leupold and Trijicon guy myself.

12. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,105
    20201022_134738[1].jpg
    This cheap-*** gun's iron sights are nearly zeroed. Put 35 out of 100 BBs (stop rolling your eyes) in the black on the short indoor range last night. But between my unsteadiness and blurry vision....most "groups" barely qualified as such. But when I did everything right...once...5 in the black, 3 in one ragged hole. Hoping the pending installation of a scope will improve the sight picture, and more practice will tighten up my mechanics. The guy who gave me the gun says he's got a few different kinds of pellets...gonna try 'em out and see which one this beauty likes best. Maybe go to a real range and shoot at 25 yards...about the max effective range for this toy, by all accounts. Youtube shooters are banging out half-inch groups at that distance, once they find ammo their gun likes....

#12 carpkiller, Oct 22, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,704
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Reminded me of something one of my sons did! ;)

14. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,105
    Don't kid yourself, Paul...all your sons did it. Only one got caught.

15. oldfogey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,434
    Name:
    Mike
    very good idea to try different types and brands of pellets. Reloader here....I 've had pretty good luck over the years custom building ammo for rifles basically turning a rifle that shoots factory ammo like a scattergun into one holers by fitting ammo to a specific gun. In your airgun's case the variables will be pellet weight and diameter.

16. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,704
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Only one had to buy a new window!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,105
    Just happened to be at Walmart...sprung for some pellets that one guy on youtube loved...or his gun did...and other guy rated 'em as okay. Crosman 7.4 grain Premium Destroyers. The first two groups I fired matched the tightest out of more than 100 groups fired using BBs. Guess some of those fliers weren't my fault after all.... pellet.jpg

reborn plinCKer

18. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,906
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    I know this will sound out of place on a " BB " gun but scrub the bore well between switching from steel BBs to lead or tin pellets . It will bring a sharpness back to the rifling . I always have had good luck and accuracy with Beeman pellets . The old Benjamin HC pellets where also good particularly when a pellet sizer was used . If you like the open sight aspect I believe Daisy has a set of hooded diopter sights available for those guns , shoot almost as good as a scope. WR Add I have a couple of 3x9 x38 scopes I will let you try out just for grins . The reticle maybe a bit thick for what you are doing but would at least give you an idea of the image and sight picture with your eye problems LMK

#18 William Ritchie, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  19. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,105
    Thanks for the offer, William! However, I already fooled around with a few scopes in a friend's garage...found a 3-9 32 that really helps with the vision issues. And Weldon's got a similarly spec'd scope he's gonna hook me up with.
    And yes...cleaning up the bore will happen before I spend time (and maybe money) shooting at 25 yards. But for now, I'm still blasting BBs and 2 kinds of pellets. Fired 10 round groups today on the indoor range...10 pumps instead of 5 to see if the extra velocity would tighten up the groups.
    Waddaya know. The best-shooting pellet got even better.
    201029 10 pumps 10shot groups 3 ammo.jpg
    And yeah, my 10/10 notation on the target was a little...optimistic. More like 9/10 touching the black.....
    Et Piscantur, Et dices ad mendacium

#19 carpkiller, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  20. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,105
    Found some slightly heavier pellets today. 10.5 gr. up from 7.4. The lighter pellets rarely made groups smaller than the 7/16 targets. These new pellets...gettin' there....

20201102_220654[1].jpg

issues with the less-than-precise mounting rings I bought have delayed the installation of the nice scope Weldon set me up with...

#20 carpkiller, Nov 3, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2020