Checklist

Discussion in 'Kayak and Paddle Board Fishing' started by bendopolo, Jul 16, 2020.

1. bendopolo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +472
    In my first ten trips with my new PA 14 I’ve experienced several rookie mistakes. None real bad but I’m trying to alter my procedures to correct. Top three were, left my Mirage Drive in the patio, left my FF in the garage, and left my PFD in the patio. To be fair I thought my PFD was under the front hatch. Pretty forgetful but in my defense, I remembered everything else. So last night I made a checklist and laminated it with movers tape. It now hangs off a knob in my truck. It is out of the way but easily visible. Hopefully it will make up for my early morning giddyness and lack of coffee. Look out fish, here I come!

2. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,469
    I forgot my paddle one time (not using a Hobie). Didn't know until I was unloading at the beach. Another kayaker asked how's it going - told him I forgot my paddle - so he offered his spare.

3. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,935
    One time I started uploading my kayak at Murray and I left my PFD in the garage. I worried about the odds of a game warden being there and back home I went to get it. Then one time I was at Otay and had no braid line cutters which means I could not switch baits on 2 rods. Lots of mono fishing that morning...ha ha
    There are probably more things but those are a few things that I remember now.............

4. PyroFox79

PyroFox79 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104
    I left my PFD in the back of my kayak and lost it somewhere between Shelter Island and escondido. Left my seat at home on the 4th had to drive back and get it. It happens.

5. bendopolo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +472
    Thanks for the commiseration!
    With my list, I didn’t forget anything today. 9 Calico Bass, 1 WSB on live Mackeral off Newport today.

6. BassRygg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +176
    Boat:
    Topwater PDL Kayak
    I'm pretty good about remembering what to take.. but I once left my paddles at the lake when loading up to go home. Didn't realize it until I got home. Drove back to the lake (Puddingstone) and they were gone.

7. danielbrose1

danielbrose1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Name:
    Daniel Brose
    Hey, at least you didn't forget to put your drain plug in! I was about halfway out to Oceanside AR2. My kayak felt weird so I checked inside the hull, I had a little water but not much. continued on and I could tell I was taking on more water. Luckily there were a couple guys out there. I asked them to check and see if my plugs are in and one of them was not. The right one had broken off before but I usually keep it in my car, today I forgot to put it in before going out. Thankfully I had a bright idea. I pulled one of the foam blocks out from inside of the hull and cut it into a plug shape and had one of the guys help me out and put it in. Could have been a really bad day if there wasn't anyone out there to help me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,876
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    May have dodged death there, danielbrose1 .. glad it worked out and you thought quick too