Child Camps

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MattL, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +583
    If a white collar criminal felon goes to jail, do we let them out so their kids are not separated from them?
    Illegally crossing the border is a felony.

Can the mom or dad sue to get out of jail? After all, equal protection under the law....right? Goes both ways. I would love to see this suit filed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  2. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,289
    Name:
    MattL
    They're not breaking the law. Asylum seekers are protected under the 1951 Refugee Convention. Even if they were breaking the law, I wouldn't care, because there are circumstances driving that decision that don't reduce down to criminal motives.

If a white collar person came across our border fleeing epidemic cartel violence, and presented themselves to immigration authorities in good faith, I would say that it would indeed not be appropriate to rip their child out of their arms. I would also say it would be a bad thing to deport them back to their country of origin without an established protocol to reunite them with the child(ren) we took from them.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,999
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Typical liberal rhetoric. You didn't mention "Nazi"! Is the solution as simple as the problem? Put the family up in the Hilton? Turn them all loose?

4. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,289
    Name:
    MattL
    I'm not a liberal. But fine. Here's your rhetoric - if somebody rips a helpless person's child out of their arms to put them in a cage, i don't think calling them a fascist is hyperbolic.

You talk like separating kids from their families is some kind of inevitability instead of an arbitrary, cruel-spirited policy carried out for the purpose of intimidation. You cannot possibly believe the only available options are Sophie's Choice and giving them all four-star hotel rooms. Don't be fatuous.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,999
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    So take everyone at their word? Open the floodgates to all "asylum seekers"? Are you prepared to house a couple families?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,289
    Name:
    MattL
    No, there is an established protocol for processing asylum seekers. I suggest we follow that. If there are reasonable grounds to believe they have a real claim to refugee status then we should grant it to them instead of kenneling them like dogs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,999
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Still have not seen any solutions to this "simple" problem in this thread.

8. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,289
    Name:
    MattL
    Extend asylum seekers due process, do not treat them with cartoonish cruelty, help them find housing and work if and when they are granted refugee status, never repeat this nationally humiliating mistake.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +583
    Asylum is seeking the escape mass persecution.

Asylum does not include wanting to leave a poor country to seek a better life, wanting to escape your wife beating husband or living in fear from crime.

Now if a cartel put a hit out on the all the news agencies in Sinaloa or Michoacán, that would be true asylum seeking.

Seeking out a better life from a corrupt country is not asylum. All of Central America can not be assimilated into the US.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,716
    Illegal aliens have far more rights then u.s. citizens do. Anybody here ever get caught trespassing?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,395
    Where should the asylum seekers be held while they wait for due process?
    How long does the due process take before they are granted or denied asylum?

12. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,289
    Name:
    MattL
    By our own laws, an asylum interview has to take place within 45 days of an application being filed and a decision has to be reached within 180 days. I think it is inhumane to incarcerate people in refugee camps and would prefer we give them ankle bracelets and allow them to live relatively free lives, under observation by law enforcement, during the interim.

Even if you think that is too lax a policy, I think basic human decency forbids any consideration of "forcefully removing children from their families" as anything but a mistake.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,395
    What would they do during that time? They have no passport, no way of finding work, most likely not enough money to stay in a hotel during that time.

14. kciuchta

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,518
    Name:
    Kenny
    Please correct me if I'm wrong. The way I understand the situation is these people were found to have crossed the border by means other than a port of entry. That is the illegal part. If they went to their home country's US embassy or showed up to a US port of entry to claim refugee status, then they would be processed differently - as refugees rather than criminals. Due to the actual crossing in an illegal way, that is the situation where parents are arrested and children are held in limbo. Is this how it's been working?

15. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,289
    Name:
    MattL
    I would not be opposed to setting aside federal money to give them shelter, food and basic amenities.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. kciuchta

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,518
    Name:
    Kenny
    Isn't that the living conditions while detained? Plus medical treatment and education for children?

17. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,289
    Name:
    MattL
    Entering a country illegally does not bar them from seeking refugee status.

"Because of their vulnerable situation, asylum-seekers are sometimes forced to enter their country of refuge unlawfully. The Geneva Convention does not stipulate that states are required to grant asylum-seekers entry to their territory. Entering a state party to the Convention unlawfully does not forfeit protection (Article 31) and illegal entrants can still qualify as refugees if they fulfil the relevant criteria. ‘Refugees unlawfully in the country of refuge’ should not be punished for their illegal entry if they come directly from the territory where their life and freedom was threatened and if they report themselves immediately to the authorities, showing good reason for their illegal entry (Article 31)."

Refugee status under international law

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,289
    Name:
    MattL
    Sort of, yeah. We're already spending money to give them shelter and food. I'd just like to see it not be prison conditions. I think there are ways to keep track of them without incarcerating them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. kciuchta

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,518
    Name:
    Kenny
    Seems like they're being processed to prove the refugee requirements. I agree with detaining them for this purpose. Now, I don't understand separating them from their kids UNLESS it's to keep kids away from adults in jail. Really I would imagine there's not sufficient resources/facilities set up as refugee camps to house whole families.

20. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,289
    Name:
    MattL
    As part of Trump's new "zero tolerance" policy they're just being held until they can go before a judge that will deport them. The Trump administration also stated that the child separation policy was consciously adopted only as a "deterrent," meaning an attempt to terrorize potential immigrants out of attempting to cross the border.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List