Clear Lake Adventure

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by daytonfish, Aug 12, 2018.

1. daytonfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +548
    Name:
    Dayton
    Boat:
    Pelican Striker 100x
    so i’m with my family taking my sister to college at humboldt, and we rented a little cottage at the side of the lake. they had kayak rentals available and all i had was a rod with a senko tied on. they opened up at 8:30 and i rented one of the 8’ sun dolphin kayaks(that was all they had). even when i first started to head out i knew this was going to be really sketchy. so i fish to the left of where i launched, tossed the senko at some docks, nothing, tossed it at rocks and trees and grass in the water, still nothing. i saw some nice bass busting on the surface so i tied on a small popper even with my 6lb line. no luck on the popper front, back to the senko. i see some boulders and reefs across the lake, so i paddle over there, i’ve been to la jolla so it’s no biggie. i fish reeds, nothing. another dock rolls by and again no fish. at this point the wind is starting to pick up a lot. i casted at the boulders again nothing, and i realized today that i’m pretty good at skip casting under trees. although my casting skills were no use to the absence of fish on my line. i keep casting at reeds rocks and trees and shady spots but after realizing that nothing is going to happen i decide to head back. as im paddling back i look behind me and see that the back of my boat was full of water. i kept glancing back trying not to roll myself like i already almost did, and at the time it looked like i didn’t have a drain plug! i looked for the nearest beach and booked it over there. the tiny kayak was full of water and super heavy. this kayak can barely handle wake when it doesn’t have water in it so it was just a sh*t show. i’ve had my personal kayak for a year and a half and this was the hardest i’ve ever paddled. i made it to a rocky beach with homeless people watching me get my shoes wet. as i pull the yak out of the water it’s 3x as heavy as it was when we put it in the water. i looked in the back to find that there was a drain plug, so i took it out and water shot out consistently for a good 5 minutes. 4747852D-007C-4234-84E7-E241B72EFE56.jpeg
    I then flipped the kayak over to find that there was a little hole on the bottom. A28BAE04-F0F3-4D4F-8273-9DB8E732F80C.jpeg i had to call my mom to have her come pick me up, and the manager of the place was nice enough to give me the kayak ride for free, and another ride if i want to. and if you’re wondering, there is a ton of smoke here from the fire. in fact it covers the lake like fog. 74650F7B-98F6-4D74-A953-4759C5F8A248.jpeg

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +28,141
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Damn.. and here I was hoping for big bass and a rolled kayak.. glad you made it back alright..

3. daytonfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +548
    Name:
    Dayton
    Boat:
    Pelican Striker 100x
    i still don’t really understand the bass here.. i’m a saltwater fisherman so it’s even harder in a new lake. is there something i was doing wrong? i mean the water was dirty ironically enough and i used a black blue flek senko, pitched it at walls docks trees reeds rocks, didn’t get bit once.

4. Deputy Dusty

Deputy Dusty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +94
    Name:
    Dustin
    My family has some property just outside clear lake I’ve been fishing there a bunch of times and we never caught much of anything. That lake is massive and takes time to figure out.

5. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +28,141
    Boat:
    3 too many
    otay michael , have some insight to share? I have always heard jigs at clear lake... Not a bass or freshefres guy too much, myself..

6. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,015
    I always check in with Clear Lake Outdoor tackle store, they are very helpful on what's working that week. Saves a lot of trial and error, and keeps those pesky stripes off the back. ;/) This time of year I'd be fishing frogs, buzzbaits, spooks, maybe spinnerbaits, depending on slime build up. Senkos should have worked, I would have thought.
    Fires up there this time of year are a given, unfortunately. We've got friends that are currently evacuated around that lake. Some just got back to their homes.

Clear Lake Outdoors | Fish one of the best bass fishing lakes in the country!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. Dry Fly Rie

Dry Fly Rie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +248
    Bummer on the tough outing, and I'm glad you made it to shore safely. If the senkos aren't working up shallow around structure, try throwing them, or some other plastics, out a little deeper off points or along any creek channels you can locate. Drop shot, maybe, in some deeper water.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List