Clear Lake, Berryessa and Son's 2nd Pro Tourney.. check!

Discussion in 'Bass' started by toolbox, May 30, 2019.

1. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,285
    Got a chance to check off two of my bucket list lakes and I will definitely be back. Jr. was fishing his 2nd FLW Tournament and I got a chance to prefish a few days with him. He spent almost two months up there and had the bite pretty dialed. Of course when I get there the weather changed dramatically with crazy rains and a 20 degree temperature drop.

Day 1 was an eye opener for me, our first stop was on an offshore rock pile in pounding rain and literally 2-3 ft waves crashing over the bow. With his spot lock on and trolling motor pinned at 10 we began throwing some t rigged speed craw. His boat is made for big water but never had I been in such rough conditions other then trying to get our butts back to the dock. I kid you not, he had a dozen chunky LMB's in the boat before I even got a bite. Finally I got my sea legs going and figured out how to better feel my bait with all the chaos of the crazy weather. Now it was game on and we spent the day checking out several other offshore rock piles and all of them producing well.

Day 2, and the day before his Tournament, it was all about returning to some shoreline areas where he had done well, just to make sure the temperature change didnt effect where he had found them. We had an easy 25lbs by 9am and the weather got out of control so we called it a day.

The Tournament was a different story as he lost a battery day 1 and was without his trolling motor by 930am and to make it worst his live well went off and he had to return an hour early to his weigh in and ended up losing two of his fish which cost him a lb in penalties putting him at 26th out of 115. We found the dead cell battery and replaced it but he lost another battery on day 2 ending up 35th overall. As frustrating as it was for him he learned a lot. With Lake Mead and Clear Lake now under he is belt and still sitting at 17th overall, he realized that he had a lot to be proud of and you know I am too!

With 1 day before we returned home and the weather still bad as ever we loaded up early for an 1.5 hour drive to Berryessa. Again, with pouring rain and crazy swells we launched. Because of how bad the weather was we never went more then a mile from our launch but had an epic bite anyways on LMB's, Smallies and Spotted Bass. So my trip was now complete! We never landed any DD's in either lake, nor did I get close but it was so worth it!!! 20190519_135432.jpg 20190517_144809.jpg 20190516_122154.jpg Screenshot_20190516-105809_Chrome.jpg

2. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,285
    He also got a little ink during day 1. See Scott Mosey:

Screenshot_20190530-210500_Chrome.jpg