Clear soft plastic lures do work

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by spoonminnow, Nov 1, 2018.

1. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +876
    I've been experimenting with clear soft plastic lures I pour and add to other grub bodies and the results are in: they catch fish!
    Some may think clear plastic, hard or soft, is colorless. Farthest from the truth. Fact is any lure changes color including clear plastic depending on background whether against the surface, bottom or too the side. Reflected light from above outline the top contour of a lure and inside the lure - the bottom contour. So in effect, available light always reveals both a visual shape and lure action thereby accenting what the lateral line reveals.

Now some anglers don't believe panfish much of a test of certain lures bass might attack - but they'd be wrong. Fish will be fish and fish species don't draw the line between lures all fish are drawn to strike. For lure makers and designers as well as anglers in the market for lures they can depend on, catching fish is all that matters regardless those who claim some lures won't or shouldn't work for bass. Plus, many anglers have been conditioned to believe certain colors in certain lures should be selected for specific lake conditions which clouds the truth regarding the range of lures and lure colors fish may bite.
    Someone on a tackle making forum showed a plastic worm loaded with glitter and asked if it was too much. My response: if it catches fish, great, but in my experience a little goes a long way!

In fact, I decided to pour some clear plastic design and test them: some all clear, some with only a clear tail. Water temperature and clarity once determined what I should use on any day, but that changed years ago. Knowing lure designs I know work to find catchable fish led me to test clear lures. This are examples:
    38uqvSE.jpg YeXJPKj.jpg
    The top and bottom clear lures worked yesterday as well as the lures shown above:
    ZeyTLl1.jpg

Next to try out will be clear swimbaits and some other designs I know catch fish. This will emphasize again the fact that color is secondary to lure shape, size and action regardless of what some strongly suggest that color limits are key most times.

2. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,843
    I like your little homemade worm keeper. And I love the look of your little tadpole bait with the clear tail. Did you pour that tail onto that bait? I have trouble getting hot plastisol to adhere to cold plastisol when I combine parts. They definitely stick, but they pull apart easily. And they pull apart right on the seam of the two adjoining colors.

3. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +876
    I make hybrid lures by briefly heating one end and then the other in less than 3 seconds. Too much and the seam will be uneven when you join them. If the lure is long enough, I roll the seam quickly over the flame to smooth it. If not, I use a battery powered soldering iron and smooth the seam thereby making it more resilient.

Worm or grub keeper method:

FpfkbY3.jpg

YfnOlbX.jpg

JySewQV.jpg BrUYzE3.jpg

Cy6KDWT.jpg LZxvzBH.jpg

ol66wyX.jpg

4. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,433
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    Great discussion here. I urge you to keep experimenting. I think you may be missing a major part of the puzzle though, and that is that sound waves made by moving objects in the water play a big part in getting a fish’s attention. Since water doesn’t compress, anything that moves, sends out sound waves that are picked up by a fish’s later lines. That’s why a Zara Spook, even a clear one, is such a great fish catcher. With each jerk of the rod it sends out very loud sound waves as it twitches from one side to the other.

But research has shown that color also comes into play. Years ago Dr. Loren Hill, former Director of the Zoology Department and Biological Research Center at the University of Oklahoma, after nine years of research, established a range of 26 colors that were best visible to the eyes of a fish. Through careful observation and patience, Dr. Hill was able to train the fish to differentiate 26 colors positions under optimum conditions. He then altered those conditions to simulate various times of day and varying degrees of water clarity. With each change, the correct responses were carefully measured and recorded.

As a result of Dr. Hill’s research, the Color-C-Lector was developed and sold to fishermen to help them determine what color is most visible to a fish at different times of the day, as the angle of the sun changes, combined with the clarity of the water and the depth.

I worked with Dr Hill in producing and testing different colors in the field in conjunction with the Color-C-Lector to determine if what Dr. Hill found true in his laboratory, held true in the field. For the most part it seemed to, particularly during the fist few hours of sunrise and and the last few hours of sunset.

One theory that was never tested was whether different colors emit different sound waves. Dr. Hill felt there may be some correlation since a reflected color can be measured in angstroms, (a measure of wave lengths).

Bottom line is that movement in the water sends out sound waves that gets a fish’s attention and the color of what is causing the movement determines how easily the fish can spot what is making the disturbance. For some species, as the fish comes closer, scent then comes into play to help the fish key on its next meal.

5. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +876
    Never heard that before. In my experience in water that is clear to colored, a few colors are all I need as long as lure action, shape and size are adequate. The Color C Lector didn't convince too many anglers of its advantages seeing as there was a big push to chose realistic colors that matched forage, which I still find ludicrous. Also, the meter didn't take into account color brightness or flash much less clear lures which I've proven to catch all species.

I've own Knowing Bass by Keith Jones and always remembered this statement:
    "...if a color or color pattern evoked strong instinctive aggression, those lures would consistently yield higher-than-average catch rates. Yet despite the myriad of anglers pounding the water day after day (who are in essence conducting one giant outdoor experiment), no such color has been discovered or a consensus among anglers that any color is reliably better. If bass have favorite colors, they're keeping them a secret." also

"Colors become filtered out the deeper one goes, same for muddy waters."

Unfortunately (and because he was subcontracted to Berkly Comp.) he stated:
    "Matching the prey color as closely as possible could spell the difference between going home the victor or the vanquished." ...but goes on to make sense again:

"We might do better to consider lure detectability or the ease with which bass can spot a lure against a background being more important than a lure's color. Try looking at your color choice from the bass's visual perspective instead of relying on the way a lure looks like to you in the boat."

"In the daytime, bass can appreciate subtle variations in motion, fine details and color and the angler's choice of lure size, shape and action as well as color patterns may all prove to be critical."

#5 spoonminnow, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  6. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,433
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    0A0AAB96-DF8A-4883-8B9A-7865FC065680.jpeg Strike King has a line of crappie baits designed by Wally Marshall (Mr. Crappie), called SLAB SLANGER. The hollow tapered tail gives the bait more flexibility, creates a pocket for scent pellets, but most important, in my opinion, will trap a small air bubble which reflects light better than any glitter known. You might try making some of these with clear plastic tails.

7. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +876
    I've found that the stubby tail (in the top post photo) and cone tail work as well as most tail designs.

cone tail:
    W2M1jw9.jpg jKMMcn9.jpg ioTWIW8.jpg

The action is a bit different than the Slanger though similar to it in that the tail quivers slightly, but unlike it the lure's body wobbles side-to-side with a certain rod tip action. The perch shown was the first fish I caught with the cone tail yet I had no idea when I made the thing! From then on, I made more cone tails and make sure they're in the tackle box.

One thing I'm sure we agree on is the value of a subtle lure action using a slow retrieve. Curl tail and Sassy Shad tail actions don't fall into that category. The claw from one lure added to the body of another does:
    69XJmR2.png

#7 spoonminnow, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  8. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +876
    "You might try making some of these with clear plastic tails."

Here are more clear tail or totally clear lures:
    I985lsG.jpg
    tjMaT3i.jpg cNISFds.jpg nm8DlTq.jpg
    IjiSpfx.jpg zDZwTNJ.jpg Df7yf2l.jpg

The taper-tail sticks were wacky rigged and caught many fish the first time I tried them.

#8 spoonminnow, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019