Clear water lakes

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by xrookiex, May 30, 2020.

1. xrookiex

xrookiex Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Today marks a day I'm ashamed to admit in the amount of skunks I have had in clear lakes. As I begin to dig in and acquire knowledge I thought I would ask you all. What is your advise on fishing lakes where the water is clear? Specifically for bass. I just can't seem to put the pieces together. But that's fishing, and that's why it's fun. The only thing I can think of is my line is not right, 40 lb braid to 12 lb flo. Anyways, appreciate any response.

2. SocalofSD

SocalofSD Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98
    Stay back. If you can see them they can see you. Since our lakes are pressured the fish adapt so sometimes it's gonna take some effort get bit.

3. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,326
    Boat:
    SR-18
    Our Florida strain LMB are naturally extremely wary. Nearly 100% catch and release culture has educated the catchable population further. Clear water makes it worse. Be quiet. Make long casts. Don’t try to catch fish you can see, they see you too, know something is up and shut down. Fish uphill.

4. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,842
    If you're finesse fishing, go with a lighter leader. I know guys that drop shot 4 and 6 lb for the very finicky fish.

5. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22,966
    Fish with light lines.... is one of my main suggestions. I used 6lb test in lakes like Miramar, Poway, Dixon, Jennings etc...it will help. The downside is if you hook a big bass with light line...the odds go with the bass. Mix it up and have a rod with 6lb test and one with 8lb test and up. Start with 6lb and if successful then go to 8lb test. Try that for a while and see if that helps you. Another thing...@SocalofSD hit it on the head....stay back when you fish clear lakes. It is human nature to look for bass in the clear waters. Don't!!!
    Make long casts and you will be better off as you do not want the fish to see you. Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,729
    Boat:
    It floats
    Crawdads

7. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,544
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    I use the same size leader material when I use one and many times even heavier.

If its 100% floro its invisible, right? Its what we are all told.

I use straight 30-40 braid when reaction fishing. Top water, flukes and such. Same with Senkos in the trees and such. Water color or clarity is not an issue at that point.

where the line matters in my view is bait type and presentation. If drop shotting 4” worms a 12 pound leader is most likely a bit heavy to allow the bait to work as freely. Thats my view on that. Drop to 8 and see what happens. Maybe it allows the bait to look and work better. I dont buy into line shy like many others do. I believe its all presentation. And thats where line thickness comes in not water clarity.

I would also flip the switch on how you are setting up the rods. If worming use 6-8-10 pound braid to an 8-10-12-14 pound leader on a spinning rod. 8 braid is much stronger than 14 Floro for tensile strength. And it casts so much better than heavy braid. The leader gives you abrasion strength.

The salt guys do that all the time. I have adapted it for my style after fishing with salt guys and it works very well.

40 braid as a main line and 6-8 -10 leader? I have never been a fan of that. They're just too far apart in rating. 40 braid and a 2ft 17-20-25 leader. Sure. Something that matches up to a hook set of the two lines strengths.

Give that a shot and see how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List