Climate crisis??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by old_rookie, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,083
    As I'm at work right now.

2. C-takagi

C-takagi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    soz fam; if I could stop the flow of time, I would

3. C-takagi

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    fair enough

4. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,083
    For millions of years, Mother Nature has always "healed" herself. Be it flood or fire or other need, she has always taken care of matters solo without our intervention. You know this, right? No matter how much we fail to take care of her, she will always come out of any predicament unscathed. I have a pretty good idea we'll all be alright.

The world will not self-implode in twelve years (credit to AOC for putting that fear in young hearts everywhere) and all life will not cease to exist. It would be really cool if you all could understand that and stop the drama. Come on. It's time to look forward to the immediate future.. you guys have a President to impeach, and we have a boatload of people to send to prison !!

5. ScubaLee03

ScubaLee03 Real Estate Broker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,155
    Agreed and wish I could hit two buttons!

6. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,348
    Many scientists disagree with AGW theory however if you request grants for a study to counter the AGW theory you are usually denied the grant needed to explore your theory. Hence the 97% of scientists agree. If you want funded you reaserch with a pre determined outpit unless you want to be refunded.
    You claim it has always been a slow increase and decline but now we are climing a cliff. How do explain periods of higher CO2 levels wgere the earths temp didn't increase. How do you explain that the global temps peak and drop before CO2 levels. The high temps are met and start to drop before co2 levels peak and drop. Wouldn't that indicate temps actually influence CO2 levels and not the other say around.

7. C-takagi

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    I appreciate your optimism, but we said the same thing about whales, about rocky mountain locusts, about passenger pigeons, about black sea bass, about sea otters, about northern bluefin, about thylacine, about California Grizzlies, and about the bison.

8. C-takagi

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    did you read any of the resources I provided? probably those have the answer. I'm a biologist, not a climatologist. I dont know how climate change works, just like I dont know how gravity works. but I can see the effects that it's having, and I sure would like to stop it.

I do know that other gases like methane increase warming, and that sulfur dioxide and particulate can cause cooling, like in the aftermath of volcanic eruptions. that would explain your assertions that temperature and CO2 are disjunct.

9. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,348
    Ha ha and we said there was going to be massive flooding 10 years ago. The ice caps are supposed to be gone. We were supposed to be in an ice age in the 80s. We were supposed to starve to death do to over population 10 years ago. The earth is flat and the sun rotates the earth. All were scientific concensus at one time.

10. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,348
    My assertion is CO2 does not heat the climate it provides valuble food for the enviorment. Hence high CO2 levels created a pwriod where pkants grew to 8 times there current size. Animals got huge and life thrived.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. C-takagi

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    where are you getting the idea that we were supposed to be in an ice age in the 80's? also where are you getting the claim that we were supposed to starve to death from overpopulation 10 years ago? and also we are getting massive flooding right now, the whole *** midwest flooded a few months ago, texas flooded last year, ect. the ice caps are significantly decreased, but no one said they'd be gone by now

12. C-takagi

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    when was this?
    are you talking about the carboniferous forests?
    because that was actually the only period in the past 600 million years where CO2 levels and temperatures were similar to today's, according to this article

https://geocraft.com/WVFossils/Carboniferous_climate.html

13. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,348
    Research your own academia before you blindly follow and you will see a long line of false predictions. In the 70s there was a scare much like now that we were headed into an ice age. We were gping to starve to death because we were going to be under ice.
    If you believe the CO2 levels were near what they are now you haven't done your research.

14. C-takagi

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    I'm gonna need you to cite your sources.
    that which is asserted without evidence can, should, must, and will be dismissed

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. C-takagi

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    https://skepticalscience.com/ice-age-predictions-in-1970s-intermediate.htm take a look at this; while the media was getting all worked up about an ice age, most scientists back in the 70's were actually predicting warming as well

16. C-takagi

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    also, what is your opposition to moving towards renewables for energy generation? I'm struggling to see why someone who doesn't directly work for the fossil fuel industry would be opposed to fewer coal mines polluting rivers, fewer oil rigs polluting the bays and beaches, and fewer fuel fired plants polluting the air. nuclear plants are cheaper and safer in the long run as baseline, and with good battery setups, solar and wind can supply surge power. i fail to see why this is offensive to anyone but oil companies

17. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,348
  18. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,356
    Name:
    Larry M
    I looked up some things here. This is what her mother said about her. The second half shows what her "disability" does to cause her to lock on to a subject.
    The media IS using her because of her high functioning autism to lock on to a subject.
    They have her on stage to take advantage of her autism and to lock in on the climate change debate.
    You may not like it but she is being used.
    Her autism focus on this subject has people all over rallying around her.
    She is just being used as a tool.
    Very good explanation.
    But let me ask you this.
    Would you agree that she is being used?
    She has high functioning autism which causes her to lock onto a subject. She has picked climate change as her subject. The media and the people on stage probably are thinking, hey we have a gold mine here. So they put her on stage and turn her lose. A 16 year old who can't help herself with her anger.
    It's not her fault it's just the way that she's wired.
    I'm not saying that she's right or wrong.
    Just saying that they are using her high functioning autism to their advantage.

Screenshot_2019-09-24-15-49-10-1.png

Screenshot_2019-09-24-15-52-35-1.png

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  19. ScubaLee03

ScubaLee03 Real Estate Broker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,155
    You know how you have a fondness for certain routines and procedures?

Most of the general populace have that type of fondness towards products made from fossil fuels. So it’s extremely hard for one to stop over night. Myself included.

20. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,348
    Well first off solar requires the destuction of CO2 consuming vegetation and windmills often require more destuction of CO2 consuming plant life. I am all for nuclear but the problem is your ilk in academia will gight nuclear tooth and nail.