Climate crisis??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by old_rookie, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C-takagi

C-takagi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    first of all, functioning labels are ableist and generally rejected by the autistic community. they refer only to how well one of us can pass as allistic or "normal".

second of all, she's not being used any more than my autism was being used while i was employed at an aquarium to educate people on the animals. she's sixteen, and this is something she's passionate about, and knowledgeable about. she knows what she's saying, she knows who she's talking to. to imply that she is somehow unaware of the situation and is being "used" is infantilizing and incredibly disrespectful.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. C-takagi

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    im also all for nuclear, and I try to spread support for it. solar you put in the desert, where very little lives anyway, and you get more sunlight

3. C-takagi

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    the issue here isnt plastics, or personal vehicles. its the fossil fuels burned in power plants and in manufacturing processes. that what the real problem is. that is what no one understands. your life won't change that much. you'll still have electricity, you'll still have stuff. itll just be slightly more expensive, and itll be made differently

4. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,881
    Except they are not. They are taking farm land and cutting down trees for solar and wind. One wind plant they found cut down so many trees that they actually became a net negative as in the plant was producing so little energy it couldn't offset the amount of CO2 the trees were scrubbing. I am not opposed to renewable energy and when it becomes cost comparative if not cheaper the market will move that way. Hiwever to force us toward unreliable and expensive energy is irresponsible.

#224 Medicated fisherman, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  5. C-takagi

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    ok im still not done, this is still bugging the hell out of me.

the idea that a sixteen year old is who is passionate, knowledgeable, driven and well spoken is somehow being "Used" because she doesn't like eye contact and she likes routines and she has a specific interest is so incredibly wrong and just
    its frustrating, to me personally, because this happens all over to autistic people. when we hide the diagnosis, we're lauded for being intelligent, driven, passionate, ect, but as soon as you say "hey i'm on the spectrum" it becomes all about your "struggles" and your "mental illness" and immediately everyone forgets what you've accomplished and focuses on how a DR says you're different and its so INCREDIBLY frustrating because no one takes you seriously after that

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. C-takagi

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    offshore works; put solar in the mojave, too. the current practice isn't the best, true, but it won't improve if you fight attempts to try

7. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,881
    The thing is if you want to spend more for an enviormentally minded lifestyle then do it. Don't force the rest of us. By the way what are you using to communicate in here? Is it made of plastic? Was it manufactued over seas. If so you might want to look in the mirror and ask yourself if the lifestyle you want to be enforced from a barrel of a gun is tge same one you want to live. Once we go down ypur rabbit hole tgere is no coming back. So ask youself if you really want no more internet, no more Iphone, no more plastics or reliable energy because right know you are advocating a lifestyle that when implemented will change the way you communicate and live your life.

8. C-takagi

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    I already said, plastics arent the issue, neither is overseas manufacturing. the issue is primarily with power generation and manufacturing methods. neither of those affects the presence of these products, only the cost.

9. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,881
    Yes it does. Phones use silver and gold both require enviromentally intrusive mining methods. Does your phone not run on electricity? What about the poor they won't beable to afford a $3,000 cell phone in your utopia. Again you beifit from the US while criticizing our methods. You came from another country, why? If we are so dirty and evil why are you here again?

10. C-takagi

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    i was born here dumba** i lived overseas because my dad is military and we moved every 3 years.
    I criticize the methods because nothing is above critique and improvements. a basic smartphone costs less than $500. why is it that you are unable to accept the idea that we as a country can improve?

11. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,108
    The up front problem is storage of the spent rods; Yucca Mountain, Onofre, Fukushima, etc

12. ScubaLee03

ScubaLee03 Real Estate Broker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,362
    Yes, that right there is a very sensitive subject.

Forcing people to live a more expensive lifestyle won’t help with understanding of the problem.

I’m all for cradle to cradle manufacturing or closed loop manufacturing but I don’t think the technology is there yet in terms of efficiency leading to lowered consumer cost.

It’s gotta be a win win for more people to jump on board, to see that significant change that you want.

13. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,584
    Name:
    Larry M
    I didn't say that she unaware of the situation and I didn't say that she wasn't knowledgeable of the subject. I'm not treating her as a child if you say that I am then you are being incredibly disrespectful towards me.
    All I said is that they took advantage of a 16 year old to get their message across.
    People with high-level autism can be incredibly intelligent, she seems to fit that bill. I'm not being society prejudice against people with autism so don't even go there with me.
    Oh, I have excessive compulsive disorder would you like me to tell you how well I function with this problem?
    We can swap stories on how well we both function in life.

14. C-takagi

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    refine them into more fuel, coat them in glass and drop them in deep sea for disposal of unusable waste.
    the tiny amount of radiation that escapes from from the glass will not be visible against the background radiation of the seafloor. the glass will over hundreds of thousands of years degrade into silica sand, same as on the beach.

15. C-takagi

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    im not saying youre treating her as a child intentionally, but the idea that she's somehow being taken advantage of, as opposed to being a willing and equal participant in the project is not a good one to have

16. C-takagi

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    this is true, but there is still the issue of polarized anger. some people will intentionally reject enviromentally friendly options purely out of spite, to "own the libs" . this is why we still need people to understand that this is a problem

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,584
    Name:
    Larry M
    Here I go again with the Sunday UT. LOL
    There was an article about San Onofre Nuclear plant and how the storage containers had scratches on them and how that could cause a problem down the road.
    Storing nuclear waste isn't a problem until it becomes one.

18. C-takagi

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    like I said, coat them in glass and drop them in the deep ocean (beyond continental shelf)
    the ocean is enourmous, and if you just add 4 inches of glass and then drop them, there's no issue

19. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,584
    Name:
    Larry M
    Didn't say that she wasn't a willing participant. She was there to give a passionate heart felt speech to rally the youth troops.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree, good talk. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,584
    Name:
    Larry M
    Until an earthquake center hits where they store them.
    Aren't we not suppose to use the ocean as a dumping ground?
    I'll leave it at that. I don't want this to go on forever. LOL