Coast Guard stopping people in MB

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Chknlyps2, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Chknlyps2

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +899
    Name:
    Robbie
    Girlfriend and I went to San Diego for a couple days to get away and watch the fireworks at the big bay, yesterday (the 5th) on the way home we stopped at Mission Bay for a couple minutes, it was around 1:15pm. We stopped at the lot that is between Dana and the West Mission bridge and there was a orange and black Coast Guard boat sitting by the bridge pilings. Not a minute goes by and a small center console passes under the bridge on the way to Dana and Coast Guard stopped him... within casting distance of where we were standing, 4 officers on the CG boat, one with a clipboard of some sorts that started writing before they even stopped. I heard an officer say "You know, it is illegal to have 4 lines in the water". The guy on the boat said "I am not fishing right now" (he did have 4 poles standing upright behind his leaning post but no lines out). They checked out all his gear and let him go. As soon as they let go of his boat they yelled at the next guy going by to stop (they had drifted about 100 feet away toward Dana and I could not hear the conversation) Same thing though, clip board was out, officer was writing and the other officer was making the guy pull life vests out of his compartments. This guy got a piece of paper handed to him at the end of the encounter.

This happened 3 more times, so 5 different people got stopped in the 15 or 20 minutes we were standing there. 4 of the 5 people we saw stopped got a piece of paper handed to them, citations I imagine. It seemed like the CG did not care about other boats coming in while they were questioning a person but as soon as they were done they hunted the next guy down in a manor of seconds. They did not bat an eye at boats leaving the bay or pleasure boats, just fishing boats coming in. Heck, even 2 jet skies went within 100 feet of them speeding throwing a huge wake and they didn't care.

I have heard of them being over zealous before but this was like a drunk driving checkpoint where CHP was stopping every person. It has been a little more than a year since I have had my boat in MB and I was wondering if this has been happening often or if it is just the holiday weekend and they think everyone is going to the islands without the proper paperwork? 20190705_131516.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,531
    Ive longlined 4 swimbaits at the same time before. Is there diferent rules at MB than Shelter island.

3. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,959
    I wasn’t there or privy to what was said. However, they are doing their jobs whether we think it right or wrong or overzealous. They can board any boat, for any reason or not, anytime. They have powers normal law enforcement doesn’t.

That said, 90% or more boats in MB are “speeding,” going over 5 mph in the “5 mph zone.” So that’s an instant bust right there.

Since it is a holiday weekend. This kind of attention should be expected. Holiday weekends, in the summer have exceptionally higher amounts of boat traffic. Like you said, like a DUI checkpoint. Since there is a high probability of “holiday boaters (use boats once or twice a year),” there is a high probability that these boaters do not have the required Coast Guard Mandated Safety Items.....No offense, but these boaters have a higher likelihood to not know the regulations or to “think it ok” to not have the necessary equipment because “we're just gonna be on the bay.”

With the current state of our “immigration laws” and our “fight against drugs,” this would be an opportune time to let their presence be known to enforce said agenda. Also, with such a large number of boats, it would seem like a good time to conduct training......

My 2 cents. I would welcome such an “inspection” personally to see if I really know my “shiatt” and would gladly fix anything they found out of compliance if they could (I find it a good challenge personally).

Thanks for letting us know. Another reason I’m glad we didn’t go Fishing yet this weekend.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  4. Chknlyps2

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +899
    Name:
    Robbie
    I think the only line limits for salt water are piers and some groundfish species, but my thought was that is a DFG issue, not a CG issue... I thought it was odd that I heard the CG ask about 4 lines, and they were clearly not in the water.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,959
    Weird. Perhaps overstepping their knowledge base????

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,712
    Reminds me of the south shores cops handing multiple parking tix in minutes, immediately hunting down the next guy who enters the parking lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. xman

xman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Do you know what the tickets were for?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,712
    Lol, parking tix. They were parked in trailer parking spots with no trailers. My point was they were going after people one by one, anyone who came into the parking lot they went straight for them because they knew there were no more regular parking spots. Was a sting type deal.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. inthedeep2

inthedeep2 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +305
    saw coast guard this morning at south shores boat ramp.
    there doing there job making sure you have all required gear.

10. Graydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +795
    Boat:
    Freedom Boat Club
    so I was stopped once by CG in Mission Bay, process is similar to what you describe but the paper you see them giving out is basically saying they have been checked and were OK and it is good for a certain time period and so if you get stopped again within that time period you can show them the slip. Obviously some could be tickets too but in my experience the slip I got was a good thing.

Also they were very friendly and somehow we got talking about speed limit in mission bay and they didn't seem to know or care and said that was the responsibility of the lifeguard/police boats. Though if you went ripping by them maybe they would care.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • List
  11. Chknlyps2

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +899
    Name:
    Robbie
    Oh wow, good to know.... better than I thought! I just found it odd that they were only curious about fishing boats coming in and seemed oblivious to all other craft.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,959
    It just seemed that way on the outside. I’m glad we know the straight dope.

I wanna be checked and get a sticker saying I’m in Compliance with their inspection. I’m not sure they do that anymore but if so.....

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,263
    Name:
    Larry M
    If my old mind remembers right didn’t they have a Coast Guard auxiliary that would check out your boat and give you a sticker if it passed. You placed it on your windshield and you were good to go for a period of time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,959
    That’s what I’m talking about....

15. Graydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +795
    Boat:
    Freedom Boat Club
    Yeah I don't know why that would be unless it was a focus that day or something. When I got checked I was driving a pontoon and I literally had just turned out of dana landing and got stopped like 30 seconds later and I was like oh great what did I do? but it was all good.

16. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +495
    Say "deja de moverte y quedate quieto cabron" while you maliciously stomp on deck. And make sure you apply extra sunscreen.

17. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,959
    Translation? Google was no help. LOL

18. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,959
    Hahahaha! Werfless translated for me!

19. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,342
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    I don’t understand the comment about four lines in the water. Is it against the law to troll inside the bay?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Oldflyer

Oldflyer Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Doing their job. Wish the shore police would be as diligent about people running red lights and putting everyone at risk.