Colo river advice

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by MaceEraser, Jul 27, 2021.

1. MaceEraser

MaceEraser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +154
    Name:
    Mike Maysey
    I'm going to the Colorado River near Needles this weekend and was thinking of taking some fishing gear. I like catching nearly anything so any and all suggestions will be much appreciated. I understand there are some species in the river I haven't ever caught yet, namely Striped Bass and walleye. Wouldn't mind a catfish or a trout either. I'm just not sure where to look or what to throw at 'em! Thank you in advance to anyone who helps me out.

#1 MaceEraser, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2021
  2. Bassnbeans

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,144
    Well this time of year, due to the heat I would say you mainly looking at your best bite from 9pm to maybe 8am. Smallmouth along edges and rocky or hardbotttom edges. Mostly hit baits with motion like swim tails, curl tails, spinners or small swim baits. Large mouth in pocket holes side channels. Use usual largemouth tactics. Same applies to panfish. Cats in deeper holes and in stiller waters after drops, locks, or dams, or sometimes I the lee of large obstructions like rocks. They will take anything stinky but fresh cut bluegill or carp or shrimp can be great.

tips from Werfless ?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +59,377
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Bluegill, carp or shrimp chunks, as fresh as you can get.. worms are a good call too. Personally, I would focus on the pre dawn and post dusk bites, find somewhere moving water enters slow or slack water and work that. Just a number six or four hook with a chunk of bait at the end, cast out, open the bail on the spinning rod, and watch the line. Or work some baits they can feel anywhere you see air or foam.. squarebills, spinnerbait, inline spinner, etc. If you're on the AZ side of the border, get your AZ licence. I prefer canals to the main river for what I do

4. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,502
    I was just at the river a few weeks back south of you at Martinez. The am LMB bite was lights out in the fist few hours of the day. Senkos tossed near the tullies then worked parallel worked great.. Twitch, Twitch pause is the ticket. Have fun!

5. MaceEraser

Ratings:
    +154
    Name:
    Mike Maysey
    Werf, I found this on the DFW website. Looks like things may have changed.

Sport Fishing Licenses and Report Cards

"Colorado River Validation n/a Discontinued - Anglers who possess either a valid California sport fishing license or a valid Arizona sport fishing license can fish from either shore of the portion of the Colorado River that makes up the California-Arizona boundary."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. MaceEraser

Ratings:
    +154
    Name:
    Mike Maysey
    Thank you guys who kicked me some info. I'm probably gonna try to catch some LMG and catfish. I'll post pictures of any catches!

7. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +59,377
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Yes... But... You take a couple steps too far east, or fish the wrong side of a gate, they can, and will, ticket you. They are very serious about this. A week fishing license is very reasonable on the other side, and perfect insurance you can walk over and fish a juicy cut without risk

8. doubletap

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    its different now werfless ca license
    good on all colorado water except az canals
    i don't know about needles but in blythe
    you have to be carefull of indian land north of blythe

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +59,377
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Once I was standing on this one gate, I think along Mittry. Warden rolled up and we were talking about it. I turned to cast on the other side, and he told me if I did, he would write me up. So I asked him about exactly where the line was. I was standing on it apparently. Nice dude, just a stickler for the rules (his job, after all). AZ licence is cheap enough, or I would stay on the CA side, personally. Just saying.

10. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,948
    Sounds like the gila canal

11. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,502
    It used to be you had to have both depending on where you were on the River but finally they got more realistic. I’m betting the judges got tired of figuring it all out in court. E3056D5B-8D75-4159-918D-81E360A6F819.png

12. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,948
    I fished the gila all night long and caught good channel cats . I found out later I was in the wrong , got lucky. The az non resident license is cheaper than our resident license. The gila has some good small
    Mouth in some areas . It splits up by hidden shores were you can be just a couple feet away from breaking the law.

13. MaceEraser

Ratings:
    +154
    Name:
    Mike Maysey
    Successful fishing at the river. It wasn't a fishing trip but I was able to squeeze in some fishing on Saturday in the morning when I found 3 small mouth biters. Only got photos of #2 and #3. The water was so clear I was able to actually see the second one eat the lure almost right in front of me at the end of the cast. Took a big break during the day to take care of stuff and then back out after dark with a square bill where I was able to find my first striped bass ever!! I had no idea I could hook something like that where I was fishing, so naturally I was undergunned with a pretty lightweight set up with 12 pound mono. I think the stretch must have helped because I was able to land this 5 pound 24" Striped Bass, after a little bit of back and forth fight. He must have had 3 runs where he peeled line until I decided to try horse him a bit and turn him. I thought I snagged a carp of something. What a fun fish to catch. I understand why people target them in this place.

Thanks again for the help you guys!

coloriver setup.jpg

coloriver smallmouth.jpeg

coloriver smallmouth2.jpg

coloriver striper.jpg

14. Bassnbeans

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,144
    Nice trip and very nice striper! Looks like you took him home for dinner. Good choice. They are great in the pan.
    Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +59,377
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Nice bass... Plenty of both of those out at the river and both are plenty tasty. Glad you found a few

16. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,948
    Solid striper , thats why the rivers awesome never know when you get a bonus catch.

17. MaceEraser

Ratings:
    +154
    Name:
    Mike Maysey
    I cleaned it and my wife cooked it! Very tasty fish. The small mouth are still swimming.

18. MaceEraser

Ratings:
    +154
    Name:
    Mike Maysey
    I found this lure at my friends house and decided to use it. The reason I did, was because earlier that morning while fishing my usual Texas rig with a swimbait, I had a few schools of rainbow fry follow it up. I figured every predator in the river eats the baby trout. Match the Hatch right? I ended up catching those two smallies in the photos with it. In fact you can see it in the mouth of one of 'em. Anyone know any info on this? It has no logos at all on it or numbers. It's kind of got a soft body over a hard plastic part that has a rattle in it. The tail is totally flexible like a traditional soft swimbait, lightly segmented and pliable but the material seems super tough. It's 4"long. Has a decent swim when slow rolled, but can also be twitch like a jerk bait which is how I was getting strikes. Reel, pause, twitch, twitch, reel, pause, twitch...

lure3.jpg

lure4.jpg

#18 MaceEraser, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021