Colt Firearns a joke?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Medicated fisherman, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,123
    Is colt serious. Discontinuing civilian firearm manufacturing because they think there are enough rifles in the civilian population but will continue to produce weapons for the government. Wow this is scary. Glad I never purchased a colt.

2. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,066
    This is specific to AR-15s right ?

3. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,090
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    To Bad , They probably want to be ahead of the curve for possibility of legislation that will hold manufacturers responsible for improper use . Probably not a significant portion of their business as well . Did it say anything about the hand guns as well ? I do believe the AR platform in many variant models is the only rifle they produce . Its a shame . WR

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,066
    News Story:
    https://apnews.com/fbdf5e5f6d654332bbedfaffe3663154

https://www.colt.com/news/2630
    Company Response to Questions about Colt Participation in Consumer Markets

WEST HARTFORD, Conn. (September 19th, 2019) – There have been numerous articles recently published about Colt’s participation in the commercial rifle market. Some of these articles have incorrectly stated or implied that Colt is not committed to the consumer market. We want to assure you that Colt is committed to the Second Amendment, highly values its customers and continues to manufacture the world’s finest quality firearms for the consumer market.

The fact of the matter is that over the last few years, the market for modern sporting rifles has experienced significant excess manufacturing capacity. Given this level of manufacturing capacity, we believe there is adequate supply for modern sporting rifles for the foreseeable future.

On the other hand, our warfighters and law enforcement personnel continue to demand Colt rifles and we are fortunate enough to have been awarded significant military and law enforcement contracts. Currently, these high-volume contracts are absorbing all of Colt’s manufacturing capacity for rifles. Colt’s commitment to the consumer markets, however, is unwavering. We continue to expand our network of dealers across the country and to supply them with expanding lines of the finest quality 1911s and revolvers.

At the end of the day, we believe it is good sense to follow consumer demand and to adjust as market dynamics change. Colt has been a stout supporter of the Second Amendment for over 180 years, remains so, and will continue to provide its customers with the finest quality firearms in the world.

Very respectfully,

Dennis Veilleux, President and Chief Executive Officer

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,535
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    No big deal. There’s hundreds of other manufactures out there making AR-15 style rifles including Savage, Remington, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armory, Bushmaster and Mossberg.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +564
    ....and FN took the big military contract for M4s and other variants of the future a few years ago.

Strange because they are slowly bringing back their snake line of revolvers.

#6 5spot, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,066
    I think they’re trying to shield themselves from potential liability given the recent trends.

They just came out of bankruptcy...

8. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,477
    It's a business decision and frankly I don't blame them. There are enough AR's and M-4 style rifles on the civilian market, some good and some not so good, for them to have to compete and then when the law suites come if it says COLT on it or even COLT design guess who will take the full blame. As also said there are many other manufacturers in the government-military arena making excellent products so who needs the grief, Considering they took over from Armalite in the early '60's I say they have had a good run. Besides I feel that the basic AR design is nearing the end of its useful life cycle. Other than the classic 1911 (again of which there are many clones) I would like them to concentrate on their line of excellent revolvers and then maybe come up with a new auto design. Plus maybe a new sporting rifle (not Sako knockoffs and an AR is not a hunting weapon in my opinion) in a classic design would be welcome. Hopefully the rampant Colt will continue to ride on.

9. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,402
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Seems to be a concession to the left, which is a mistake, IMO. Reminds me of Sea World folding to the demands of PETA on Whale shows. They thought PETA would be satisfied. WRONG! The Left is never satisfied with partial victory.