Coot and duck hunting in Laguna Mountain recreational area?

Discussion in 'Hunting & Firearms' started by Swgityswag, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Swgityswag

Swgityswag Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,017
    Hi Folks. Been wanting to hunt laguna mountain recreational area but after reading the very extensive rules and regulations that we have I am almost too paranoid to go out. I have called DFG and the descanso district of cleveland national forest for everyday for three days straight with no response. I would really appreicate any advice and information that I could get on the laguna mountain recreational area. I was original hoping to hunt the big laguna lake area for some duck and coots but then I noticed that no hunting is allowed within 150 yards of trails and trails basically covers the entire area. So is it ok to stand in position 1 as shown in the figure below and fire only towards the lake? If not would it be ok to hunt position 2,3? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Hunting laguna mountain recreation area sure sounds great but it does almost look like there is hardly any hunting ground...

IMG_8592.jpg

2. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,177
    The term "lake" sort of glorifies what these areas are. Too many popular designated hiking trails around them to be able to allow hunting. Also when the term "recreational activity" is used, it usually means hiking, camping, etc. I looked at the USFS site and it lists the activities as hiking and day hiking.

3. FishBait

FishBait Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +802
    Drive out to the IV and shoot the flyers

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +54,022
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    IV....

5. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,801
    If you wanna shoot coots. Pretty water and Mittry are frigging loaded, and they are dumb.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,402
  7. Swgityswag

Ratings:
    +1,017
    I don't think I can actually travel to IV for personal reasons....

8. Swgityswag

Ratings:
    +1,017
    Thanks for the response, r u talking about the pretty water lake that's 20 hours away in Oklahoma lol? Mittry lake is next to IV that I also can't get to... Thank u for your response tho

9. Swgityswag

Ratings:
    +1,017
    Yep I got a compound bow with heavily fletched flu flu arrows that hardly goes 40 yards. I was wondering if there are exceptions to hunting near trails in the archery only areas since places like hollenbeck valley and San Felipe wildlife area where firearms are allowed and hikers are present don't have restrictions on hunting near trails(I think), in comparison arrows should be much much safer

10. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,402
    I have met a bowhunter in the area when I have been mountain biking but I was on a fairly remote trail and he was in transit. Call the ranger station on Monday to find out.

11. Swgityswag

Ratings:
    +1,017
    Thanks for your response, been calling and emailing the ranger station quite a few times lol. Hopefully the 15th time is the charm

12. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,394
    No Hunting within 150 yards of campgrounds, trails, fire stations, any national forest building, across any body of water, off-highway vehicle areas, and private property within the boundary of the Forest (unless the hunter has the permission of the property owner). Rifle, firearm, or crossbow hunting is not allowed at any time within the Laguna Mountain Recreation Area (only archery hunting during season).

From dmorgan's first link. No crossbow hunting. And no hunting across any body of water...even with a longbow. I can't see any loopholes....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,402
    Slingshot might be OK. Blowgun, spear? Rocket net? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fci8UTWfDa4 I have the feeling there will be some tree huggers in the area who won't approve of unorthodox (or orthodox for that matter) hunting methods though.

14. Swgityswag

Ratings:
    +1,017
    been calling them all day with no answer, i will let u guys know what the rangers end up saying

15. sherpa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,553
    No fire arms in the rec area

16. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,803
    There are a few places in the CNF that you can get on waterfowl. As far as the Laguna rec area, it used to be ok for turkey and there are some nice deer in the area. However it is probably the last place I would hunt. I know people who have shot turkey just outside the rec area boundaries. If you want to kill something and you are stuck in the lagunas, try quail. There are a few around that area.

17. Swgityswag

Ratings:
    +1,017
    I demand the exact longitude and latitude of the places to hunt waterfowl RIGHT NOW

Lol jk jk thanks man I appreciate ur response!