Coronado Cays??

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Adamt5150, May 31, 2016.

1. Adamt5150

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,076
    We are thinking of trying a new place for us. I've read old posts about the cays but has anyone fished there recently. Just wondering if it's legal to still fish there. We will be pounding the shore as usual. Thanks in advance.

Adam

2. socal_spotties

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +195
    Was there a few days ago on my buddies boat, are you fishing it from a boat or shore?

3. socal_spotties

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +195
    Sorry still half asleep didn't see the shore pounding part. I'm not 100% sure. I saw a guy fishing the shore so I'm sure it's legal as long as your not on anyone's dock

4. Adamt5150

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,076
    Thanks for the info

5. NCTOADSLAYERZ

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +923
    You may get hasseled a little bit, but it's worth it! Big fish back there

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +47,540
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Used to be really good in there, pretty sure it still is. . Lol

7. natural_one

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,650
    Hard to find good shore spots.

8. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,755
    Very fun fishery back there, especially early 2ks

9. Charles

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +529
    We usually fish Grand Caribe and the 2 coves near it, but we have never ventured near the inner part. I know someone who used to live in their and know of one that still does. Not willing to risk a debate.

10. Charles

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +529
    I talked with HOA dock master Dan Bick and he says access is, "private but not exclusive"

The Port owns a good portion as well as the State and the City owns the streets. The Cays have been on a lease from the Port since 1968.

11. dahoang55

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +210
    Sorry to jump this thread but since we're on the subject..I recently got yelled at for pitching the pilings at the boat docks at Americas Cup in my float tube. Guy said I was being disrespectful of people's privacy. Hespoke of theft and property damage and that I was not allowed to be there. All I said was sorry but I don't see any signs. I was cool up until he turned his back and muttered "be careful cuz you might just get wet". Then I lost my poo and asked if he was threatening me. He said don't try me..I will go to the office! Lol anyone know the law in terms of private docks..does it apply to the surrounding water as well or just the docks themselves?

12. natural_one

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,650
    I hope I'm not corrected, but as far as I know you have every right to be on any of that water especially if accessed/launched via public property. I'm really not sure how technical a law enforcement officer or a judge would get with the pilings and if your jig touched them, etc.

A security guard attempted to run me off some property in front a hotel/restaurant on Sunday. It was about 5:15am and very low tide. I honestly had come in by crossing public property and once I hit water I stayed below the high water line to access said shoreline in front of the hotel. I took a deep breath as he said this is private property and I needed to leave, to which I extremely politely explained that I knew my rights and the law and that unfortunately I would be staying (vina were ripping the surface... I wasn't about to leave).
    After a couple back and forths, he ended with "good luck fishing, hope you do well" and never returned. I'm still not sure if he knows the law and just tries to pull that on everyone or if he truly is uneducated.

I'm guessing the guy you ran into has had trouble with lures hitting a boat. A marine gel coat chip repair is not cheap.

13. Charles

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +529
    It depends on the law or intent in the area. Coronado is just one of those places that has up to 3 jurisdictions and was meant to be "private, but not exclusive."

14. Charles

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +529
    T
    I want you fishing by my boat as much as I want someone's kid playing by my car. Yes, the kid has every right to play in the street, the sidewalk and anywhere else. You know how we are about our cars. Not a perfect illustration, but you never know how many people they see in a day or a week.

15. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +746
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.const/.article_10
    CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
    ARTICLE 10 WATER
    SEC. 4. No individual, partnership, or corporation, claiming or possessing the frontage or tidal lands of a harbor, bay, inlet, estuary, or other navigable water in this State, shall be permitted to exclude the right of way to such water whenever it is required for any public purpose, nor to destroy or obstruct the free navigation of such water; and the Legislature shall enact such laws as will give the most liberal construction to this provision, so that access to the navigable waters of this State shall be always attainable for the people thereof.

16. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +746
    And if that is not enough:
    CA Codes (hnc:130-135)
    HARBORS AND NAVIGATION CODE
    SECTION 131
    131. Every person who unlawfully obstructs the navigation of any navigable waters, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

17. dahoang55

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +210
    Great find! Thanks

18. natural_one

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,650

The "get off my lawn" moment of the day.
    I get it, but this thread is now discussing legality, not someone's unenforceable desires.

19. Mr. NiceGuy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +609
    Grand Caribe is a public park and beach. No problem at all.

As far as the rest of that development goes, if it's not posted "no fishing" then you can fish there, the same as everywhere else.

20. Charles

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +529
    Fishing the causeway yesterday and took my business to one of the corners and had a bonefish come up from the depths chasing my grub. Only two problems. Two big jellyfish in the corner and security stopping and saying I was welcome to fish, but not by the docks. Actually was fishing along the wall, with no boat in sight and not really willing to discuss that fine detail, so I moved on.

Then I talked with a resident walking his dog and mentioned the security guy, he said he going to tell his son about it since his son fishes the docks. So we figured it may be ok for residents? Or at least your own dock?