Coronado Islands on the Mission Belle - 11/28/17

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by oohkillem, Nov 29, 2017.

1. oohkillem

oohkillem Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Name:
    Mario
    I don't typically post reports but I haven't seen a Coronado Islands report as of late so figured this might help others.

Fished on the Mission Belle yesterday (11/28) for a 3/4 day Islands trip with 12 anglers on board.

Short Version: Endless bonitos, some rockfish, a few calico bass. Very good fishing to be had at the Islands.

Long Version:
    The day didn't start off too well as I got to the landing about 30 mins to departure time and realized that I didn't have my passport. Luckily, I don't live too far away and the boat decided to wait. Shout out to Captain Tony for making that call, definitely didn't have to do that.

With a minor delay, we were on our way and picked up some prime 3-5" sardines at the barge. While the crew was loading up, I was messing around throwing a Coltsniper jerkbait and got bit, the fish immediately swam down and got me into the weeds pretty good. I thought it would be another jig lost but I was able to wrestle the fish out of there and came up a nice calico.

Made our way to Islands in semi-rough seas. We started at Pukey Point and started looking around North Island for nada. Made our way towards South Island and one of the trollers went off so we started chumming. Went up to the bow and started throwing a Megabait and got bumped the first three cast but no connection.. Finally connected and landed and nice size bonito. It was wide open for at least 45 minutes on good size bonitos. They ate anything and everything and I caught all of my fish on surface irons, megabaits, and a couple on a jerkbait. Kept 4 bonitos and threw back the rest/shook them off the jig once they got close to the boat.

The captain wanted to move on from the bonitos to look for bigger gamefish like yellowtail and the bluefin tuna that seem to stick around late this season. We got to a spot the captain said some bluefins have been hanging around and started chumming. Saw several big boils on the bait but no hookups on yellowtail nor bft. Picked off some more bonitos and a few calicos.

We then headed south of the Islands to fish a few spots for rockfish. Every drop produced some type of rockfish and/or whitefish. I was using braid + short 20 lb fluoro leader with a megabait tipped with squid. This setup seemed to get bit pretty well and the braid + short leader was perfect for the sensitivity. Released all my fish except 1 good size rockfish.

We then headed back towards the Islands to take one more look at the spot where the BFT has been spotted but nada. The Captain made the dreaded but expected announcement that we were out of fishing time and had to head back. Overall, a great day of fishing and I can't say enough good things about the Mission Belle. Fishy boat, fishy captain and great crew!

20171128_064346.jpg

20171128_093910.jpg

20171128_100821.jpg

20171128_103334.jpg Bonies eating the paint off the iron

20171128_142329.jpg
    20171128_162334.jpg

20171128_075647.jpg

#1 oohkillem, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  2. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,729
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Awesome! Glad you got on em this late in the season. How did the 1.5 day go for you?

3. oohkillem

Ratings:
    +70
    Name:
    Mario
    Thanks! Unfortunately, I didn't get a single bite on that trip. Finicky bluefin being finicky... At least that's what I tell myself lol. Can't complain too much though considering it is almost December and we are tuna fishing! Congrats on yours man, props for getting it on light line too :emoji_ok_hand:

4. TheCuban1040

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +406
    Name:
    Lu
    Boat:
    Freedom Boat Club
    Thanks for the report, psyched to see the pelagics are still in town!

5. oohkillem

Ratings:
    +70
    Name:
    Mario
    No problem! Hopefully they stick around longer

6. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,729
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Strange how these tuna are. Awesome bite leading up to the trip, every boat limits the next day, but the day we go the fish decide to play hooky. I went up to the wheel house every once in a while to check out the meter and we weren't seeing anything. 14 bluefin for us. I legitimately thought I was going to get skunked.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,885
    Eds jigs, they even catch rope...lol

8. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,849
    Name:
    Kyle
    Thank you! Nice report!

#8 kyle12345, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. oohkillem

Ratings:
    +70
    Name:
    Mario
    There was a crazy amount of boat traffic at the 60 that day so that could've been why they didn't bite well but you just never know with these BFT. Let's hope that they come back next season, or better yet never leave!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List