Coronado Islands

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by Valco14, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Valco14

Valco14 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +198
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +37,923
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,200
    Hilarious!

These guys make me remember the awkwardness and joy of catching my first Yellowtail.

Observations:

Did they measure the Barracuda? 28”. Looks close, I’d say no based upon the head. Doesn’t look like they bled it either! But iced so maybe 50% ok.

Hitting Yellowtail 10 times to dispatch it? What was that? A “Dead Blow Hammer?”

Killing Yellowtail before bleeding them? Helps to drain blood better to cut gills while the heart is still pumping.....

Bleeding them in a net overboard....Seal Attack! Nuff said.....My recommendation is to bleed in a Home Depot Bucket. It would have worked on that little boat.

Trolling with a medium spinner.....Gutsiest move I ever seen.....You could hear the seals in the background......They were extremely lucky to boat that first one based upon the lack of boat traffic, I did see a small sportie in the background, perhaps they were chumming and distracted seals....

Gaffing——Needs work.....Russian judge gives 5 points out of 10 for pure joy and artistic impression.

Netting—-Same. Needs work. The Cuban judge gave 5.1 points. That net snag on the Garmin on film was classic!

Seamanship- Two thumbs up! Dang those two boys were brave! Pretty small boat with an outboard with a tiller handle....Balls of Steele! Bonus points for gutsy but more bonus points for them because they both had inflatable life jackets on...

Knife Craft - Looked sketch and dangerous. Was that boat a RIB? If so, nice way to cut boat Or oneself.

And Preparation with Necessary Mexican Documents:

Kudos to both of them for doing it right. They both had:
    Mexican Fishing License
    NFMM - Manifest
    Passports
    Biosphere Bands

The Mexican Navy guys didn’t ask for their “TIP.” So we don’t know if those two had them. I have a TIP (Temporary Importation Permit). There is some discussion about this. But a 10 year Permit at $9 a year......Why risk it?

And- According to first hand reports on BD, the Mexican Navy has indeed asked for it.....So, beware....If they ask for it and you don’t have it....DOH- don’t say I didn’t warn you..

My take on this inspection. The Mexican Officials were actually professional and patient. Personable even. Those two Fishermen could have helped their inspection by having all documents and passports together instead of fumbling in their pockets. You could see one dude in the background, hand on machine gun....Don’t want their threat level tested by fumbling and digging around. They may and could have an itchy trigger finger.

I think the two dudes were also calm, non offensive or non-threatening. They obviously were surprised yet kept their cool, but more importantly had nothing to hide and had all their documents in order (TIP, we may never know)....

I have been checked/stopped twice so far. This year, when they came along side of me, I presented my pouch with all documents. But I also pointed to my “TIP Sticker” on my windshield......They didn’t even ask to see any documents. They saw the sticker, and my preparedness and perhaps confidence that I had my docs in order and went on their way....

The other time I was a passenger, before Biosphere Bands....The Documents we’re not in one place or in any semblance of organization and the dudes seems peeved. One passenger forgot their passport and after presenting their California Drivers License and many apologies, after a 30 second uncomfortable moment of silence we were let go with a joking slap on the wrist and a warning about “next time.”

My last observation is: You must have a “Token Asian” on board for good luck! LOL

That one guy looked like my homie Paulito !

In closing, I laughed my azz off. It was an entertaining YouTube clip. I liked it a lot. For two guys that never been Yellowtail fishing before,they did great! I’d get heavier gear. But hey——Their success goes to show you, there’s more than one way to skin a cat (catch a yellow)!

The grilling and taste test and their observations of the taste was hilarious too! I was surprised because I didn’t see them bleed the Barracuda and they liked it.....Hmmm

Anyone know Paulito ? What do you think? A younger leas experienced version of him? Circa 10 years ago? Rokbury14 what did you think?

I’m out....

#3 geofish, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Valco14

Ratings:
    +198

5. Valco14

Ratings:
    +198
    Nice one Geo, very in depth report /analysis . Thank you :emoji_thumbsup:

Do you guys see small boats out there like this ?

That boat is a hard shell , not a rib. He has some other good videos catch and cook ect..

6. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,200
    I have on occasion. Open bow bay boats. 12’ Bayrunners with CC. Most of the small boats are Pangueros in Pangas......Man those guys are brave and fearless like the “Old Man and the Sea!” The things they do with those Pangas.....

098D3496-EB5B-41F3-9634-D59FC19A82AE.jpeg 67C5916F-8FA9-4525-823C-673138BBB3C4.jpeg

That was danger close!

7. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,200
    I wouldn’t recommend it on those small boats unless you know for sure it’ll be a flat/calm day!

8. NextMikeSays

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +681

These guys are from NorCal so I give them a pass. Catching YT without knowing what you are doing is pretty good.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,200
    They were coached well. Very impressive and fun watching their journey of discovery. I’m just glad their coaching included necessary documents or else it would have been a “life in a Mexican prison film.” Maybe not that extreme but still.

I’m sure they’ll be back!

10. Tommy Chang

Tommy Chang sicka than your average.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,196
    Boat:
    almost. back.
    i didnt see the video thru the link, but if its fisherman's life which i think it is, which is the channel. That guy is def a nor cal guy. does alot of shore, and random other ****. He definitely is a veteran fisherman but not a coronado islands kinda guy. lol u gave 5 on the gaff. the ****n gaff was like 3 outta 10. lol. but they must have rode on glass to get there.

geo, btw i got boarded on a cattle a week or two back. lol.
    yo whens the day. already?

11. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,200
    Dude, just waitin on the bite to get closer or the YT bite to go off at Islands or our Kelp Beds......

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. natural_one

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,618
    Great video. His stuff is always well done and informative. Yeah, gaff/net/hammertime/bleeding not the way most do it, but I appreciate the video and seeing what a Mexican stop looks like too!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. madmachado

madmachado Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Name:
    Matt
    I drive my Waverunner to the islands quite often. So getting there in a small boat should be no problem. That assuming you've checked the marine forecast and have plenty of safety equipment.

As for the Armed Mexican Navy, my experience with them has been quick and painless. Last week they "boarded" me and checked my documents. It was only about 2 minutes and before they left they busted out their cell phones and had me posing with my fish. Just have your docs up to date and have a friendly demeanor and there's no problem.

Fish On!

Yellowtail.jpg

14. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,167
    Lack of paperwork, and documents it's ok you'll get a free room to sleep in and free food

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List