Correctly releasing a bass...

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by willieino, Apr 28, 2013.

1. willieino

willieino Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Now i could be wrong but... My fishing friend throws the bass from the shoreline about 15' into the lake. He claims this is a proper release and that it does not harm the fish. I strongly disagree. His argument is that it prevents the fishing from receiving abrasions as it tries to swim away. He has a tremendous amount of fishing experience but i am having trouble believing him on this one. Can anyone clear this up?

2. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,318
    The safest release would be to lay the bass in the water and let it swim away. If the bass does not swim out of your hands quickly, swimming it in S like motions will help him gain balance and get water into its gills. Tossing a bass could cause injury as it could hit the bottom. If you are away from the shore and the fish was quickly Dehooked a head first release will work just fine but not a 15' toss.

3. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,487
    Haha! Yea, the ol 'hail marry' pass isn't the way to release ANY type of fish. Let alone our precious LMBs. Tools is right on. After I take out the hook, instead of holding then by the lip and releasing them I close the mouth and hold them like you would a trout. Then slide them upright into the water. Sometimes if you release them with their mouth being open for so long, it takes them longer to correct themselves. (At least in my experience). Rubbing on the rocks is far less damaging than some one tossing it 15'. Put yourself in that position. What you you rather have?

4. addicted2sp33d

addicted2sp33d Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ummm... yeah... there's no animal on the planet that enjoys a nose-dive into shallow water, or a belly flop.

5. willieino

willieino Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I'm sure you all know this person. If you see someone at Murray tossing a fish like he's playing horse shoes, well, you know what to say.

6. Chopjaw

Chopjaw Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Next time kick him in the back into the water and ask him how that feels.....