Corvina and Yellowfin Croaker

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by BDHolmer, Sep 26, 2016.

1. BDHolmer

BDHolmer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +20
    In my efforts to continue learning more about Saltwater fishing a couple of questions came to mind about two of my catches yesterday. Are either the Corvina or Yellowtail Croaker a species that one would seek out to eat ? If so, what are the legal size for keepers ? Is the 3" plastics the optimum baits for both species or did I just happen to run into a desperate fish ? Lastly, is the Yellowtail Croaker know as a fighter fish that likes to make ones drag sing. As always, thanks in advance for the info. You guys are a great source of information.

2. GutHooKeD

GutHooKeD The Cashmere Panda, AKA the Bamboo Boss...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,700
    Name:
    Keith
    Boat:
    14ft skiff
    I think the "science" is as follows: fish that feed on bottom dwelling invertebrates, like shrimp, clams etc, are more likely to have some sort of "pollutant" in their meat as a result of contaminates in the mud they live in. Croaker, Bay bass, sand bass would be feeding in this way.

Generally fish like Corvina, halibut, white seabass, pelagic fish, are feeding on bait fishies like anchovies, sardines, smelt, mackerel, etc. Bait fish are less likely to have residual contaminates, therefore so are the fish that feed on them.

That being said, I think you would be fine if you ate either fish in moderation. I think 1 serving a month is the recommended amount. You should check the regs for the size limits, I like steak

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. HaliHunter951

HaliHunter951 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +160
    Name:
    Joe
    No size limit on both.

Corvina is a good eating fish, but as others said try to let them go. I only keep them if the fight in destroys their face, they're very fragile fish.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. LilCobra

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +579
    Name:
    Dvilaysane
    Corvina are tasty fish. I keep them once in a long while. I do a lot of c n r. If I no I'm gonna eat it that day or the next then I'll keep one other than that it's going back to the water.

5. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,789
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    X2
    I've only kept one, and it was because when I tried to revive it, it started floating in circles so I pulled it out and cooked it with some halibut. Couldn't tell the difference between the two. While it was very good tasting, it's better to keep the population up since the fishery is coming from a small handful of vinas that came up from Mexico a decade or two ago when the old power plant was pumping warm water into the bay. They like it where it's warm, so expect to find them in shallower water pushing bait to the surface.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  6. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,478
    A couple of weeks ago I didn't have my gear with me and was wasting a 1/2 hour before picking up my wife and took a drive around Fiesta and I stop on the east side and w a bunch of bait fish, smelt I think but do you think that might be warmer water on that side I usually hear that they like docks but I think the water would be warmer on that east side?

7. HaliHunter951

HaliHunter951 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +160
    Name:
    Joe
    not sure if its relevant to ^^

But i've caught a couple corvina two different days, on a skiff drifting a dropper loop sardine. from bridge to bridge in front of dana landing. so were the other people on another skiff. lots of corvina right outside of dana landing.

8. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,789
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    They like structure near shore. The shallower it is, the warmer the water will be.cant really help you as far as mission bay goes though, I've spent all my fishing in the big bay.

9. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,380
    Good tasting yes, ‘vina are.

Shortfin corvina are native. In his book “Salt -Water Fly-Fishing Handbook” by Sam Nix (a San Diego resident) and published in 1972, he writes of catching corvina in the local bays. He fished MB in an early version of a “belly boat” , which we now call a float tube, in the 1960’s and on foot in the 1950’s and caught them then. I knew other people who caught them locally in the 1970’s. San Diego County is about the northern limit but the native range extended to Santa Barbara

#9 CraigSmith, Oct 4, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,146
    Name:
    Eric
    Both are pretty decent eaters from shore. I think corvina taste a little better, but yellowfin croaker are a lot more abundant so if targeting dinner I would target yellowfin croaker of the two. They will both bite plastics, but I've caught most my yellowfin croaker on shrimp, and hardbaits for the corvina.

11. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,158
    They both are good eating and no size limit. The corvina tastes a little better IMO. Corvina are fine to keep. There are plenty around and are such a fragile fish a large % of the ones released do not survive. Basically don't touch or remove them from the water if you want them to survive a release otherwise the odds are against their survival. For croaker you can catch them on artificial but bait works best. For corvina I like top water but have caught my fair share on jerkbaits and shallow running crankbaits. Good luck.