COVID-19 Global Tracker

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by VeeDubGuy02, Mar 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VeeDubGuy02

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,258
    Name:
    Tom
  2. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,981
    Still doesn't beat the nearly 70K cases of normal flu deaths that we see here in the US, but no one bats an eyelash at it anymore.

I dont get why the media went so out of control with this - fear of God stuff. No one gives two shytz about our regular, yearly influenza strains. But this one comes along and right off the bat, the media starts pointing fingers and making accusations and putting everyone gullible into panic mode. Insane. Every year we go through an influenza issue, bot no one pays any attention to it because it happens every year - its called flu season. Funny how complacent we all get. Then when the media goes out of its mind, we suddenly start paying attention and run to Target or Walmart and buy out all of the alcohol-based hand sanitizer we can get our hands on. Unbelievable. Sorry. The rant was necessary. Thanks for the numbers.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. VeeDubGuy02

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,258
    Name:
    Tom
    No apology necessary. I completely agree to a point. Aside from the media, there’s a certain amount of self education needed. You should question everything, all the time. Fear and panic drives change more often than Necessity and WAY more often than it should.

The link should be a live update of cases worldwide for those statisticians among us.

4. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,588
    It’s new and unknown hence the attention. How long does it last on surfaces, when can people infect others, when do they stop, etc.

People tend to panic with the unknown and over react. They feel like they need to control something in their life by buying stuff they don’t need.

For a really bad flu year fatality rate in US is about 0.2% or less. Covid-19 around 3% globally or 15 times higher and is significantly harsher on people with conditions ( as is flu ). It possibly spreads easier. Greater rate of hospitalizations. Current data seems to show an R sub zero of a bit more than 2 which is greater than the flu but less than Ebola. Also, longer recovery times and people who recover from severe cases more likely to have long lasting or permanent respiratory issues has has been the case for SARS survivors.

Vaccination helps mitigate flu. No vaccination for this virus yet.

Most people who get this virus may be fine on not even know they ever had it even if they were ill.

I’m one of those people in very high risk category due to immune suppression to treat Crohn’s disease. I have managed to avoid the flu for 30 years through good basic hygiene and vaccination but I get about 4-5 colds or sinus infections a year. I’m only doing a few things differently now. Basically avoiding large gatherings of people and I avoid shaking hands unless I can clean immediately. Even the latter isn’t much different than what I have been doing for years. When I shake hands with customers at Stroud Tackle of handle merchandise that a customer handles I fo in back and wash my hands as soon as possible.

The greatest risk I face is probably touching pin keypad I need to use to access my office space inside the building.

I spoke with my father who lives in the Bay Area today. He said no shortages of hand sanitizers and other cleaning products at local stores in his community and they all read the same news we do.

Perhaps the real travesty here is that following SARS breakout 18 years ago a number labs started working on vaccines that might have had potential for this outbreak. But that outbreak petered out and with that a lack of interest in funding.

I don’t feel the media has been out of control with this. However I due feel they pay too little attention to influenza because it such a common annual thing. If there was half as much media focus on flue compared to Covid-19 then maybe fewer people would get the flu or even common cold.

#4 CraigSmith, Mar 8, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  5. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,913
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Lets hope it is overblown . However Bill Gates heath organization ran computer models showing 65 million dead if it runs 18 months at the pace it is going . The old farts like me and the infirm are the ones to worry . Some of the afflicted in the nursing home that had 15 die were said to have symptoms for just hours before passing . The panic is just starting . I can remember my grand parents talking about all the friends and relatives the Spanish flu took in 1918 just saying . The mapping seems unusual to me that India has very little in the way of cases., Virus been there before ? Some have immunity ? Government not keeping track ? There are some of the most densely populated areas on the planet there . WR

#5 William Ritchie, Mar 8, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,588
    65 million dead is world wide. Other models have higher predictions. Some lower. 1919 Spanish Influenza (which originated in Kansas and was carried to Europe by US troops sent during WW I - Spain just had a particularly bad outbreak) estimate was about 50 million dead. That was for a much smaller world population. Medical care is better today throughout most of the world. However population density is much higher too.

At the nursing home many of those patients would have had underlying issues that lead to rapid decline of their critical organs.

Low number of cases in India , Bangladesh, and other densely populated areas may be a mater of tracking and testing this virus and associated cases not separated from other disease related fatalities.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,913
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    I always think it to easy to say people had underlying conditions . I don't think that it made them want to stay alive any less . Just my 2 cents . Hope we all manage to stay clear of it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,588
    By the way: The California Air Resources Boad (CARB) banned the sale of Denatured Alcohol, which is a form of ethanol, in California last year. Denatured Alcohol has additives to make it bitter so people don’t drink it. It has many uses.

Among other products CARB is considering banning is rubbing alcohol and isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol). Rubbing alcohol is made from either ethanol or isopropanol.

And also hand sanitizers and other disinfectants are on the hit list. Guess what the principle ingredient of hand sanitizers that kill lipid enveloped viruses ( like corona viruses) is?

9. Doubledigit333

Doubledigit333 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +262
    Boat:
    Ranger 177TR
    Bottom line...we shall find out soon how bad this outbreak really is.

The common flu backs off once the weather gets warmer.
    Once the warmer weather comes and the C outbreak is still spreading....start really worrying...IMO...of course.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Doubledigit333

Doubledigit333 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +262
    Boat:
    Ranger 177TR
    Oh......dont say the P word or **** will really hit the fan!

11. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,913
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Found it hard to get DA when I needed alcohol stove fuel for hiking . Guess the main reason was the containers were marked as glass cleaner so it fell under a different set of criteria when testing . Funny how the whole VOC thing can maybe come back around to bite us in the A## . It is OK to have 10 % or better in our fuel supply though . Thanks for your thoughts and observations . WR

#11 William Ritchie, Mar 8, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  12. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,588
    “Padres “ ?

the “****” hits the fan every spring

13. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,167
    I don't get why people are going nuts buying water and toilet paper.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. VeeDubGuy02

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,258
    Name:
    Tom
    Yea like where did that come from?! Lol stocking up for an Ebola outbreak?

15. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,433
    It’s great to see someone so well read on this thread! Totally agree with you, that’s what the science tells us.

interesting observation about subtropical countries (add Philippines and Indonesia to the list). Comparatively low incidence. Hopefully this virus will lessen with the heat of summer....

16. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,981
    One word.. MEDIA. The hysteria created over COV19 by the media has been unbelievable. Can't stop it. Just a bunch of opinion reporters running around throwing their best "Oh shyt, oh shyt" voices into the mix.

#16 Creek, Mar 9, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,167
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. VeeDubGuy02

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,258
    Name:
    Tom
    I’ve only messed around with it on my phone. Curious to check it out more on a better platform.

19. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,167
    Unfortunately one of the data servers must be down because a lot of information is missing.

#19 old_rookie, Mar 9, 2020
  20. spideyjg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,539
    I need to go to Costco and people are insane. The taps aren't getting turned off.