Coyote hunting?

Discussion in 'Hunting & Firearms' started by Swgityswag, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Swgityswag

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,060
    Hi yall:

Haven't posted in a while, school started and have been quite busy, and also because the hunting trips that we have gone on have been absolute trash lol. The spots I liked for rabbits and quails was incredibly dead after mid January so didn't have a trip worth posting. Now that rabbit season have ended I still want to be out there hunting lol so I am thinking about getting a yote. I am very new to coyote hunting and hunting in general so any tips would be greatly appreciated! I got a double cotton tail call and full body camo, I am thinking about hunting with a .357 rifle near mount laguna(Not the rec area just near it). Thinking about just walking in the canyons until I see tracks and then I will set up and start calling. Please feel free to call me an idiot if Im doing something wrong lol Thanks!

2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,774
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Generally they can be called in close . .357 mag will do the job and it is totally legal in the books . I have shot and skinned many , maybe to many to be proud of , but gave it up when I realized I like dogs and have a respect for the coyotes durability . Now is a good time because the pelts will be in good condition . I do not want to thwart your hunting , but if it were me I would hunt them with a camera , just me talking . You will have all the thrill of the hunt . If you want a nice pelt , by all means do it , just be aware of the mess and left overs that most will leave . If you have no adversion to eating them , that is a whole different story . Jack Rabbits are highly under rated as far as table fare , good in a crock pot . They are also open year round . Turkey season opens the 27th of March and will give a better game to chase . You will have a good amount of time to scout them out . Good Luck out there ! WR

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,278
    Boat:
    Montauk
    Lever action?

4. Swgityswag

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,060
    Thanks Mr.Ritchie. you know I actually wanna try out coyotes. Saw Steven renella eat one on YouTube and it didn't look that bad honestly. Will have to be very careful in preparing the meat but should be doable. I don't think I have seen a jack rabbit ever when I am out there? Granted I haven't been out there that many times but they seem a little hard to find lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  5. Swgityswag

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,060
    Bolt action

6. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,774
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    If you can get them close enough to ID well try to shoot the males , this is whelping season and you may find or realize that you are killing more than one with a dead female . Have fun with it , you can use mechanized calls and lights at night within the regs and you should find it easy to take as many as you can use , have a good hunt . WR

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. citruspirate

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,143
    Name:
    Michael/Mike
    fair warning coyote meat is probably gamey

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,033
    Boat:
    It floats
    Put a stick in the ground with a bird feather on string near your call. That way you can be sighted in perfectly. They will come right to the feather

#8 camobass, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +61,838
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Yotes aren't bad eating, I would recommend cooking thoroughly and taking extra care with the knife work tho. You are going too far west for the JRs tho, I would say. Plenty of you get far enough east

10. Swgityswag

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,060
    Interesting I will definitely try that

11. Swgityswag

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,060
    Lol if I get one I will letchu know

12. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,774
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Get a box of 20 mule team borax , and 5 lbs of pure salt no iodine , you will want a 3 inch fine or drop point knife as well as a 1 to 1.5 inch fleshing blade . Believe it or not a medium sized Buck 3 blade stockman pocket knife is about perfect . When you get the hide off , I suggest reading or watching tutorials made by trappers and pro hunters . Soak the removed hide in the borax mixed with cold water , this will clean the fur and remove / kill alot of the ticks and fleas . you will probably find a few Bott fly larvae as well . After a 24 hour soak rinse the hide and put it on a stretching frame while wet . now you can flesh and salt the hide . There are several ways to tan it but if you look up a simple brain tan recipe thats the way it has been done for millennia . Just make sure the recipe is for keeping the hair on the hide . They are pretty and can bring good money as well . In my younger days a buddy of mine and I supplemented our incomes quite well selling hides . Don't know the logistics or legality of it now . Shoot straight stay safe WR

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  13. Swgityswag

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,060

that sounds like good fun and gross at the same time haha, will report back if I ever get a yote

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,033
    Boat:
    It floats
    Works well with a slight breeze, drives them nuts. Chicken feather works great

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  15. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,991
    Having looked into it recently, both here and in AZ, near as I can tell all it takes is an additional permit to sell the hides. Feels a little more muddy for CA, but I don't think there is much of a barrier to it otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  16. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,991
    Which apparently I looked into it longer ago than I thought. State legislature banned sale of raw furs as of January 2020, with a full ban on any kind of fur sale of any kind in 2023. So not an operative method to get a bit of cash back from hunting anymore. In this state at least.

17. Swgityswag

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,060
    I was honestly just hoping to get a coyote for the meat and fur myself and the hunting experience lol, but honestly not surprising that CA banned fur sell. I would be more surprised if we r actually had freedom in CA lol

18. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,987
    Personally I could never just shoot a coyote for the fun of it. If I owned farm animals and needed to protect them, sure, but I have seen too many videos on Youtube of people who own coyotes, and they seem too similar to domesticated dogs.

But I wouldn't deter anyone from doing it, so good luck.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  19. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,221
    I shoot coyotes in my turkey spots during the off season. It helps with the pressure on the flocks. I have had good areas wiped out by coyotes. They kill what they can and push the birds out. We put a lot of pressure on these turkey and eliminating a few predators putting pressure on the same birds helps.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,289
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Turkeys roost safely in trees at night while yotes are hunting. Lots of coyotes in my neighborhood, but even more Turkeys.