Crankbait question

Discussion in 'Bay fishing' started by aquaman10293, May 13, 2017.

1. aquaman10293

aquaman10293 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,299
    bay fishing for ssb, the question is
    To rattle, or not to rattle, that is the question.
    Let's hear your opinion, sound off

2. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie SDRC Neophytes: 9
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,667
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    To Rattle, crankbaits are a reaction bite, its all about drawing attention to the crank bait and then getting them to eat it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,772
    Boat:
    3 too many
    I have caught 10 inch spotties on the sp15.. Ask Fat Spottie .. Lpo

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie SDRC Neophytes: 9
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,667
    Boat:
    Broken Yak
    The wobble of a crankbait is just as important as the rattle. For slower, clearer, and colder water I use a flat sided squarebill or a rattletrap that has little no rattle . For water that has more movement and action, typically murkier as well, I use a rounded squarebill with alot of rattle. There is always a balance as well in situations where you have murkier water but its not necessarily more rapidly moving water, so I'd use a crank that has alot of woblle but not a lot of rattle, and vice versa. I could also use a crank that has a little wobble and alot of rattle if I'm fishing in a fast moving clear water stream and vice versa. It took me a while to figure out my favorite combinations but once I did I was getting some great results. Strike King Squarebill are a good place to start out with testing this out, I;d stick to 1.5 models, I've had alot of success with them.

5. landman10

landman10 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +190
    love those crank baits but loved them more when i started bumping them across all structures. I think rocks have been my favorite.

6. Fourtogo

Fourtogo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +394
    Crank Baits

IMG_2980.JPG

7. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,089
    So if night fishing, do cranks work? Would imagine rattle is better?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,283
    Action causes a reaction. Rattles do very little IMO. Do they help? Maybe in some circumstances, but the action of the crank is huge. That's what I'd be focused on.
    My winter time skiff trips are 75% crankbait sessions.
    Norman, berkley, bomber, and rapala in a buffet of colors is what I bring. Some rattle some don't. All catch fish. I have noticed they will really key in on certain colors while crankbait fishing more than they do for soft plastics. This means a few casts per bait until the magic one reveals itself.
    I know I'm stretching this reply a bit, but only because some people may be able to use the advice. You really have to pay attention to what's underneath the surface and how far down it is. There are certain depths on cranks for a reason. Don't fish a crank that dives 12' in 8' of water.... It's common sense. I find crankbaits embedded in the weeds at minus tides a couple times per year. Thanks for adding to my arsenal.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Fourtogo

Ratings:
    +394
    Crank Baits /Drop Shots s lead heads / Carolina Rigs / Slugos / Fly Line / Bait in all verity / even a bobber and bait . Will all work at different times under different conditions. Some folks a more than willing put in the hours . Only using one system , or limit to just a couple . Other are willing keep changing till the hit a pattern that will work . I limit my self to three rods and one flip top box , with a verity of lures and rigs . Now I carry two flip boxes and the same rods in my Kayak , with weight in mind for every thing. It fishing / hunting / searching for fish .

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  10. Tnel73

Tnel73 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +411
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  11. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,772
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Works better for calico, if you watch RomanCastro s' vlog on YouTube..

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  12. Rpaur

Rpaur Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Cranks are alright.

20170831_072854.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. RomanCastro

RomanCastro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +726
    Name:
    Roman Castro Vlogs
    Hi aquaman10293! My opinion is yes on the rattle but action is the key. You have to fish it where you don't want to and be ready to get snagged. I get the most bites when the crank is bumping the rocks or sand on it's way back to the yak. I haven't been hit on a straight open water constant retrieve. When you are not hitting structure try sweeping the rod then reeling the slack on the way back and again. This will give the bait a chance to pause. Usually you will get hit when you start to sweep after a pause. That said I wouldn't recommend fishing from shore cause you will get snagged. Get on the water so you can re-position your vessel to pull the opposite direction than how you got stuck. If that fails get right above it and reel in all the line so your rod is in the water and the tip is on the crank. It's going to jack up your rod a little so I'll leave it up to you to sort out if it's worth it.
    I've worked snags for over 10 minutes and at just the right angle have been able to recover my cranks.
    K, probably too much info but I hope that helps.

14. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,536
    I haven't used cranks in MB yet but I'm on a skunk streak right now so I've decided to change it up seeing my
    Z-man bite has deserted me. I've changed out most of my cranks hooks to single hooks so that I could throw them in places I'd be afraid to with trebles, but I fished those cranks back when I fished lakes all the time, most times I was in a boat so I'll have to see how it goes in MB from shore, I don't get to the lakes that much now that I've moved in to San Diego. So my attitude is if I lose the cranks oh well, my wife and I recently decided to start using our fancy plates and glasses that were given to us when we got married we've probably only used them 3 or 4 times, I mean what's the point of just having them in a hutch to look at? In a different post I mentioned that back in the day I use to fish lake Hodges's with cranks and did well on Rapala Shad Rap's and once I started picking them up on cranks there was a time I was Crank Crazy I must of owned at least 10 of them and I experimented with some of them and made shallow runners out of them by cutting down the lips and making square bills out of them, they worked very well for me at Hodges's and sometimes at Otay. So why not MB?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. jusbayz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +960
    Oh Dang Vito!!! "must of owned at least 10"??? If that's the measure of being "Crank Crazy", then many if us are certifiably INSANE! LOL-I'm guessing a bunch of guys here have at least 10 Plano 3700's full of hardbaits & at least half of those contain shallow, medium or deep diving cranks! At least that's what's on the racks in my garage...yup, clinically "Lure Looney"!!! Anyone else care to confess?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,536
    I agree but I was talking about just the Rapala shadraps, I had a lot of other cranks too but I went nuts on the shadraps.

17. Nickweissmusic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +974
    I love these questions, as I am a nerd and have conducted a nerdly search on the subject, from the comfort of my nerdery.

My own experience is, physical vibrations and visuals have much more to do with catching fish than sound does. As far as similar sized crankbaits go, silent (and cheap) Strike King cranks have done MUCH more for me than noisy rat l traps over the years. Bouncing off structure is best but I’ve had several fish hit the strike kings in open water. I can’t remember the last fish I caught on a rat l trap, I almost never use them anymore.

Based on the article below, I did underestimate the hearing ability of fish, but it doesn’t address what sounds they’re actually listening for. I still don’t think that a ball bearing rattling against plastic is going to trigger a predatory response. Maybe it could get their attention from a distance, but there’s a lot of noise going on down there and I’m highly skeptical that humans in Kentucky have cracked the code on what hunting fish are listening for. I suspect rattling lures catch more fishermen than fish.

http://dosits.org/animals/sound-reception/how-do-fish-hear/

18. Fourtogo

Ratings:
    +394
    I believe Crank Baits are reaction lures , can be sight /sound /vibration . One most thrill ways to fish . Fish will hit them very hard as they strike .

19. Paulito

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,829
    Agree who cares about cryptocurremcy when you can invest in jerkbaits!?

Other than bass fishing, jerkbaits are reaction lures and so i get rattles for everything. I have other presentations for when they dont like rattles. Only bass and vina are sensitive to rattles imo. Some topwaters I have without rattles for vina.