Crappie, A little help please...

Discussion in 'Panfish' started by Baywolf, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Baywolf

Baywolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,471
    Name:
    Perry
    So, after our successful first ever Cat fish adventure on lake Wohlford, Shinna and I would like to try for some Crappie. I've read over a lot of the Crappie reports here and have gathered that crappie is a fickle fish to catch.

So, we're hoping there are some crappie fisher's who would not mind sharing some tried and true tips that might help jump start Shinna and I on our First Ever Crappie Adventure. LOL!

Any information that you might feel comfortable sharing with us would be greatly appreciated. As always, Thank you so much for helping to make our time here so much fun.

Perry and Shinna

2. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,643
    Here is a post I did a long time ago about January crappie fishing. All you need to know about January crappie fishing. It may get you started without giving away anyone's spot. I am not in the "club," so I am not bound by any oaths of secrecy. I recommend reading all the way through the comments.

• Helpful Helpful x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  3. Baywolf

Ratings:
    +1,471
    Name:
    Perry
    WhooHooo!!! Thank you. This is a gold mine of I formation. I very much appreciate the help! Sorry, somehow I missed this post.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +44,248
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    It's a good post I have read before... The SW panfish are getting going though.. not even a 2 lb class... Bigger ones coming soon, LMK if you are available Sunday evening...

IMG_20200103_155719.jpg

5. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,491
    El cap is producing pretty decent right now.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +953
    Crappie are the same as most fish as far as what lures to cast. I don't know what rods/reels you're using so I won't suggest any. Just be sure they cast light lures a nice distance and on small diameter, zero stretch line.

Many have lure preferences and favorite presentations, but as long as they cover water using medium to slow retrieves I say go for it. Sitting in one spot too long is a waste of time as is casting lures at one depth. You gotta find them before you can catch them.

Rocky California lakes near L.A I've fished were deep and not ones I liked to fish in. I'm more comfortable fishing lakes no deeper than 25' that have structure types and weed beds. Sonar is a must in my book - even units around $100. Knowing depth allows lures to be worked at specific depths fish are found in whether near surface, mid depth or near the bottom.

If I took a 5 year old fishing, the first lure I would hand him or her would be an unpainted ball head jig, 1/16 oz or lighter and soft plastic lure and would show that newbie a slow basic retrieve using reel handle pauses. Lure design choices used on light jig heads that catch all species are unlimited , always keeping in mind that lure design dictates lure speed and action. I'm sure you've stocked up on many you were comfortable using so I won't suggest any.

Lures find catchable fish indicated by strikes. Panfish can be concentrated in an area or more scattered, but often hold in area patterns for a day or even a week.

A light action rod, medium size reel and small diameter braid are the best combination for using light lures. It's rare me catching less than 25 fish in an outing and usually 35 or more.

Hope your trip went well.

#6 spoonminnow, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  7. Baywolf

Ratings:
    +1,471
    Name:
    Perry
    Thank you! This is very helpful. Although we didn’t get any on our last outing, we are not discouraged and will continue to get better.

8. Roy Justice

Roy Justice Original Member
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +103
    One tip not really mentioned about crappie.
    They feed up. If you fish too deep you will think there's no fish. Since they suspend depth and speed are all important. Thought I might share a little tidbit.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,643
    Now if we could just get you and Roy M to find a way to resurrect the old "Crappie 101" post, we would be be in business.

10. Roy Justice

Roy Justice Original Member
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +103
    That would be something

11. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,491
    Do your homework good is all I can say. Got them pretty good yesterday. Everyday is different with these things.

IMG_20200118_142418.jpg

12. Tarheelblue76

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +632
    Exactly. Back East we'd use bobbers, live shiners, and watch them yank down hard!

13. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +953
    Some examples of the lure selection all fish species attack:
    N6qoaQQ.jpg V7wEcEP.jpg brDhMxd.jpg rq1wYAN.jpg tpKhaen.jpg WWqvt1G.jpg 51QBxiZ.jpg gFZ59We.jpg zAc1ZZe.jpg p6FKGZV.jpg UpJO7tE.jpg SpNtmPn.jpg zB7hG2j.jpg WqLLzTn.jpg

Light ball head jig/ soft plastic lures and small diameter line (braid). Trolled crankbaits catch their fair share as does using small soft plastic lures under a float.

#13 spoonminnow, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List