Crawfish

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by eastcountyfisher, Jul 9, 2011.

1. eastcountyfisher

eastcountyfisher New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, so my friends and i caught about 100+ craw fish the other day, and i know that they are good bait. I was just wondering if anybody knows any place where we could sell them. We could easily get 200 more the next time we go to the place we catch them at. We were just catching them as fun. We actually caught some REALLY big ones. about 5 of them measured out to be 5 1/2 to 6 inches long which is a big crawfish. Then yesterday a guy showed up and started catching the small ones. And i mean small like 2 inches. He started telling us that he sells his for about $12 for every 9 he gets. And we were catching them at an average of about 3-4 inches plus. And we were wondering if he makes so much money off of the little ones how much could we make off of the big ones. And where we could sell them. I called lakeside bait & tackle but they won't buy them only from their main source. So any help would be appreciated! THANKS!

-ECF

2. vince

vince Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I do alot of trapping of all sorts of live bait. To sell live bait to second party. You have to have a commercial fishing license. There are a bunch of laws that go along with trapping and transporting live bait. Any questions about keeping all those mud-bugs healthy. Shoot me a e-mail.

3. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,156
    Yeah, there's a buttload of regs and licensing issues in dealing with live bait. I wanted to make a million pumping shrimp...and some guys do...but it's a big hassle and expense.
    About those big ones...
    Have you ever tried eating them? A few times, when we got 'em from clean water, we'd cook 'em up. Better than any shrimp you can buy!! Yum.
    It does take a lot of 'em to make a meal, though...