Crease Flies

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by CraigSmith, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Tomaso

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,059
    They look great! I don't think there's any doubt they'll catch fish. Early on, I had trouble getting mine to float upright... always wanted to list to port. Fish still ate them, though. Heavier hooks help with that...

2. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +503
    This is awesome. I was just at Michaels this weekend to pick up the white glitter and a couple of plain foam sheets for terrestrial

3. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,016
    Craig, do you notice a difference between the width of crease flies. Some of my first flies, I folded over a piece of 2mm foam. But I saw other examples of flies where a foam insert has been placed under the folded foam, to kind of round out the body. I imagine that a wider fly would pop more, and I suspect a thinner fly would zig and zag more. Any comments to this?

4. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,914
    The crease fly, though a surface fly wasn’t intended as a popper. But yes, if the front is rounder it will pop more. Also less likely to sit on its side due due being out of balance if tied on a lighter weight hook.

A foam plug will help maintain a rounder shape if that is what you want.

I have never bothered with a foam plug though I have plugged a few with sloppy epoxy work. They seem to behave about the same as the unplugged ones I have made but I haven’t spent much effort on side by side comparisons.

Look up the “Ron Dong Cease Fly” if you are interested in a super version with a lot of movement.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +503
    Here’s a pro tip - when Craig says DON’T use adhesive back foam, don’t do it. Michaels gave me the wrong sheet. On my online order, but I didn’t realize until it I had all my bucktail on the hook. Thought I’d give it a try anyway. Don’t bother. Actually, I rubbed a little bit of olive oil on the backing and wiped clean with a paper towel. It seems to help, but I can’t tell if it interferes with the super glue. So... don’t bother. Get the right stuff.

...back to michael’s...

6. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,914
    Yep, the only time you want to use adhesive back foam is if you want it on the outside and are going to apply shiny transfer foil or foils to it, covering the entire sticky surface.

Otherwise, if on the outside, the sticky stuff doesn't color well with markers or paints and the overcoating of epoxy or whatever doesn't seem to adhere well. And if it isn't covered crud sticks to it.

If you do have adhesive foam and are not going to apply foil, then the adhesive side needs to be on the inside. Again stuff can stick to it, and you may have difficulty glueing the bottom edges together.

7. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,914
    Yep, the only time you want to use adhesive back foam is if you want it on the outside and are going to apply shiny transfer foil or foils to it, covering the entire sticky surface.

Otherwise, if on the outside, the sticky stuff doesn't color well with markers or paints and the overcoating of epoxy or whatever doesn't seem to adhere well. And if it isn't covered crud sticks to it.

If you do have adhesive foam and are not going to apply foil, then the adhesive side needs to be on the inside. Again stuff can stick to it, and you may have difficulty glueing the bottom edges together.

8. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,016
    The glitter foam I used is adhesive. One fly folded on itself and is pretty flat, but I've since put a piece of non-adhesive foam in the middle, hence my question about body width. Seems to work okay, but it is sticky. Still haven't fished them yet, though.

9. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +503
    I picked up another sheet of glitter foam, this time from hobby lobby. It’s a bit thinner at 1.5mm, but I also decided to use a sliver of 2mm white foam I had on hand to fill the gap. The adhesive foam could have worked, but with a bit more planning and tinkering. Lighter colored sharpies worked well (light green with teal stripes), and even worked well on the bucktail with little finesse.

10. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,016

Let's see them!

11. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +503
    WIP!! I wanted to put a few more together before sharing. The first one ain’t so pretty, but now I know where I went wrong. More tips to come.

12. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,914
    X-acto knives are a great solution to that.

I know from personal experience. More than once I have just cut the foam off and made a new body. And foam is cheap.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List