cruising yellowtail at crystal pier

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by eatandrelease, Aug 25, 2010.

1. eatandrelease

eatandrelease Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Went fishing with my daugter 8/24 at crystal pier. I was using cut squid. I landed a 10# bat ray just before the high tide. Also, I saw
    2 cruising yellowtail (15#ish)they came from the north right to the end of the pier, hung around for a few minutes and took off. I did'nt
    have anything to throw at them, so I made a quick jig (I gutted a squid "canopy" section, threaded my line thru the top, tied on a sliding egg sinker and a hook, peeled the canopy back over the weight and hook, and cut some flutes to hopefully give it some action)tossed it out and started jigging it. I got one to turn and look but no takers. Next time i will bring some irons.

2. daygoVR6

daygoVR6 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    dam yellow tails off crystal pier might have to take the heavy tackle down there ....

3. AlwazeFishing

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29
    Good luck tryin to get a strike. Are you sure they weren't White sea bass

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    there back ;
    about 4 years ago every morning 8-9 am they would cruise through, i got two that year one went 25 lbs. you have to be ready 25-30lb outfit ,a pier gaff . make bait earlier using the sabaki rig. you need a bucket with enough rope to get yourself fresh water every so often.you have to wear them out if you bring them in to hot they will get ya in the pilings etc. stand outside the rail and go for it .tight lines

5. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40
    Nice work on the makeshift jig. Woulda been epic if it worked.

Yeah, the yellows are known to make stops at Crystal and OB, and even the MB jetty on occasion.