Cumberland Boston Valve

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by fisheromen, Jun 4, 2021.

1. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,975
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    The Boston Valve of the Cumberland is "special". I have tried to order generic ones and they are too small. I think I need one with a 24mm diameter thread. The part from Classic Accessories is $12 plus shipping. Price gouging IMO! Seems the larger valves are from the UK. Has anyone already waded these waters? Any findings?

2. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,618
    20210614_182038.jpg Hiya Paul. If you haven't sorted this yet....
    I tried to fix a verrrry slow leak in one valve on a used tube. Bought a 2 pack of Airhead valves..about 7 dollars and Amazon free shipping.
    "Buy this kit, they're slightly different, one of 'em is bound to fit," said the interwebs consensus.
    They were almost right. Anyway, swapping around parts, one of em sorta fits but still has a verrry slow leak. I'm gonna keep it for a spare in case one gets lost or damaged. The threads are about 15/16" OD which is about 25 celsius, right? Thread length is about 5/8.
    You'd think they'd use standard threads on these things.
    Next time you're headed near Santee throw your tube in the car...you can test drive the valves I bought and see if either one fits.
    You can have the one that doesn't fit my tube. If the other one fits your tube...you can't have mine but at least you can order it from amazon...
    PM me if you wanna give it a shot.
    CK

#2 carpkiller, Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,975
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I bought a 2 pack once and yes one of them did fit. Just can't remember where I got it. It was not red. I have been tempted by those! I think the Cumberland ones are the ones they use in the UK.

Thanks carpkiller !

4. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,618
    yeah, I like the red ones in case I drop it somewhere......glad you got it sorted out.

5. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,779
    Looks like the valve that was on an old Fish Cat 4 I had. Make sure it is very clean, even a spec of dirt or sand can cause it to leak. Might work to put an O-ring around the threaded part, I can't tell from the images. Might also help to put a thin layer of grease on the threads.

https://pumpupboats.com/boston-valve/#replacing_boston_valves

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,975
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I always put bee's wax on the threads. Thanks for the input.