Cumberland first impressions....

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by carpkiller, Jul 7, 2021.

1. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,616
    Used my new tube at Barrett last weekend.

What it does better than my old low-rider U-tube :

The Cumberland rides very high and dry. Using the same leaky-*** waders, a daylong ride in the Cumberland left my shorts nearly dry.

C has bigger pockets, with twin zippers. Carry more, easier to get to it as well.

C has storage behind the seat; I kept a dry bag and landing net stowed there.

What the Caddis Nevada Gold does better:

CNG is smaller and lighter, can be carried a loong way. Or even deflated and inflated at the water's edge with just a piece of vinyl tubing and lung power.

CNG is smaller overall; if I decide to go fish that swampy cesspool pond where you have to drag your gear through a narrow gap in the tules, this will be the tube to take.

CNG has better back support. My back's right against the back of the tube, and as long as it's not seeping air, I can lean back and be supported. The foam seat back in the Cumberland simply folds backward when I lean on it, no matter how tight the side straps are.

CNG far more maneuverable. That thin little seat that lets your butt sag in the water also doesn't interfere with your legs when you kick. You can reach waaaay back under the tube to start each kick. Kinda like the difference between using six-foot oars rather than eight-foot oars. The CNG spins on a dime; a good eggbeater kick with one fin and the tube is turning. The Cumberland tube doesn't really allow an eggbeater kick; your knees are locked in place (laterally) by the pontoons because you're sitting higher so you cannot pivot your lower legs out to the side for dynamic turns. The Cumberland's thick seat restricts the fore-and-aft movement of your lower legs, shortening the power stroke. In the Nevada Gold, your knees are at the waterline, and you have nearly unrestricted movement of your lower legs.

Conclusions:

The Nevada Gold tube allows longer kicks, at different angles, giving that tube faster maneuverability overall. However, there's more cargo dragging below the waterline, so some of that advantage is lost when moving in a straight line.

The people who prefer a long straight fin for float tubing aren't nearly as ignorant as I initially believed them to be. When your leg motion is restricted to a short-stroke, straight scissor kick with legs extended from the tube, you're gonna move more water and get the most thrust with a long straight fin. If they were using a lower-riding tube that allows more than double the length of each kick, AND more sideways mobility to turn the tube, a longer fin is just cumbersome.

More Research required:

If I am trunking it in the Cumberland with the high and dry seating position....and it becomes high and wet....will the tube reek of urine at the end of the day? Will an occasional rinse be enough to avoid the pee-pee smell?

If I use thinner seat foam in the Cumberland, I will ride lower. Will that allow a better reach on the back stroke of each kick, and propel the tube forward with more efficiency? Will it add maneuverability if my knees are closer to the bottom surface of the seat?

A common thread found on float tube boards involves installing an aluminum-framed lawn chair or stadium chair in the tube...now I understand....Can the seat back be stiffened to give better back support?
    20210707_123631.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  2. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,975
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Pull out the visual aids as my Dad used to say! More weight and longer legs might help with the maneuverability. You don't want the weight and you can't get more length in your legs. Carry on!

BTW, I noticed the water around both tubes is yellow!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,681
    If you have bad knees, long fins will just make them hurt. I tried long fins, and I will never use them again. My knees need the lower gearing of a short fin design.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,616
    fisheromen found the Easter Egg....

5. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,616
    Okay. Fiddled around a bit with the seating position. Using the stock seat base, but adding a foam pad (green) to the backrest resulted in some improvements.
    It moved the center of gravity (250 pounds of cargo) toward the stern, which corrected a slight nose-down attitude.
    And, my knees are now well past the edge of the seat base, so I can reach back under the seat to get a long 90 degree sweep with each kick. Still plenty of room between my knees and the spreader bar; on the old tube the bar sat across my knees.
    The back support offered by this setup still sucks. Next prototype will involve using a thinner, longer seat base extending out and supporting under my legs. Maybe if I'm sitting four inches lower, the seat back won't just fold down when I lean against it. tube 2.jpg

6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,975
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Hey Rob, try putting a square kitty litter bucket behind the seat. Stiffens the back right up! Good cargo container too.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,616
    Thanks, Paul. I will give that a shot.
    Meanwhile, I cut up an old 3- rod rack and added a few bits, because the old one wasn't quite heavy enough.
    This thing's snugged up tight to the d-rings with some double-sided velcro straps. And because it was still light enough for me to lift...barely...I added a stabilizer bar that goes under the pontoon to lock the rack in a vertical position..canted outboard just a few degrees.
    20210714_135310[1].jpg

8. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,779
    Nice rod rack. Although I thought you might put in one more rod position just to up me one.

9. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,975
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    ABS is a good bit lighter than PVC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,616
    Eight hours in the tube today, testing stuff.
    1. Paul's bucket/backrest. Filled w fins, pfd, dry bag to portage to the launch. Placed in bow for back support. A++
    2. Tried a short soft rod for casting lighter baits with more precision. F.
    3. Compared seat foam vs no seat foam, back to back. No foam, butt in the water, tube rides, turns, and accellerates magnificently. A
    4. Rod rack. With no foam the seat sags and rack tilts inward. Need a different angle on the stabilizer bar. Incomplete
    5. Tried a small skirted jig that I was SURE would kill the spotties. It did not. But I couldn't find the bite. Incomplete
    Only got a handfull of bass all day. But refinement of the new tube continues.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,975
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I have an eyelet on the bottom of mine. From that I run a long bungee to a D-ring on the other side. I make my own Bungees out of 1/4" marine grade material. I get the hooks off of cheap dollar store bungees.

12. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,370
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Saw a guy at Sutherland with a 12 rod rack...why not 14......

13. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,370
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    I wondering if a plastic cutting board placed in the seat back would stiffen it up?? But sometimes I like to lean back to get a stronger straight leg kick!

14. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,370
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Will a 5 gal. Home Depot bucket work??

15. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,975
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    The square is the ticket. You could try.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,779
  17. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,370
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    I was hoping you would try it..

18. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,370
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    My litter comes in bags from Costco!

19. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,975
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Pretty sure that will not provide the necessary support. Unless, of course, the kitty litter is still in the bag.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  20. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,779
    He will need to get the light weight litter if he plans on that.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List