Cumberland pros/cons

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Gary B1946, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Gary B1946

Gary B1946 Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Name:
    Gary Baldridge
    Trying to get back into fly fishing after 50-year hiatus. Planned to go to Barrett Sept, but experts on that forum said don’t even think of if unless you have a float tube. Never used tube in my life, but if necessary evil, will do it. After hours on internet, am drawn to Cumberland. Particularly like idea of sitting a bit higher in water. Request any and all input on Cumberland (or alternate). Specific questions:

1. Sitting higher in water = less depth for fins. I’m 74 and need all the kick I can get. Issue with Cumberland?

2. Understand Cumberland has back straps. Normal terrain, how difficult to transport (I am 6'1", 200 lbs and in decent shape (at least for age)?

3. Does higher in water = more difficulty in wind?

4. Need to add D-Rings for attaching whatever?

5. Overall favorable/unfavorable ratings?

Thanks for input.

2. david88

david88 Member

Ratings:
    +19
    My input:
    1. You shouldn't have an issue with kicking. I'm 5'8" and have no issues. It's more important to make sure you have comfortable boots and fins.

2. The cumberland is not that heavy to transport with back straps. I think you will have no problem.

3. Not really. Wind will affect tubes and kayak fishing always but you will not find much difference between different float tubes. Most likely minimal to no difference.

4. Most float tubes come with some D rings that you can attach carabiners to if you want to leash down an item or attach a rod holder system for example.

5. I currently use a Cumberland and think it's a good all around tube. Many others I have seen use it as a good all rounder as well. Some other companies you can check out also are Buck's bags, Caddis, Creek company, and Fishcat.

Many float tube fishermen more experienced than me will most likely post here. My thoughts are that float tube fishing is very enjoyable. If you have access to freshwater ponds, lakes, or saltwater bays you will have plenty of chances to use it enjoyably. Check out https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com/ also for another float tube forum.
    Good luck!

3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +54,961
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
  4. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,140
    I don't care for the seat much. I feel like I sit foward in the water, angled downward. I'd prefer if could lean back a little and "sink into" the seat a bit more. I'm 5'7, 150. It looks like people in FishCats are able to sit more comfortably, and it's been too long since I've been in one for me to remember if so.

The back straps are great, but I can haul it over my shoulder one handed if needed for a short walk.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably go with a Fishcat, but I wouldn't say it'd be worth upgrading at this point.

5. i'dratherbef___ing

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,571
    Name:
    Armida
    I'm new to float tubing but I have two Cumberland's and you're more than welcome to take one of them out to do your comparison.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. Gary B1946

Gary B1946 Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Name:
    Gary Baldridge

7. doubletap

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +821
    lol while barrett is not friendly for shore fly fishing
    float tubing is not friendly to 70 + year olds
    you better be in good shape for your age
    or just don't go very far which is doable at barrett

8. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,274
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I'm 65 and kick all over the place in my Cumberland. (not in great shape) Force fins make a big difference. (I had another kind and was plagued with cramps!)
    I must say that I have to readjust myself back in the seat every now and then. Not sure if that is a Cumberland thing or a tube thing. Never been in another tube.

I really enjoy tube fishing! I have caught more and bigger Bass since I started fishing in a tube.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,756
    Is the reason you're going with Cumberland due to a money issue? And as Fisheromen said, the fins mean everything when float tubing... unless you enjoy muscle cramps that will make you call 911 for help.

10. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,796
    I have the Super Fish Cat, had a Fish Cat before that (fell apart after a few hundred tubing sessions from UV damage) and like it a lot. Have not used a Cumberland but have a friend who recently upgraded from a Cumberland to a Fish Cat and says the Fish Cat is a lot easier to propel. I also like the Force Fins, much better than dive fins. You will be just fine tubing if you are in good physical shape and go often enough to get your endurance up. I think most of use stocking foot breathable waders and put dive booties over that before putting fins on, that works well. You can get straps from https://www.floattubefishing.com/product/float-tube-backpack-straps/

11. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,397
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    I'm also 65ish..love my Cumberland, have had others but like the comfort of the Cumberland seat. I've done many 8 hour sessions on Crowley with no problems. I've also had lots of fins..ended up with Force fins 5 years ago, the way to go!

12. Gary B1946

Gary B1946 Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Name:
    Gary Baldridge
    Based on excellent input received from Members, I have decided that Barrett is not for me at this time. Shore fishing seems out of the question. Thought about float tube but not ready for that yet. Not realistic to learn float tube in time to fish Barrett Sep 12. Likely will get float tube in future but will need one of those drill paddles.

Bottom line, I have tickets for Barrett for Sep 12 & Sep 26. Will make them available (no charge) on Barrett Ticket Trader forum tomorrow (Friday, Aug 21) at 1:00 pm. First come/first serve. One date per member.

Looking through the posts on Ticket Trader, sounds like adding name can be a hassle and not always successful. If anyone has had recent experience accomplishing the change, appreciate input on getting it done.

Again, appreciate input from forum members. If boat rentals return to Barrett next year, hope to see you there.

Thanks to all.

13. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,274
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Not much of a learning curve for tubing. Kicking and turning, that's about it. Unless the wind blows you into the tullies.

14. Gary B1946

Gary B1946 Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Name:
    Gary Baldridge
    Just wanted to let everyone know my Barrett tickets for 9/12 & 9/26 are on the Barrett Tickets forum. FREE. Those that posted replies to my post get first shot through end of Saturday. If no takers from those that replied, then available to all comers first come/first served.

15. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +54,961
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Gary B1946 .. why not just go? Check it out, toss a clouser into the bushes from the dock for some huge bluegill, maybe luck into a couple bass...

16. Gary B1946

Gary B1946 Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Name:
    Gary Baldridge
    Good suggestion. After all the input from the forum, taking a more realistic approach to my return to fly fishing. Had a casting lesson from Dan at The Fly Stop this a.m. He is great! Now trying to get all the "fly casting YouTube videos" out of my head. Get back to basic casting and practice, practice, practice. Have pretty much decided to book a bass guide trip with Alex (also The Fly Stop) for me and son-in-law. Idea is to get somewhat proficient with fly rod and hooking bass (never done on fly before). Who knows, when Barrett opens next season, may join all with float tube, fly rod and one of those drill propellers (mainly for getting back to shore). I want to try Barrett. Just not right now. Again, thanks for the input.

17. doubletap

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +821
    you don't have to go to barrett to get a bass on the fly
    several lakes a lot closer and cheaper then barrett
    are doable from shore with fly gear

18. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,183
    Gary, I have a spare Fish Cat 4. If you want to take one for a spin to check it out hollar at me. Have spare waders and fins too.

Scott

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  19. BILL NELSON

BILL NELSON Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +203

20. BILL NELSON

BILL NELSON Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +203
    Good tube - my first - for a few years - still have 2 in my garage
    Wait a year or two and upgrade if it is something you like and do enough to justify spending more

Costco had them for $150 with fins - get better fins right away if you go that route