Current fish finder options

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by mistercameron, Aug 20, 2019.

1. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +507
    Any recommendations on fish finders that won't break the bank - something that works reasonably well enough fo the occasional outing? I'm going to use it most on my float tube, but also have an inflatable I'm trying to resurrect. Recently discontinued models are OK, but anything too far back will be hard to locate.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,374
    You know what I use.. and I loved it right away so much that I worked my arse off to find a second one.. on eBay.. Humminbird Fishin Buddy 110..

Its a grayscale finder. I really only have it so that I know how deep I am and where the drop-offs and ledges are. But it has the ability to see moving objects (fish) and project their depth.

Compare it to the bigger and badder fish finders that are basically in a huge harness that attach to one of the tubes - either side. The heavy as heck battery pack has to go inside one of the saddlebags.. leaving no room for anything else. My mentor Richard got one last summer. He originally had the Humminbird 110. Of course, I bought exactly what he had. His broke last summer so he got this newer contraption. No room on his float tube for anything now.

Advantages.. the 110 (or 120, or MAX, or any of the other Fishin Buddy series) is that they are one-piece units and run on either 6 or 8 AA batteries. Its a single-piece unit that sits in a "holster" that is attached to your float tube - right in front of the saddlebag - with a thick velcro strap and buckle. As a safety measure, I do two extra things.. I've attached a leash to my unit and I simply hook it onto the zipper. If the velcro strap ever failed, it would go straight down into the drink.. it would hang there until I could retrieve it. Secondly, I place an 8x12" bag over the head unit. This keeps saltwater from invading the connections. Every few months or so, I use a fine paint brush and push Corrosion X down into the female connections, and brush it all over the male connections.

As long as you're diligent about caring for your gear, it will last forever. I treat all of mine like I'll never be able to buy another one. Rinse after every outing, wet-wax the sonar, rod, reel and line, and rinse everything else.. twice.

I'll add some pictures in a bit for you so you can see how my stuff is mounted, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,374
    There are very few new 110's out there. But I saw one last week on eBay for 130. I already have two, so I didnt get it.

You can get the newer color series Fishin Buddy (Max) for 135 on eBay. I have no idea what that sonar is like or how it operates, etc. What I do know is that like the 110, the 120 because they are black n white systems.. The Max and the other Humminbird units are now color, but are still a one-piece unit, so you wont be taking up any internal storage space on your float tube with a brick battery. Here's a few pics I promised..

1.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.JPG

#3 Creek, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,715
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    I have the 130 fishn buddy works great and picks up bottom type couldn't find 110 when creek first told me been very happy.

5. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +507
    Would these also work on kayaks? (I’m toying with the idea)

6. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +507
    ...and according to the hummingbird website, it appears the whole Fishin Buddy line is now discontinued.

7. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,715
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,374
    So heres what I would think about kayak usage and compatibility..

New, these things come with a HUGE and heavy metal clamp. I never had a need for the clamps, so I simply threw both of mine out in the trash. They're meant for clamping onto the side of most any small boat. Can they be clamped onto a (non-inflatable) kayak? No clue. But if the clamp fit and held in place, why not. Only problem is, speed causes the sonar transducer rod to shudder. Being in a float tube, we would never see speed like a boat or kayak can give, obviously. But apparently, the shuddering can snap that transducer pole in half. So the sonar should only be used with slow speed vehicles.. like a float tube.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,374
  10. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,747
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Just get the 99$ FF for the yak.. power it with 8 rechargeable AA batteries.. small displays and less features yields longer battery life

11. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,640
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
  12. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +507
  13. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,715
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    I have the Garmin striker 4 portable great fishfinder but hard to mount to a tube.you need a small table set up on your tube usually mounted on a pvc rod holder setup.i use it on my homie i11s and kaboat.if you look at my i11 post you will see it

14. RolloTomasi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,507
    Boat:
    Nice tube cheap yak
    Avoid the lower-end Lowrances (lots of “3x and dead” reviews - and my experience). I got a Garmin 4 Striker - so far so good.

I’ve not used my tube since getting a yak...

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  15. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +507
  16. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +507
    For $20 more you get a few more (nicer) features... Garmin STRIKER™ Plus 4 | GPS Fishfinder w/ CHIRP
    I like the GPS contour mapping. I don't fish with much gear, so setting some saddle bag space aside for a battery won't be that big a deal, especially if the only thing involved is finding a smaller power pack on eBay or Amazon. I can solder, so i'm not too worried about that aspect.

17. RolloTomasi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,507
    Boat:
    Nice tube cheap yak
    IMO, that’s worth the extra $20. Check out the NOCQUA batteries. Very small, but not cheap.