1. Anglers Marine is looking for motivated, qualified, career driven employees for their Lakeside location. Full time Counter Sales, Part Sales, and Boat Sales positions are available at their Lakeside location. Health insurance and 401k benefits are available. Pay based on experience. Contact Rick or Cindy at 714-666-2628 if interested.
    Dismiss Notice

custom soft plastic swimbait molds, flakes, colorants

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by MarkQuinlanJr, Aug 16, 2016.

1. MarkQuinlanJr

MarkQuinlanJr Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Name:
    MarkQuinlan
    Looking to sell my 4" and 5" swimbait molds 11 4" cavities and 5 5" cavities. Along with 3 5" grub tail. A lot of flakes and colorants. Text me if interested or want more info and pictures. 760 623-5592

IMG_20160816_092218.jpg

IMG_20160815_182737.jpg

2. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,304
    Beauties!!!!!

3. Jimmy30003

Jimmy30003 Active Member

Ratings:
    +46
    I got two baits I made that I would like to get a mold made do u no where i can get these done

15225371756122091856271.jpg

15225372158681697134610.jpg

4. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,304
    Yes. You can make the molds yourself. It will be 5x's cheaper than having someone draw up the shape on a CAD program and having a CNC machine mill it out of aluminum. If you know someone who is proficient with CAD programs and has a 3D printer you can make a clean prototype. Then you can cast your own mold out of RTV silicon. There are free CAD programs online if you wanted to play with using them yourself. If you can learn the program and draw up a 3D design, you can save it to a USB drive and bring it to someone who owns a 3D printer.

There's a place in SD caller Aero Marine products (off of Miramar Rd) that sells all kinds of mold making material. Once you have a mold made, you can pour infinite numbers of lures. You can also follow the same process with your prototype and add 10 parts odorless mineral spirits to 90 parts of the RTV silicon mixture. Over the course of about 3 weeks, the mineral spirits will evaporate off, and the mold will shrink by 25%. This would be what you would want to do if you wanted a smaller version of the mold. So what I always recommend is to start out with an over-sized prototype. Then you can shrink it down several times and come up with smaller versions of the shape you like.

5. Jimmy30003

Jimmy30003 Active Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Sounds like a lot of work but I'm with berkley and they said that they would market it but I would have to get a trademark on it and then they would discuss putting it on shelves but someone told me to go to anglers arsanal and they could pour it

6. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,304
    It really isn't a lot of work. You just need a flat, non stick surface (like a piece of acrylic plastic), and some material to make a mold box around your prototype lure. Superglue your lure down to surface of the plastic and build your mold box around it. Use hot glue to seal all the edges to prevent the silicon from pouring out.

Then mix your RTV silicon. Typically the ratio is 10:1 silicon to catalyst. I have a vacuum chamber to degass my silicon, but it isn't necessary. It definitely helps in removing bubbles. Silicon takes 24 hours to cure, so the bubbles have plenty of time to escape. But by degassing it, you ensure a bubble free pour.

VERY SLOWLY pour the silicon around your rubber lure. Take a super soft bristle brush and dab the lure to make sure the silicon gets in every little nook and cranny. Then increase your pour speed to cover the lure. RTV stands for "Room Temperature Vulcanizing", thus the curing process begins and ends at room temperature over the course of 24 hours.

After 24 hours de-mold your lure. You will have a perfect replica of the original. The only reason I suggested using a CAD program is the lure looks a but unrefined- like it's a mixture of several lures just glued together. Now there's nothing wrong with doing that. But it's impossible to have clean lines.

If Berkley said they want to trademark the lure, then they will take it back to the drawing board and refine it. They are more interested in your concept than anything else. But they are big time, and they don't have your personal interests at the forefront. So be wise. Protect yourself and negotiate well!

7. Jimmy30003

Jimmy30003 Active Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Well I'm pretty sponsord .by berkley they give me a 1000 dollars worth of free tackle a year and I have a team # but how they came about noticing me was I caught 20 big bass out of lake Murray in 10 mounths 2 seasons ago but I think they won't try to get over on me but thanks for the tip

8. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,304
    So if Anglers Arsenal pours it, they are going to use the same technique I just suggested- except they will charge you 3x's as much as it would cost you to do it. Plus, they will have the mold blank at that point. They aren't going to get on CAD and design it and make a 3D blank of it. They would use you're existing prototype. But I've never heard of a tackle shop doing anything like this before.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Jimmy30003

Jimmy30003 Active Member

Ratings:
    +46
    U could be right u never no but I guess I'll try it and see what happens thanks

10. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,304
    If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime. There are 1000's of videos on YouTube that show how to make a mold for any shape you want to cast. They show you how to mix RTV silicon. They show you how to make a mold box. They show you how to heat plastisol, add colorant, and demold the final product. The materials are nominal in price compared to how much it would cost to have someone do the work for you. You said you needed a mold made. I gave you a suggestion that incorporated the least amount of money with the greatest amount of learning and wisdom to be taken away from it. Once you try it once, you will realize how easy it is, and you will find yourself making molds for anything and everything. You can even take sculpy clay and create your own shapes, instead of gluing together bits and pieces of other pre-existing lure designs. To be honest, you sound pretty unmotivated. You want it done for you. Knock yourself out. I wish you luck. But true lure innovators WANT to be involved in every step of the process. They want to be able to replicate their custom lure designs. They want to be able to pay pennies per lure to produce them.

Now don't get me wrong. I commend you for your design. I hope it takes off. But you don't seem to have the ambition or drive to follow through to the end. Just my opinion (based off of your responses). However, I hope you prove me wrong my friend.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,707
    Let us know when it hit store shelves with that new max scent formula. I’m always down to try new stuff.

12. zoner

zoner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,400
    Name:
    Mike
    Very good post,sir. But i will disagree about your first statement. If you give a man a fish he will eat for a day( I agree with that)...if you TEACH a man to fish he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day haha

13. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,304
    LOL. Indeed.