Daily Double 7/8

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by kyle12345, Jul 9, 2018.

1. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,153
    Name:
    Kyle
    Had a great trip Sunday on the Daily Double. The day started out very slow, basically it was scratching a few bass here and there for the first spots. I caught a few shorts and was also using shrimp with hopes of hooking up with a Sheepie. but to no avail, only small rockfish and a short calico.

As dusk approached, then things really opened up. I switched over to the recommended live bait (anchovies), and was getting bit on every drop or I missed them. I was using a 2/0 hook. After catching around 5-6 bass this way, I switched to the hook-up bait and was getting a bass on every cast. I caught around 6-7 bass this method and was still getting bit as we were leaving. It was cast and catch. Some gals next to me asked if I was "pro"We got in quite late, maybe 9-9:15.

The boat and crew were great. When I listened to their advice I got bit (also dusk helped too). I really appreciated how after a bit of a slow day, Captain Fred stuck around to let us catch bass. I am sure, had I gone straight bait (as was recommended), I would've even caught more, but I really wanted a sheepie :).

My wife reminded me that we have enough fish (except if I caught a nice sheepie or some scorpionfish), so frankly I was letting everything go until a group next to me asked me to give them fish I caught, so I obliged. The vast majority were shorts, but I was able to catch at least a few keepers, one or two of which I gave them. They were very appreciative, which is always nice to see.

All and all, I estimated I caught around 12-15 bass, mostly all of them undersized, but all of them really fun to reel-in. For me, at my level, I consider that a very good day. Indeed a more experienced angler would probably have done even better.

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,486
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Nice work.. can't beat a day on the water.. well done

3. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,775
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    I dunno guy. 15 bass on a sport boat sounds like a pretty solid outting to me. Don't sell yourself short. But good to hear it's not going to you head either hah.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,613
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    A lot of shorts that day.. my thumb took a beating to because I was being stupid about lipping bass rather then gilling them. There were some fun passangers that trip lol.