Daily double today

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by Redjim, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Redjim

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,567
    Decided to do something different and go out on the Daily Double today. Hit the barge and got a few baits down for 2 short sandies. Off we went, a few troll stop fish with mostly singles and one double. Our most successful stops were on sonar schools, hooray for souped up fish finders. My first fish came over the rail on 12 pound floro topped with 4 feet of 20 pound segaur. The gauntlet was reel, obstacles of tangles along with non reactionary anglers. My rod got sealed after a hook and hand to a woman, time to respool. "Oh my God, I got something really big!" SNAP... I lost a dozen fish today, a few farmed and a few more were the results of not reacting quick enough to stay out of the dangerzone. ended up with 4 in the sack and a full limit of good times. I now remember why back in the days of gunnysacking fish and baking them all day in the sun, bonito were so often discarded as fun to catch, but a mushy mess to butcher. I found out that softsided coolers are acceptable on board. If I am to fish bonito again on a vessel without an rsw, I'm bringing a kill bag full of ice. To me, it is a shame to lose so much tasty flesh that will result in me having to spend more $ on proteins for meals. Great times, there was at least one other member of our group on board. Tight lines

2. agrazela

agrazela Unstable Subgenius
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,107
    Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    SeaHunt172CC Opti125
    Where were you fishing?

3. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,412
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Border

Farmer John over here was letting the bonito run him to the fences lol. There was a tough amount of helmets to deal with today, along with people who say "I know what I'm doing".

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Redjim

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,567
    Yeah, 12 pound was a bit light today. On a personal boat with less people, it would be different. Switched to the 15 pound, and it was game on. I would let the fish run quite a ways, getting it beyond most of the tangle fields, making it easier to turn the head and then the handle at the end of a run when the fish slows down.

5. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,117
    Name:
    Kyle
    Nice work as always.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,757
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Bleed them yourself if they don't, soak your sack every so often on the trip and then have them gill/gut instead of filet. Then throw them on ice overnight to cool down and firm up before you filet them at home. Problem solved.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,412
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    It’s standard to bless the bonies and to keep the bags watered down. Matt cooked some of the he had initially fresh and I gotta say... it wasn’t bad at all. Not as firm as I hoped for but it was still on the firm side. Mixed it without some onions mayo and tapitio it was pretty good.

#7 Fat Spottie, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  8. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,757
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Yeah, it isn't super firm no matter how well you take care of it, RSW or not. It gets better when you get into those 10 lbers.

I just like it. I use to just get home, throw the filets in a zip lock with teriyaki and pineapple, shower, cook it up in a pan and serve over rice. It was good.

But I found that fishermans belly, man, his bonito Parmesan recipe is killer. He also has a smoked bonito sandwich recipe that I want to try. I am on a chartered all day trip to catalina at the end of the month. Hopefully I come home with the goods to give it a go.

Bottom line with bonito for me is this....its edible, not only that, its pretty good. I am out fishing to have fun and bring home some food....why would I not keep a fish that can feed my family a couple nights. Even with gunny sacks on day trips to catalina, if you or the crew pay attention to the sacks and keep them cooled with water....its not so bad. Like I said, if you just get them to gill and gut the bonito, you can keep it on ice when you get home to firm it up and it filets much better.

9. Fat Spottie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,412
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Every stop bags are watered down and a brief shower during the troll if that’s what we’re doing. That’s why you have 3 on deck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Redjim

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,567
    I watched the bags get sprayed down every stop, i even made sure I soaked down the bags a few times throughout the day. I touched every fillet as I bagged, kept the bags of fillets covered from the sun in wet burlap when finished. The meat was no comparison to the same thru an rsw, not a fault of fish handling by the crew by any means.