Daiwa Coastal SV

Discussion in 'Fishing Tackle' started by joem83, Sep 7, 2020.

1. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,395
    So, I used to fish a Tatula SV and I really liked it until the bay ruined it. I decide to try out the Coastal SV... Here we are 4 months later after being sprayed with anti corrosion after every use, followed by a mist rinse, then an air dry with the spool out and tension cap off, finished by a re-oil of the bearings and inner pinion gear.

IMG_20200907_120834.jpg IMG_20200907_120841.jpg

And that's the last time I buy a Daiwa that isn't a Lexa :p

2. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,431
    That is good to know, have considered buying a Tatula for its casting but have held off (mainly because I have a lot of gear anyhow). I use Shimano 50 and 70 series baitcasters ( Curado, Chronarch) in the bay and have not problems with corrosion at all. I don't do anything besides rinsing off with freshwater after each trip and an occasional lube.

3. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,395
    It casts well, but I don't think it casts that much better than my Tranx 200.

4. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,395
    I was within my return window on the Coastal still, I'm getting a refund and I am so so so happy.

I was going to get another Tranx but I pre-ordered a Fathom 200 instead. I'm really excited to see how that bad boy performs in a few weeks when they start shipping.

5. Shawn H

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,552
    Good to know. I have the orginal coastal and same story as yours, alil less corroded tho lol. Had my tran longer and I think its smoother than the day I bought it. Holding up great, even internally. But I opened up my concept Z yesterday after a few months of abuse, and not a single sign of salt or corrosion inside. Very interesting comparing all the salt water reels after months of use

6. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,395
    That's good to know, I'll keep that in mind about the Concept Z if this Fathom doesn't work out. I was concerned about it being too heavy, but it actually weighs less than a Tranx 200 which surprised me.

7. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,431
    The Shimano Curado and Chronarch target freshwater fishing but don't corrode, have had them for >5 years, fish the bay >20 times a year. Old Daiwa Sealine and Penn deep sea reels I have are mostly very corrosion resistant. Making a reel corrosion proof is a matter of choosing corrosion resistant alloys, thick hard anodized finishes and avoiding dissimilar metal junctions. Polymers are corrosion proof but need to be high strength. Thin plating doesn't work. None of this is a mystery but it adds cost.
    Saltwater Reel Protection

8. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,395
    The problem is, if you put a single corrosion resistant bearing in your reel then you can market it as saltwater ready... Sigh

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,338
    Name:
    Eric
    I feel ya. Never owned a daiwa baitcaster, but killed numerous baitcasters ranging from 40-150$. I enjoy fishing baitcasters but have gone mostly to spinning for the crazy long life and continued performance. Guess I gotta buy a tranx if I want a baitcaster to make it past a year in the salt..
    Meanwhile I have 20$ spinners still kicking after 3 years

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,338
    Name:
    Eric
    I own a handful of Penn and daiwa conventionals that are 30+ years old and pretty damn clean. Killed a curado K in a year.

11. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,395
    I've had my Tranx for a year or two and the last time I took it apart it looked pretty good still. It's not perfect, but it still functions very well.

12. Gabemorales

Gabemorales KelpSnagger
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,724
    Name:
    I have one
    I just recently read about the new coastals and how they’re no bueno. Shawn H heard that older Coastal is a workhorse and that it’s a great reel. The new ones have proven apparently to be trash. At least in the salt.

The brave soul to have ordered the fathom lol, PLEASE let us know how it goes when it gets to you and keep us all updated!

13. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,395
    Tackle Warehouse has a great return policy, so I figure if the Fathom 200 is a heavy clunky piece of **** I can just return it and get another Tranx. I'm really bummed to hear that the Coastal SV is a piece, I was really excited for it and I was extremely disappointed when I saw the innards of that reel after like, 10 sessions.

I'm sure there is a lot of interest in the Fathom baitcasters, since we all love their conventionals on this forum, so I'm happy to take the plunge and give you my review when I get it!

14. Gabemorales

Gabemorales KelpSnagger
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,724
    Name:
    I have one

The price point for those Daiwas too, not friendly to the wallet!

Lots of similarities to the Abus and the premiere line. Hopefully they’re great.

15. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,395
    Yeah you would think that at $250 the reel would actually deliver, alas...

16. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,424

Which store has a 4 month return policy?

17. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,395
    Tackle Warehouse, apparently. I contacted their customer service, told them about the reel and explained my maintenance routines. I guess they were feeling generous!

18. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,170
    I remember the older (grey version) Lexa 400 had similar issues. I'm not sure if the newer version corrected that or not.

19. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,111
    You guys pre-service your reels out of the box? Not all reels off the assembly line are equal.