Daiwa Saltist west coast

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Bassmann86, May 20, 2021.

1. Bassmann86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +732
    Good morning SDfish

I recently stumbled across this rod on tackle warehouse. The specs seem promising and the price is very reasonable. Does anybody have any experience with this rod? Thanks

2. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,386
    I have no experience with them, but out of curiosity, which model are you thinking of?... Daiwa makes some great rods..
    Butch.

3. Bassmann86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +732
    I’m actually going to go with a Black hole Suzuki 10’ 1/2-2oz 10-20lbs braid mod fast to toss hard baits for halibut

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,386
    That rod gets some great reviews... I was gonna get it as well, but went with the Dark Matter OB Surf instead... The reason I did was that I didn't like the long but end of the rod... More of an "East Coast" type rod... But a lot of guys really like the Suzuki and the longer butt... Enjoy your new toy...When are you supposed to get it, or have you?.. Give us a equipment report..
    Butch

5. Bassmann86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +732
    I’m actually going to order it up after work today. I don’t mind the longer butt section on the rods. How do you like the dark matter ob?

6. Rawdeezy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +518
    I think squidco has this rod in shop if you’d like to take a closer look. I have it paired with the coastal 150!

7. Peter86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,074
    Name:
    Peter J Sandoval
    I feel like I saw this while at anglers choice the other day as well.

8. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,386
    It does what I ask very well, but I’m used a slower, lighter rod, so this one feels just a little different to me.. It cast its range very well, and is sensitive, I just need to get used to it.
    Butch

9. Shane T.

Shane T. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +378
    Name:
    Shane
    I had some store credit at Tackle Warehouse, so ordered the Diawa Saltist WC yesterday (9', ML). Will report back shortly.

Still looking for the perfect LC rod, I'll be comparing this to my Phenix Trifecta Pro.

Midnightpass, that Dark Matter OB looks awesome. That will probably be my next stick. Side note, I'm using Diawa's new BG MQ as my primary reel now. Absolutely love it.

10. Gabemorales

Gabemorales KelpSnagger
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,486
    Name:
    Gabe
    It’s a great all around rod, but I feel like I can toss an LC just as far with less effort with my Scimitar. Much less nimble and more stiff but very light and honestly love it for the surf.

11. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,602
    Name:
    Keath
    You will not regret this decision and suspect you will never use another rod. Black Hole has spoiled me.

The 10' Suzuki throws hard baits a mile and has sensitivity to flyline a crab under a corbina's barbel.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  12. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,386
    K-Bo, how does it throw the 5/8oz LC? That weight is at the bottom of the range for the Suzuki..Does it load up properly? My Dark Matter likes the upper range better, but to be fair, I’ve only tossed a C-rig with it. I’m going to have to try the LC and a few other hard baits to see how it performs.
    Butch

13. Bassmann86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +732
    I was looking at the black hole website and stumbled across the 9’Ul Suzuki. 9’ MF 8-20 3/8-2oz. Does anybody have any experience with that rod? They also make a 9’6” version of that UL

14. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,602
    Name:
    Keath
    I have no trouble casting LC 110 or 115. In fact I can probably get an extra 5-10 yards further out than the standard 9' steelhead rod. When I buckle up a Daiwa SP minnow (5.125" 7/8oz model) I can get another 5-10 yards on top of that.

15. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,602
    Name:
    Keath
    I checked out the 9' & 9'6" at Fred Hall 2018/2019. Both rods were well built and I suspect will out perform other rods with the same specs. Never fished with either one. I've been fishing with the 10' for 2 years and when I try to use anything shorter in the surf it just doesn't feel right.
    I do have a couple acid (spiral) wrapped conventional Black Hole rods. The Challenger Bank line, C-691UL-S and C-701L-S. These are awesome jig rods. I had an absolute blast using the 701 off Oside pier when the bonito were running last year.

16. Bassmann86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +732
    you are really making my wallet run and hide right now. What reel are you running with your 10’ Suzuki?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  17. Shane T.

Shane T. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +378
    Name:
    Shane
    +1

Just purchased the Black Hole Suzuki 10' based on K-Bo Smack's rec.

Working on my excuse to the wife now...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  18. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,602
    Name:
    Keath
    Sorry bro, the reel I've paired with the Suzuki won't help. Diawa Saltist 4500. Great reel, super durable, and it balances the 10' rod almost perfectly. No fatigue from casting or c-rigging all day. I'm not kind to my surf gear and the Saltist has been running strong with a freshwater douch after every other session and top end disassembly/clean once a month. perch killer is another Saltist user.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,602
    Name:
    Keath
    All right!! You will have a smile on your face when you walk off the beach. Lifetime guarantee on the rod too. I busted my first rod on the jetty (totally my fault - slipped and went down hard) and Black Hole replaced it w/o even asking a second question. Good company and great people to work with. Kil is the fishy dude, Jane runs the business.

Oh and...good luck with the Mrs :emoji_grimacing:

IMG_20200112_122435 (1).jpg

20. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,386
    Thanks K-Bo
    Butch