Dana Landing half day skiff question

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by spicymayo, Jun 30, 2021.

1. spicymayo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,251
    For those of you who rent these regularly, whats the chances of walking up to dana around 7 or 8am on a weekday and there being skiffs available for a half day session? Should I just get there at 6am for a better guarantee? I dont think I can reserve one because I dont really want to spend more than 4 hours on the water.

2. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,470
    Just be there when they open. There will be plenty. Just make sure you walk down the dock to their shack, most people who do not know will actually go to Dana Landing to rent them, only to be redirected down the dock.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. mlzpinoy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,057
    I think they have 4 skiffs they let people reserve 2 and the other 2 is first come first serve. If you walk up on the weekday you might get one at 6:00 to 7:00 but not on the weekend they will be gone...

4. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,221
    I have never had an issue getting a skiff on a weekday.

5. spicymayo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,251
    thanks guys. i was hoping to do a little shore pounding at gray light then grab a skiff later when its bright out, but i guess i'll be waiting at dock at 6.

6. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,470
    Grey light is good there from shore for the most part. Sneak some casts from the dock and be rewarded.

7. spicymayo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,251
    looks like seaforth opens no earlier than 9:30am. any reason not to rent from there, other than the traffic on the water the later that i start? i usually rent from seaforth in sd bay.

8. Noms

Noms Dirty taco maker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,699
    Name:
    Angel
    Boat:
    15 gregor tin can
    Glorietta Bay usually has skiffs during the week. Fishing under the bridge is always fun too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Rawdeezy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +595
    Mi know for seaforth they’ve been doing reservations online. If I don’t have one, I usually call them first and see if one is available for same day and if there is then do the transaction over the phone.

10. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,470
    I used to rent out of seaforth monthly. They also used to open at 7am. When they changed their hours, then their prices, I changed my skiff renting choice to Dana. Dana also puts you near the action faster in the main bay. It’s a chug if you rent at Seaforth from qb out to the main bay. Dana has a nice on board bait tank, Seaforth has a sled which kills 50% of your $40 bait in no time. If you’re a plastic tosser, then it really depends where you want to fish to determine which place can be more convenient. But with the hours of operation, Dana is the choice imo. If you only plan on fishing the basin or just out front and time is not an issue, Seaforth is your choice.
    One last thing, Dana’s skiffs seem to be more dependable than Seaforth’s. I’ve had to have someone come out and replace skiffs so many times with Seaforth, hasn't happened yet with Dana.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  11. spicymayo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,251
    Im not much of a bait fisherman, so seaforth wins there with maneuverability in the boat compared to dana's huge baitwell in the middle of the boat, but getting out to the fishing grounds quicker with dana sounds good too. does dana have any skiffs that dont have a baitwell?