Day pay lake fishing near Oceanside?

Discussion in 'Panfish' started by I-am-Will, Feb 28, 2021.

1. I-am-Will

I-am-Will Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295
    Name:
    William
    Title says it all, or o hope it does.
    I finally talked one of my good friends in to getting out of the house and go fishing with me. Problem is he does not want to pay for a license, mainly because this will probably be his only time out. So I'm looking for a day pay lake thats not too far from Oceanside. If anyone has a suggestion, (other than santee lakes) lay it on me. Don't care if it is release only. Thanks guys.

2. Fishingnoob619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +511
    Lake Dixon.

3. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,044
    according to this page:
    Fishing | Poway, CA - Official Website
    It's seven dollars for a daily permit to fish Lake Poway, and no state license is required. But call them first, because that page also says there's a $10 entry fee for non-residents. I think that's for day use, per car if you're NOT fishing...but call to make sure.
    Dixon, same details, but the daily permit is $9 according to this site:
    Fishing | Poway, CA - Official Website
    Maybe Henshaw? sketchy site, not clear on fishing rules....

To be honest, there are so many tools, drunks, kooks and tweakers (and people who just act like such) hanging around local reservoirs it can be a crappy experience for someone who just wants to relax. I don't mean to be so negative, but there are so many posts popping up here about long lines, rude fishermen, and a lack of fish actually landed....It's a crapshoot.

I'd pop for a one-day license and relax by a lagoon...or walk along a local creek. Chances of landing a fish are as good; chances of running into a pack of rabid combat fishermen, very low.

GOFO (Grumpy Old Fart Out).

4. Bird334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,324
    Your friend could buy a one day license, or you could fish Dixon or Poway. Plus another option would be the Pier.

5. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,941
    One day license, and take to Oceanside Harbor or up to Dana Point and fish in that harbor. Or any of the lagoons north county has to offer (I'm jealous lol). Or any of the piers. Or drive down to the bays, and get into some good'uns there!

6. I-am-Will

Ratings:
    +295
    Name:
    William
    I was un aware of a single day license, is it just like my annual license? If he gets the day one i can take him anywhere it is legal to fish? I have heard good things about the Oside pier. As for the lagoons, i have been wanting to fish some of them, but every one i stop by has a no fishing sign. I assumed the lagoons were just off limits, reserve areas or something.

7. Bird334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,324
    One day license you can fish anywhere, The pier you do not need a license at all

8. F1$H

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +738
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo 13
    Libby lake. make a little rig with a #8 hook and little chunks of hot dogs. All the cats and bullheads you could want

9. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,222
    The one or two day license covers both fresh and salt, where as a yearly just covers fresh and you need an additional salt stamp. It's $17 for a one day, $27 for a 2 day, and $53 for an annual license (+$6 for salt stamp), so if there is any inkling of fishing more than 2 days, it's worth the annual pass. You do not need a license for piers. Most lagoons in SDC are restricted for fishing.

10. I-am-Will

Ratings:
    +295
    Name:
    William
    Awesome. I told my buddy about the day pass. He is willing to pay the 17$ for a day. I tried to talk him in to the annual license, I honestly don't think he will use it more than once. It has taken me almost a year to convince him to even go out once. He is not an outdoorsy kind of guy. But if i can get him to hook just 1 fish, i think i can change his mind. Looks like we are planning on the end of the month. I will update if we catch anything after. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.