Debunking myths about bass size and bass in general.

Discussion in 'Bass' started by Linebig, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,130
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-videos/bass-fishing-fish-biology.html

This was great! It is long. It just shuts the door on so many Myths about what people think or say about bass from how big they can get or how smart they are to why they do what they do. It has something for every bass fishermen.I will make a bet there is more than a few items in this video that you will go... No kidding? I thought something totally different...

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,474
    what an awesome video. Thanks for sharing bud! 40 years in the field, yeah,,,I'll trust him.

Tight lines @Linebig

3. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,546
    I was initially turned off by the length of the video, then I saw that there was a text version. It takes a fraction of the time to read as it does to listen to the presentation. Good stuff!

4. DA CZAR

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,051
    So....I guess my question would be ...if Bass live longer in the north cuz of colder water why isn't there more "near world record" bass caught there instead of Southern warmer water lakes like in California...which has I believe a more constant near world record catch of bass?...

5. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,301
    Shoot, my anti-virus software won't let me go to that site!:(

6. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,130
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    The reason is food and forage. They move slower don't go after other fish as aggressively. Remember the guy said for a bass to reach double digit it has to be an agressive bass from the time it 15 inches on up. Every day it can't get the right amount of food hurts it later down the road. We get big fish from much longer warm seasons however our fish also die faster. I noticed a huge growth pattern at El cap 10 years ago. It might have been from last generations bass doing off and new bass coming from the previous spawns. This was well before the trout were put in. Bass went from barley 13-14 inches went to 16-17 inches in a short time.

7. galen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,156
    Boat:
    15 ft Saturn raft
    Stocker trout= swimming Big Macs! Warmer water= higher metabolic rate = more growth per season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. indymusky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +659
    Bass don't get as big in the north for a couple reasons. One, they aren't Florida strain bass. Two they barely eat in the winter and in ice locked lakes they just about hibernate.

9. DA CZAR

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,051
    I guess I just assumed he was talking about the florida strain ...Didn't stop to think he could have been talking about the Northern strain..like the ones in Barrett

10. DA CZAR

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,051
    I think I see the same thing happening at Murray ...seems like there are a large amount of good size chunky bass..with a few biggies thrown in the mix....

11. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,130
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    you can still have other species at double digit. not into those crazy numbers like we get from our bass. we have to remember 10 pounds is double digit even though that seems like small double digit to many south west coast anglers. seeing those 17-18 pound fish..wow. And knowing there was a 25 pound fish landed... just crazy. makes 10 look like a Bluegill.

12. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,180
    Boat:
    SR-18
    Growth rates could be much better than they are in SoCal. Unfortunately the pendulum has swung toward almost total catch and release for LMB in CA in general. Harvest rates of LMB at DVL are 2%, Skinner 5% and Hodges <1% (2014 CDFW creel data). Other waters are likely very similar. This doesn't help growth rates at all. It maintains high interspecific completion among cohorts for the limited forage and space afforded by our relatively small waters, which slows growth. Growth rates would be much better if more people practiced selective harvest and took 12-18" fish home to eat.

13. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,130
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    However with the amount of people fishing those waters here in San Diego if they did catch and keep there would be no fish left within a few short years. El cap was on the brink of gone many years ago from everyone catching and keeping everything. Once they put the 15" size limit it slowly came back. That was an important part of the video. The catch and keep only works in a truly manged lake. If we only allowed people to take the fish in a curtain size or slot it would give the bigger fish a chance to grow, if they take any fish of legal size you loose everything you gained very quickly. That would mean the workers would have to check every person leaving the lake like they do at skinner and few other lakes. If not why bother... They will have fish in their wells that too big or too small. So for our tiny lakes catch and release is very important. San Diego lakes have plenty of huge bass, that does not mean they will live forever. They are all at the end of the cycle.