Del Mar 3/8

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by SDbassin1904, Mar 9, 2009.

1. SDbassin1904

SDbassin1904 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Took the old man out to del mar on sunday around 2 on an extremly low tide. We started fishing clear water holes and pockets for a reaLLY slow pick on bsp and small bats. It wasnt until later in the afternoon until we figured out the pattern of gravely sand and murkier water. Once we did the pick got real steady on the 1 inch grubs.

Final count for the two of us was 40ish bsp and 3 small bat rays

Does anyone know what time of year the sand crabs show up?

2. OWNING

OWNING Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    sand crabs should be accessible around June-ish

3. SD Transplant

SD Transplant Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been planning to take my old man out at Torrey or Del Mar.
    Maybe you could share what color grubs you used? I've been told to use small grubs but no particular color were mentioned. Also, any help with how best to rig the grub / what set up?

Thanks

4. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40
    The go-to grub color for surf perchin' is something usually referred to as MORF (motor oil/red flake). A 1-1/2" or 2" MORF grub was the standard, until the Gulp sandworm came out. Gulp sandworms in the color "camo" seem to quickly be replacing grubs as the bait of choice.

Rig either the grub or a 2" section of sandworm on a size 6 mosquito hook on a sliding sinker (Carolina) rig with the just enough weight so the waves bring it back to shore slowly.

Keep your line tight and move around until you find fish. Experiment with depth, sometimes they will be where the waves break and sometimes they will be much closer, even at your feet or behind you (if you are in the water). Watch for irregularities in the surf, which can indicate deeper holes in the bottom. These spots can sometimes provide motherlodes or at least skunkbusters. If you fish grubs, slather them in Smelly Jelly (shrimp) and reapply often.

Oh yeah, light line makes it fun. 4-6lb. is perfect for fishing the surf.

5. SDbassin1904

SDbassin1904 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly what ol dirty said but I preffer the sandworms in new penny color and the grubs were in clear with red flake. With your sliding sinker on the carolina rig I never go above quarter ownce and smaller is always better in weight and line. Good luck Transplant.

6. SD Transplant

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for a your prompt responses. They are great help.
    Now, I have to get out there and find the fish. I like lighter tackle (4-6lbs line & #6 hook sound great).

7. SD Transplant

Ratings:
    +0
    Just to show the level of dedication, I just got back from Torrey Pines a few minutes ago. I caught 2 small perches. I guess the set up works..I just need more practice