DEPS 250 Advice

Discussion in 'Swimbaits & big baits' started by Mrvoy, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Mrvoy

Mrvoy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Hello San Diego Trophy Hunters,

Any one here have any Deps 250 experience? Beginning of of the year I purchase a DEPS 250 in blue gill pattern and have been throwing it mainly at Murray and some at Jennings. So far nothing but skunk and only a few followers. I don't have a boat, mainly fished from the bank. I'm new to swimbait/glide bait fishing. I'm looking for any advice that would help out a fellow shore angler gain some confidence. How does one work the DEPS 250 (retrieve speed, depths, where to throw it, time of day, time of year, etc..)? I know I'm asking for a book but any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

2. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,789
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I'm wondering if the fish have grown wise to the glide. Feel the same way about the Plopper. They will both still work, but not as they once did.

3. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +729
    Maybe Nick Arevalo can chime in on this one. He throws the Deps a lot and most of his posts often showcase this lure.

4. Nick Arevalo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +451
    Boat:
    None
    I would like to start off by saying that I'm not a swimbait expert. I just have them around and if I'm in the mood to throw them then I will. I change up speeds to see what fish react to more. I will sometimes do aggressive glides by turning the reel handle really fast, or I will just do a normal straight retrieve with twitches mixed in. If you see a follower speed the bait up for one or two cranks then pause it. That is a good way of turning followers into biters. I have found it to be kind of hard to fish the baits deep because they tend to come back to the top water column. With tuning you can get them to get down. If I'm fishing a deeper lake I will let it sink down to get near the structure. You can use fluorocarbon to get the bait down deeper. I do shore fish all the time because I do not have a boat, so I am limited to where I can throw the bait. I will fish around rocks, sunken trees, weed-lines, docks, shade lines, points, and other similar structure. Usually when I feel like throwing the baits I will just bring that rod and a spare bait and throw it all day. From what I've seen fish don't really care what time of day it is. While people do throw them during the winter and catch fish, I like to throw them in the spring, summer, an fall because the fish are not as lethargic.

Here is an article I found that talks about the 250 a little better. --> Deps 250 Article